Foxtail Agave, Dragon-Tree Agave, Spineless Agave 'Boutin Blue' (Agave attenuata

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Foxtail Agave, Dragon-Tree Agave, Spineless Agave 'Boutin Blue'
Agave attenuata

Here is an example of the 'Nova' form of this plant showing its unusual blue coloration (compared to the more common green coloration of the 'normal' variety)

Thumbnail by palmbob

What stunning beauty, both in shape and color. I went to the Huntington Botanical Gardens and saw an agave, I think this one, with no identification. Thank you for the name so I can find it and put it in my garden!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Good luck! I have been looking for this form of A attenuata for years (not readily available)

santa barbara, United States

I have two questions about the "blues".
1) Is there actually more than one variety- Are the Huntington Blue, the "Nova", and the Boutin blue different names for the same cultivar? My guess is that there are two cultivars: One with bloader leaves than the other. Also, I still don't know for sure which might have more blue color- whether glauca or blue grey?
2) What methods do people know of increasing the blue color. I have found that shade helps. And water seems to help. Does fertilizer help? Any certain kind of fertilizer help?
Finally, Carpenteria nursery carries many specimen succulents, including the "blues".
Tuscanman

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.