Plastic Gallon Milk Jugs make mini Greenhouses

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I use the plastic gallon milk jugs to simulate a miniature greenhouse for starting some seeds/plant cuttings. Cut the bottom off of the milk jug about 2 to 3 inches high. Fill with potting mix/seed starter of your choice and plant seeds or cuttings. Set the remaining top of the milk jug in place and slide it down over the bottom a bit. (You can tape it in place if you like) When it gets too moist in there you can remove the little plastic screw-on lid for a few hours.

Hope this helps.

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 7b)

What a great idea! I'd been using those little plastic dishes you get for carryouts/leftovers from restaurants. This is a much better idea!

I have another use for leftover plastic gallon milk jugs....I cut the front 3-4" off of (just enough to open an area wide enough for your hands to go in, but leave the handle) and put it on my sink counter to put composting material in. It's small enough to not take up much room and when it's full, I empty it into a empty,large, lidded scoopable cat litter pail outside the back door. When that is full, then it goes to the compost pile.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images