Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

Cockscomb Celosia 'Amigo Mahogany Red' (Celosia argentea)

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Common name: Cockscomb Celosia 'Amigo Mahogany Red'
Family: Amaranthaceae
Genus: Celosia
Species argentea

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/55099/

Thumbnail by nathalyn
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous! (I'm a sucker for dark and/or metallic foliage!)

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Terry, I have two other varieties of celosia with the dark foliage. I'll have to take pictures and send you those!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Nathalyn the texture in your photo is awesome. It almost looks 3d! Great photo.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Nathalyn that is a great pic. Just love the colour & texture of the leaves. Also like the huge flower/seedhead. How soon did you start these inside or did you direct seed? I tried some celosia last year but started them way too soon & ended up throwing them out. That one is fantastic.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Broots, I see that we are in very different zones. So, you need to allow for the climate difference.

I start mine in peat pellets under grow lights and then move them to the garden when they are about 2 inches high.
These were put in the ground around the first of June. They do not grow much until it warms up. So, I would start them inside about 3-4 weeks before you can count on daytime temperatures of 75 degrees. The hotter it is, the faster they grow.

The taller ones need a longer grow season than you may have. But the Amigo Mahogany mature in only about 9 weeks!

I did start some for a friend in Ohio, and then couldn't get up there until late June. So, I transplanted them to small pots (4 x 4) and put the pots outside. They grew to 18 inches high and had heads starting on them by the end of June. I only had to be careful to keep the small pots watered everyday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.