Ornamental Sweet Potato, Sweet Potato Vine 'Ace of Spades' (Ipomoea batatas)

Mondovi, WI

Common name: Ornamental Sweet Potato, Sweet Potato Vine 'Ace of Spades'
Family: Convolvulaceae
Genus: Ipomoea
Species batatas

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/53070/

Thumbnail by Junebug313
Hendersonville, TN

I have been told that the vines have tubers very similar to sweet potatoes. A friend of mine digs them up and stores them for the next year. I will be trying it this fall.
An interesting note, a real sweet potatoe vine, the stems are a Korean delicacy. I wonder if these are also edible.

Mondovi, WI

I took clipping and kept them in water over the winter ~ then after last frost replanted them outside. I will try the tubers also this winter. There were 4 varieties at our greenhouse this year.

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Did these plants overwinter after you dug up the tubers?

I'm interested in saving mine for next year.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I pot up mine every year and bring them inside. Keep them well-watered and in a nice sunny location. I take cuttings off and on throughout the winter and put in water to root. Root in only 1-2 days!!! Then I pot up the rooted cuttings and put under grow lights. Instant greenery come first breath of spring! Very, very easy!

My 'Marguerite' tuber is huge and it just keeps sending out more vine that I keep trimming. I'm doing the same with 'Blackie' this year and my mom has a variegated one I'm gonna try to get cuttings from.

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

That's a great idea langbr, but I dont have a sunny location AND houseplants DIE in my care

*cries*

I can grow anything outside, but indoor plants are not my forte'!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Don't lament Osteole.....I can only grow philodendron and spider plants indoors!! I can't even grow Christmas Cactus inside!

Really....these are SOOOO easy inside! I even let them get too dry. The leaves start to wilt and I remember they need to be watered! Duh! Give it a try...what do you have to lose? I just set mine in a pot on the floor in one of 2 south-facing windows for the winter. I put a plastic drip tray under the pot and water it deeply and then in a week or 10 days I water it again. You can wait and take cuttings when spring is nigh and then root them (1-2 days only remember!) and then pot them up outside or plant in the ground.

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

LOL What do I have to lose? uh the plant? LOL

I will try it

Thanks for the advice :)

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Won't the plant die back to the ground outside? Maybe not in your area.....but it does in Zone 6. PDB shows hardy to Zone 9a.

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

9-11

So yes they would die back, and not return the next spring

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images