Delicate Subject?

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

melissa i am so sorry that you fell prey to the few bad ones. i have also be stifted before but just chalk it up to experience and keep on doing.i have at times fell behind in my trades and it seems to take me forever to get caught up. i am just now finishig getting all caught up since april. due to injuries and surgeries in the family. so maybe some of your trades will come on thru. whether they do or not just remember all dg's are not this way and we all love to trade. sometimes we all fall prey. just keep the names of those who did this handy and never trade with them again. we are glad to have you as amember. it makes me so angry when one of my fellow dave gardeners gets hurt this way. i feel like all of you are family. keep on smiling and if you will post what you did not get and if i have it i will share with you. janet

Helena, AL(Zone 7b)

Melissa, sounds like we have all had this experience at least once. Mine was also when I first started trading . I was tempted to not trade again but I decided I would not let one bad experience stop me and I am so glad I made that decision!

Everyone else has been wonderful, very prompt to send plants or seeds, willing to take SASE when I have nothing to trade, which is often. Hang in there, the people you meet here will make you glad you did! I look forward to getting to know you!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Gretagreta---You have mail! I've been emailing you endlessly about my uncashed check. AFter reading your post above I just KNOW you are referring to our fern trade. Please double check your email registered on DG.....I never get a reply from you. Have you changed email addresses?? Email me separately.
Brenda

(Zone 4b)

Brenda !!! Youve got mail too. You are a great trader and were not the person I typed about! So sorry to un nerve you like that! I am a new trader and should have e mailed you right away with your prompt SASE. Please excuse me!
Greta

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Are the trade lists open so anyone can view them?

Perhaps they should be? Some type of search function, similar to the "see what threads this person has posted" a line like, see the trades this person has completed... not particuarly WHAT they traded, but just if the person they were trading with had marked the trade complete or not. Of course that would make it totally necessary for everyone to use trade tracker, but, it might be an incentive for folks who have a habit of not completing trades, to complete the trades they've committed to, particuarly before starting new trades, or to not trade at all until they're caught up.

I know I would have loved to have had a tool for that.... not partiuarly a feedback type, just completed, yes no or pending would suffice.

Of course exceptions could be noted for "not shipping til fall" or whatever.... but just from looking at this thread, and from the emails I've received, I'm definitely not alone.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, I've sent out 64 boxes of irises & Tigerlilies & daylilies in the past 2 weeks. I got back checks & cash from 32 people for postage. 24 gardeners sent me everything from daylilies to irises to Hollyhock seed to Naked Ladies & more! Some gardeners were so generous that I was able to share with other DG people & my local friends. I received many lovely cards & thank yous.
The Historic Irises roots I received alone are worth the whole process. It makes we want to skip winter (YES!) and go straight to spring iris blooms!!! My new flowerbeds are going to be glorious....
Only 8 people wimped out on me. I know their names.

Akron, OH(Zone 10b)

We know their names too Wanda. This is a very small "Virtual" community.

Davena

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Uh-oh! Wanda, I am one of your wimps! I think you were supposed to get back to me about what you would like because you were in a hurry to mail. I thought about just dropping the postage in the mail but since my kids were excited to open my package, they sort of ripped off the postage sticker. Argh. I do realize I owe you. Sorry I have not contacted you.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Whew!
I actually panicked and called the bank to see if the check had cleared. LOL!
I don't want to be on that list.

Cheri'

LOL Badseed, I know you're okay and we're in contact. Don't worry about it. Hey, we all know it's not the people in this forum on the list... So, when do we get to compare "wimped out " lists??? LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Honestly, since I have been here, I don't think I have gotten wimped and I have been here two years. If I were to be honest, I think I have gotten more than I have sent out. I sort of have a running total in my head of people that have sent me things and never even wanted the postage. I know one of these days, I will happen across something they want and I will just pop it into the mail and surprise them. I do however feel guilty being on the owing end. I think that is one reason I like to send nice boxes to newer gardeners. They don't expect it. LOL

I find most gardeners are very generous. After all, perennials multiply pretty fast. I'm always falling in love, putting in too many, then removing them to add something else. Never enough room Do I have to leave grass in my yard??? LOL I've sent out over 80 packages now & I've definitely gotten more than I planned on!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Wanda, you still have grass??? LOL My front yard is down to mower wide paths around gardens. he he he I sure hope I find my next house before I am ready to sell this one so I can move a bunch of stuff before I list. I plan to leave some, but I seriously doubt any new home owner would know what half the stuff I have is, let alone know how to take care of it. If I ever drive by to find it all tilled under by some grass lover, I will die ten times over!

Akron, OH(Zone 10b)

Or worse yet, my friend sold her home. Took her 10 years to get her gardens the way she wanted. The hubby switched jobs had to move to another state. The people she sold it to made the front yard a TRUCK PARKING LOT!!!! The backyard was bulldozed to make room for an auto graveyard.
OUCH!

I've posted what I said above to Dave...

Perhaps if more of us who have been burned speak up, he can implement some sort of check and balance for us.

http://davesgarden.com/t/395763/

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

well I just read a post about irises that made my hackles rise. I think you had posted on that one Wandas. I can't believe someone could so calmly answer Indas post and still know what she's doing is wrong!! Sad indeed.

Tina

Well, I'm happy to say that I've sent out over 100 seeds, plants, irises, daylilies & such in the past few weeks--and only 2 "no shows". I think that is excellent! Most people sent postage & some incredibel people sent trade irises, daylilies, seeds & more! I'm a very happy camper!! And my garden will show it next spring/summer!

I'm VERY happy with the trades that have been completed... and since that very first trade, I've not had anyone at all say they were sending something, and not follow through. Which is what makes me think that there are just people out there who prey on newbies.

Does the good outweigh the bad, without question they do, especially people like you Wanda!!

Helena, AL(Zone 7b)

I have to post this. Earlier in this thread I had posted that I had a trade go bad. Well, I received my trade! Not everthing but most of it. You could have knocked me over with a feather because it had been 4 months. I wont post the traders name because I don't want to embarrass them but, " Thank You So Much. You Will Never Know How Much This Means To Me"

That is fantastic Sharon!!

See, it all works out in the long run! We have to trust & hope that others are the same. The idea of someone preying on the newbies is disturbing. I would like everyione to have as much fun in Dg as I have. It would be a pity if one bad experience put someone off from trading...

Akron, OH(Zone 10b)

Wanda- I would just send them your way and it would be "all better" once you were done with them. :-)

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Wanda - I completely agree. If anything it's at least 20:1 in favor of good and honest people.

In fact, I received such generous trades early on that I sometimes wondered if I sent enough and quickly learned to always send as much or better than I've received in the past unless it's something I didn't have very much of.

That's another thing to try to be understanding about - if someone sends a "weak" trade and the person is new, it can be attributed to lack of experience, so we should graciously accept them and trust the other trader learns by example. I sure have.

Akron, OH(Zone 10b)

I am still learning- I sent so many boxes of dirt! (plants attached of course) But my traders were so nice and never mentioned a thing. LOL!

Davena

I agree Sandra, completely. When someone shares what they have with me, I'm glad for it, no matter what size the division!!

My first 2 trades after the bad experiences were with Wanda and Davena..... those two restored my faith. I still don't like the idea that there are people out there taking advantage of anyone though.

Davena, your plants were gorgeous, dirt and all!!!!

Melissa

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

davena - from what I've heard and seen - I'm sure you included some pretty nice plants with your dirt. ;-) Hopefully we'll get a chance to trade!

Davena has GREAT plants--she's too modest & too generous! It will take me forever to make it up to her!

Akron, OH(Zone 10b)

Ok guys, you are making me blush. I enjoy trading and am very glad you all liked your end of the trade.

Davena

Sweetwater, TX(Zone 7a)

Davena, Wow, Melissa complimented your DIRT! ! !

Now, that just shows what nice people we have here on DG! Where else would someone get a compliment on their dirt!

Ha ha!

LOL You guys are so funny! Davena has good dirt?? And all I did was throw it in the garden! What a waste!!!LOL

Akron, OH(Zone 10b)

It must be all that composted horse manure I have been throwing in there. :-)

Davena

Sweetwater, TX(Zone 7a)

Speaking of MANURE, I have an English teacher who could tell when a student was just "making stuff up" to write about. He just drew a little SHOVEL next to that paragraph and we all knew the S%@!...STUFF to which he was referring!!!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i went back to college at 32. at 36 i was graduating and one of my last finals i was doing well on the exam until......the last question. well i had no idea what he was talking about, didn't remember hearing it or studying it. wellllll i wrote on that exam paper. i could sit here and try to b.s. this, but i don't know the answer and you are going to know i don't know the answer, so instead of wasting your time and mine we'll leave it at this.

i know he appreciated that.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

I second that "learning by example". When I joined last year so many people were good to let me do SASE as I had NO
garden. I learned so much on how to package seed and plants. Sometimes I learned how "not" to package things too. What NO ONE told me is how time consuming it is to collect, dry, clean . . . seed.

I now have a greater appreciation for the SASE I received this past year!

Sweetwater, TX(Zone 7a)

debi ~ I, too, am going back to school at 34! I sure understand what you mean! Should graduate in 3 months if I stop posting and get to my papers and research!

My, you are all just children! LOL My husband went back to school in his 40s --that was scary enough for this old lady....

Sweetwater, TX(Zone 7a)

Wanda- you're so funny! I say the same thing about the teenagers I see who try to look so grown up - "they're just babies!" I don't feel young sometimes, when I have 21 year olds in my classes!

I spent 7 hours this week sewing costumes for my daughter's high school theatre production--talk about young! Most of the boys still had baby faces!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i was feeling good, young and back in school at 34. life was good. well i'm in line at the cafeteria getting a coffee and this young gentleman says "excuse me mam". yup the dreaded mam word. lol talk about taking me down a few pegs. lol

34? WOW! That's back when I had a waist & no babies! Those were pretty good days, but I love my age now too. Different priorities, different challenges.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images