Senegal Date Palm, African Wild Date Palm (Phoenix reclinata)

Keizer, OR(Zone 8b)

Common name: Senegal Date Palm, African Wild Date Palm
Family: Arecaceae
Genus: Phoenix
Species reclinata

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/54802/

Thumbnail by IslandJim
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Nice plant.. where is this?

Keizer, OR(Zone 8b)

venice, florida. it's in a neighbor's yard. my caption does not seem to be accessible to me from here, so i'm not sure what i said. at risk of repeating myself, however, i think this is a phoenix reclinata x p. sylvestris cross. the phoenixs here seem quite irresponsible in their sexual habits. one of the most glorious palms i've ever seen was a p. canariensis x p. sylvestris cross--about 60' with a stem that three adults couldn't reach around. we paid $600 for it, housed it for 2 or 3 years, and sold it for $15,000.

Whittier, CA

I'm in the wrong Business, I wish I could put together deals like that, especially with Palms. I would never have to work again. "Do what you love and you will never work another day in your life", or something like that. How old do you think this peticular reclinata is. I just Harvested some Local wild seedlings from a comercial landscape and am curious how long it will take to grow.

Keizer, OR(Zone 8b)

My guess is that it's about 10 to 15 years old from seed. It's one of maybe a dozen palms we grow at the nursery, and we wouldn't fool with it if it was too slow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.