Puyallup, WA(Zone 5a)

Common name: Sago Palm
Family: Cycadaceae
Genus: Cycas
Species revoluta

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/53327/

Thumbnail by wnstarr
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

That looks so beautiful with the baby's tears (?) at the base.

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

What a neat way to grow that palm! I can see why people might think it is a pineapple! Do you think that can be grown indoors in winters where it's too cold to keep it outside? I have that same table, by the way! Thanks for posting it. Clever idea to use the ground cover around the base. Really makes a striking display!

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

They are pretty adaptable. They live outside fine here in N. CA, but people also keep them as a houseplant. I bet you could keep one inside and keep it happy.

:o) Judith

Thanks, BP. I might just give that a try! Looks really neat.

Puyallup, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes it can and does work as a houseplant. The base is covered with babytears. The baby tears die down to bare soil in the winter outside, but bounces right back in the Spring. It too was a surprise that will grow outside year round in Western Washington state.

I need picture of th seed.The seedlings looks really nice I'd like to grow one in my garden.

Just wanted you to know that I found one at K-Mart on sale for $5! And at the grocery store for $30! Can you guess which one I bought! Now for the baby tears......

Please, please help me.....I have one of these palms...haven't had it long...the leaves are turning yellow down the middle of each stem. Too much water, not enough, too cool...???? I don't want to lose it!
Thanks for any advise...

Wavre/ greenhous +/-, IA

This plant can easyly be cultivates inside, I am in Belgium (-4C for the moment) and I have 2 plants inside. In the summer I put them outside (in the pots) in the garden.
The reason the leaves become yellow must normaly be or to cold or no anough fertilizern (or both!!)
Greetings
Albert

Thumbnail by albleroy
N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

I just got one. What kind of fertilizer do I use?

Lancaster, NY

I bought one from Home Depot (Swore I would never buy a plant from there) couldn't resist it. I put it outside in the summer in the shade not even any dappled sun.

i just recieved this plant as a gift. it is exactly like this, - minus the baby tears of course. im nervous about the seeds being poisonous. i dont have pets, only small children. will i notice the seeds when they come? should i remove them? am i over-reacting?

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

The seeds will be very obvious. http://www.rhapisgardens.com/sagos/ has some good information and photos.
The fertilizer at Home Depot is 15-5-10 with trace minerals of Iron, Manganese, Boron, Zinc, Copper, Magnesium, Calcium & Sulfur. It is from Barcelo http://www.barcelopalms.com/home.htm which also has some good growing info. (and a cool photo of a Sago covered in snow.) Do keep in mind that this is NOT a palm and does require different growing conditions.

I really like the baby's tears. I have some variegated Soleirolia soleirolii that I am going to put with mine. Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi wnstarr,

I just saw this photo, linked in a post in another forum. My compliments on the baby's tears planted at the bottom - that's a great way to cover the soil, & show off the palm above. Great idea!

Shannon

Seattle, WA

i have one out side too!, i have been exparamenting with tropicals in seattle quite fun to see wich ones make it and what kills the others, i have a few surviving that are said not to grow here, but i think its the city micro climate, it rarely snows, deffinatally have some frosty days though

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.