Bush Morning Glory, Morning Glory Tree, Badoh Negro, Borrachero, Matacabra (Ipom

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Common name: Bush Morning Glory, Morning Glory Tree, Badoh Negro, Borrachero, Matacabra
Family: Convolvulaceae
Genus: Ipomoea
Species carnea

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/52996/

Thumbnail by onalee
Houston, TX

Hello...I'm a new member and I am so happy to have finally found your website where I finally found the MorningGlory Tree....I believe this one pictured above is the one that I took a cutting off of at the nursing home where my sister is at....I placed the cuttings in a glass of water for about an hour and then dipped it into my white rooting powder...planted it and guess what...it never even wilted and the buds on it continued to bloom...I made three cuttings and gave one to my brother and one to my neighbor....and they all three are growing beautifully and blooming...I don't really know just how high these are suppose to get or how big the tree will be but they seem to be very hardy and easy to root from just cutting off a piece of the limbs....I've never noticed any seeds on mine yet...but I'm glad to know that they do make seeds so I can share them with my friends.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL Melbabe you are in for more seeds than you will ever be able to use. These bushes get pretty big- one of mine is planted in the ground and is much taller than the 6ft fence between my house and the neighbors. It blooms profusely and sometimes has a nice smell but I can't always detect it. I have one in a pot and that has contained it. The one in the ground tends to have branches that fall over so I have tied mine up to the fence. I have to cut it back often because they grow like nobody's business. I like this plant but it does need space! I never fertilize mine...I am afraid it would take over the world. LOL.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

They do get quite large - I planted mine next to a light pole (i HOPE the power company never has to go up that pole!) so I could tie the longest branches up - most of them I just allow to lay down, they seem to like that and bloom well that way. They do root very easily, great plant for sharing!

Onalee

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yikes I planted one of these in the wrong place. Does anyone know if they transplant well?

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

I've recently obtained six rooted cuttings of this plant. They are outdoors, growing quickly, and blooming profusely. However, I haven't seen any seed pods! Do they all get seed pods? What do they look like? Mine are the pic flowers just like onalee posted.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

These transplant very easily -

Not all the flowers will make seed pods, at least mine don't - it looks like ants are one of the main pollinators (at least on mine), but I have seen bees on them, too.

LA Kelley - if you check the full plant description, there are many photos of seed pods.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, onalee! I haven't seen anything like that on my morning glory's yet, but will keep looking.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks onalee I will probably need to move mine. Now I just have to figure out where!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images