The Adenium Agenda

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Thought I would start a support thread on the care of our new Co-Op babies...

Received 10/24/03
Planted into one gallon tall nursery pots
Soil - Thai growers mix ( get your own rain tree leaf compost!! lol )
Exposure full sun
Fertilized with Osmocote
Treated with systemic fungicide

Will this work ,, hehehe.. I do not know!!! But thought it would be fun to keep notes and learn from each other : ) Plus the person with the first flower wins !

Thumbnail by Brugmania
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

what have you got wrapped around the base John?? they look wonderful, can't wait to get mine.

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

tiG, It's just shade cloth... When you repot it's fun to raise the caudex (base) and expose the wonderful gnarled root system. You have to shade the newly expose area till it colors up . I just know you will win after that Malanga fiasco!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Well, I can already tell that I planted mine too deep. Guess I've learned my first lesson. LOL!!

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

WOW! I have'nt got mine yet but I had no idea they would look that good can't wait.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm still gunna kill mine...boo hoo.......

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

right here with ya CC, me too!

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Still waiting for mine. Crested, you will not kill yours. Just have "Faith". When
all else fails do like I do, just don't Baby them! I have killed more plants with to much
care, than no care at all.

Hope mine arrive tomorrow, pots & cactus mix are just waiting
for new babies.

Honeybee

Dripping Springs, TX

John here in TX I have better luck having them in early morning sun or late day shade during the hottest part of the year. They bloom better for me. Everybody!!! listen up. You all know the general rule of not watering anything that is missing leaves. The same applies for adeniums. They are not only tropicals--but succulents too. If you water when it's too cool/cold they rot!. CC don't get freaked out. I hardly ever water mine in the winter. That huge fat root is for water storage. I have them in a south/west facing window and I still have good luck. And if you go to replant them in the spring leave them lay out of the soil for about 4 days before you place them in new soil. The torn roots will heal and no soil born disease with get in them.

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

DR, Great pointers! We get to put them in full sun here in humid South FL.. the only trick is to not turn the pot as the side that get's morning sun will burn. I wish I would have know you about 5 years ago as I had huge one's planted along my house that had to be moved , needless to say getting them out was not easy and I did not let them dry and replanted that day ,they were dead in about two weeks:(

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

John:

I haven't received mine yet but I love the name of this thread. It sounds like we're involved in international intrigue and espionage. LOL

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

Day 1,Stupid question #1 how long do you leave the tape on the graft?
Bruce.

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Bruce, I went ahead and took mine off , I should of asked too! But they look fine.

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

Okay ,Thanks this is a new plant for me and I would hate to mess up.

Gilmer, TX

Got mine all planted up. Yeeks, I watered them in, but it is still warm here in Texas, so maybe they will be okay. Will have to put a big 'Do Not Water' sign on them this winter. LOL

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

From what I've seen, most of them can have the tape removed. Just take a look and if it looks like one piece is inserted into another versus the caudex growing around the cutting, leave the tape on a bit longer.

Hope to see everyone do well, and share the successes in this thread.

Chris

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

I've got mine planted at the proper depth in terra cotta pots but am curious to know if it's safe to remove the plastic tape from around the neck of the bulb were they were grafted.

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

Oh no, I planted mine too deep too :( should I repot them?

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

No need raise them up for the health of the plant, it's sort of a bonsai thing.....

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Would a combination of potting soil and perlite work?

Can someone suggest a rule of thumb for pot size?

As ever, a grateful Adenium newbie!

~Sandra~

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I mixed vermiculite, perlite, and Pro Mix in equal amounts and threw in a bunch of sand.

John, I planted mine to the depth that it looked like they had come out of their previous planting medium. I hope that is okay. I hate to have to mess with them since they have been watered in and don't like to be wet.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I got mine,i'm scared...they seem so happy right in the box.........LOL

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

grin....Karyn - I know, same here. BUT, we'll see you jumping and dancing for joy when you have flowers next year, right? These will flower next year from this size, won't they?

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Delecie,Keep an eye out for Oleander cats as they are starting up on this side,nasty lil buggers!
CC,Did you hear a high picthed (OH NO ) when you opened the box? : )
sbarr, sure they will, http://davesgarden.com/fp.php?pid=658375

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks for the heads up John. Speaking of caterpillars, yesterday in the early morning, I noticed that my 'Golden Lady' looked like a twig, with only a bit of green remaining. When I examined the plant, I saw the hugest caterpillar that I had ever seen.

Thumbnail by delecie
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

That is the tomato hornworm. Squish him or you will have lots more next year.

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks Brugie. Unfortunately, I let him go yesterday. However, if I see him again.....

Dripping Springs, TX

You let the horn worm go! uhh ohh! In the summer I put them in a jar of warm soapy water an cook them in the sun or I light them on fire with one of those long bic grill lightners. Yes, I have a mean streak.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

scissors work nicely too:)

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I have planted mine in 6 inch pots. They look like they will be dormant for a while.

Thumbnail by busybee
Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

busybee,They look wonderful! whats you soil mix recipe?it realy looks nice....

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I am still waiting for mine to arrive. :(

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Mine got here over the weekend and are waiting for me to go buy some of that cactus/succulent potting soil. I'm planning to put all 4 in one big 12" square concrete trough planter. I'm assuming they'll be okay in there. *shrug* Am I to understand that they are okay outside as long as it doesn't freeze and they don't get frost on them? i.e. I can keep them on my covered front porch all winter just bringing them in when it freezes (so long as I don't water them that is).

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

Day 2 still alive .Don't know Angie I have mine in a south facing window.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Brugmania, Betty(tortoisekeeper) and I were lucky enough to find a guy that does Bonsai. He was kind enough to sell us a couple of pounds just for these plants. He is known all over the world and has classes that you can sign up for.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I have that option too bruce, for now anyways. Once I start bringing in all the things that need southern exposure, these guys will be in precious space. We'll see! :)

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

I know what you mean. I sometimes think I need to put in more windows.

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Oh woe is me! Being a novice gardener (I started gardening last year), I did not recognize my arch nemesis. :-( I will be prepared for battle the next time he comes!

Rylaff:

Maybe our plants will arrive tomorrow. I too will be sad until their beauty graces my yard. :-(

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

excuse me whilst I laugh my a%# off... ;)

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I cant stand it! Me thinks Delecie has been inhaling too much manure. It has obviously given her a case of the vapors!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.