The Adenium Agenda

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Delecie,

I emailed Rylaff, but yours as well, were ones that got bumped to the back when it looked liked some would be short due to stem rot.

All of yours are shipping in the morning, and you should have them by Wednesday at the latest.

I'm sorry you had to suffer through all of the "I have mine" posts. :-)

Chris

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Chris:

Thank-you for the update. Wednesday sounds like a good day. :-)

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Delecie, bet ours bloom 1st! ; )

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Nobody take that bet. I had a 2 month head start on Curcuma and he beat me.

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

You're right Chris, John has the magic touch! His will bloom long before mine realize they're supposed to bloom. LOL

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Chris -

I haven't seen mine either. I hope that they weren't left at the office door this weekend, although the weather isn't a big problem right now 76F - 50F sort of temps.

I'm sure everything is fine, but please let me know.

Thanks,

Peter

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

woohoo...i got mine today, and im glad i did...they were a little cold but i warmed them up in the sun a bit..heres my question...i saw that some ppl had put theirs in pretty large pots..im no expert but they just dont look big enuff for anything larger than a 6 inch pot...do they like to be root bound or do they need lots of room for their roots?...i cant wait to see these babies grow..and now i know what a grafted plant looks like..never saw one except for a couple cacti that i have..lol

cindy

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

cindy, Here South FL they grow year round and can get large pretty quick with care...Larger pots only work here because even in the winter our sun is very strong and can dry them out in an afternoon...
Busybee, That is the best Idea on mix yet! We have a Bonsai club here and a garden center that sells all the stuff to make it yourself. Thank you as I now know what I'm going to do when it's time to repot : )

Beverly Hills, CA(Zone 10a)

I'm waiting & hoping.... maybe mine will arrive today. I have my cactus mix & pots all ready to go. I got a little over excited & ordered 15 thinking that I could send them to all my new garden pals. Oh well, I hope that I can keep them alive till they are old enough to travel.
Now the BIG question, do I need to put them each in 6" pots for sunny So Cal or could I put 4 in a larger pot? Thanks everyone,

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

I got mine yesterday. I didn't think about getting special potting soil so mine just went into Metromix. I hope that will work.
I'm going to keep mine under grow light until spring.
Kris

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Goodness knows everything you touch grows like mad in that Metromix, so these guys might be huge in a couple of months! :)

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I looked all around for Thiland Mix and Taiwan Mix, and got a lot of "duh"s from the fancy (read, expensive) local nurseries. So I am going to pound on some orchid mix til the pieces are smaller, mix with ordinary potting soil and extra perlite, and a light base level of 4 month osmocote. Meant to get some vermiculite but forgot. Starting in 6" clay. We'll see.

Peter

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Peter,
The Thai mix you have to do yourself...I've found a few recipes online... The tried and true Taiwan mix is small snone chips with a little bit of bark... it's much like a bonsia mix.. They will grow in just about anything that drains well.
Warning !!my white has buds!!!

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Brugmania wrote: Warning !!my white has buds!!!

Told everyone not to take those bets.

John,

If you have them flowering in January, and are willing to loan them out for 3 days, we'll get you a pass to TPIE in Ft. Lauderdale. It will cover all 3 days, so you can come down the day that is convenient.

http://www.fnga.org/tpie/general.asp

Chris

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

hmm.... wonder who picked that plant out for him......

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

He had a red that was hand picked for him specifically, but darn sure not a white or any of the others.

It's decided though. John gets nothing but runts though from now on, as I know he can turn anything into champs.

#@%*&

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Chris if they look good in Jan will be more than happy to bring em over ...Go to Laude alot just to hit the garden shops....
tiG! This one is white not sour grape!!! lol, after your kill on the malanga, I'm eating Thai lunch everyday and buggin the owner for tips!

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Brugmania - After reading all the talk about these plants, it does make sense to use an method to let air in and drainage, and they should do well. The mixes I found on the net were so exotic I wouldn't begin to create them! I.e.,

http://www.tropicanursery.com/adenium/cultivation.htm

These plants we got are so stout, I can't see them failing. Have them on my kitchen window sill where I can stare at their signs of growth all winter!

P.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

sweetheart, I would pick the biggest and best for you myself!!! you go, and I can't wait to see blooms.

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

John:

Your white has buds. Hmmmmmm...I didn't realize just how powerful your gardening magic is. I think I need lessons from you, most esteemed gardening wizard. LOL

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

It's not uncommon for them to send out blooms before leaves, I just bet alot more people will see a flower soon too : )
delecie, You know our magic is in the warm tradewinds that flow over South FL..... Plus Snonecrab, Bluecrab, Key West Pink Shrimp and FL Lobster, shells do wonders in the compost bin!

P., They only thing I could not find was rice husk charcoal,Plus the pig stuff!! So used plain charcoal and black cow .

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

OK,I made up my own mix
I used pro mix,vermiculite,orchid bark mix,perilite,and some of that Schultz aquatic plant soil (It looks like small gravel,doesn't dissolve so figured it might work)also added some osmicote......

I'm gunna kill them......sniff,snivel....

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i havent posted till now but i am gonna kill mine now i see it. i am still trying to find some catus mix for them but have them in miricle grow soil right now. now i got to go pull them up some as the white is below the surface. why cant these be palnt and leave alone type plants.

oh well at least i am not alone in my fears. sniff.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

John- Thanks for the further input. I may attempt to the formula after these puppies are huge in their 6" pot and need bigger homes!

Karyn - After getting all this good advice on the growing mix, I feel like an expert(Duh?) But your formula sounds porous and coarse, and I bet it works fine. My mix is probably a little finer, but I am not watering them again til the pots float off the kitchen counter!

Peter

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Here's a tip I thought of today as I was checking on the new guys.. The sprouts below the new graft should be removed as they appear,as the plant ages it will learn to stop trying ..
CC... They are going to do wonderful for you! I just hope you can find them in your GH!

Thumbnail by Brugmania
Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I am afraid I messed up - I planted mine in just pure Pro Mix. Should I repot them in something else? Like maybe throw some sand in the pro mix? I wonder if mine will grow year round here. What is the coldest they can take?

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Hiya Roz.... They should be fine if you keep a eye on the water... DR has some good pointers. a rule of thumb is under 50 water like catus, low temps will cause leaf drop and a hard freeze will kill them, above 50 to 70 just a bit more, 80 to 90's like a tropical plant that can mean once a day.. Where it is humid they like lots of air and sun, less humid less sun...pests to look out for are mealybug and oleander cats...The hybrids have been bred to be much more forgiveing in the watering then the wild types and they are not hard at all : ) The reason they are grafted is cuttings do not produce the large twisty caudex, only seedlings will, just like brugs it can take the growing out of 1000's of seeds to find one wonderful one. They are grafted onto seed stock that had not passed the test of a new flower..kinda cool ! Wish I could find something useful to do with all the Brugs I have culled so far this month! The raiseing of the plant is not done for health but looks and that is up to each peason on how they want it to be.
HTH

This message was edited Oct 30, 2003 12:19 PM

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

i saw the new growths on mine....i will remove them, but would like to know why i need to ?...i am new to adeniums and new to grafts....woohoo.....2 for 1...lol....also...why are they grafted?...boy im full of questions tonite...lol

cindy

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Cindy,

What comes from the seedling will more than likely produce the same old flower that's been around for ages. On a white one, a wild pink picotee is not desired.

Some one may be able to explain this better than I, but from what I understand, and in very simple terms, a white flower may not produce white seeds, whereas a cutting will.

Likewise, a cutting will not produce a caudex that is desirable as well.

They take a seed that has a proven germination and graft the cutting into it, thus producing a healthy caudex and a flower that is true to its parent.

If I'm way off on this or someone can explain it better, please do so.

Anyone want to talk Curcuma, where I have slightly more than a clue and 3 weeks of crammed knowledge?

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks John and Chris. I adore this plant and it is going to be lots of fun to grow.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

new potted plants need extra care, so the plant will survive.

when u allow the flower to stay on --> the flower will take off all energy from the plant, therefore weakens the plant, which will eventually result to plant death.

when u take off the flower, plant's energy is focus on root formation, thereby aiding the plant to grow more vigorous. remember the roots supplies energy to the plant. just my two cents.

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Chris, Thank you for the great explanation.... I tend to ramble to much ! : )Talk Curcuma , I'm ready to buy some!When will the new season start....

Ma Vie, Good point....... But be careful of the growing tips as they sometimes contain new branches, Remember that special tree I was going to try to graft for you... I've managed to get one to take!

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

John, I recieved my '04 pricing yesterday, and was working on it last night.

Here's my 1st draft of things to bring in.

Jan = Zephyranthes (4 varieties), Habranthus, Eucrosia, Eucycles, Scadoxus(Haemanthus), Hymenocalis variegata.

Mar = Caladiums (9 varieties), Curcuma (12 varieties, 2 new), Costus variegata, Maranta variegata.

Jun = Euphorbia (5 colors and I expect some gloves), Jatropha, and musella.

2002 = 3000 Bulbs, rhizomes, etc.
2003 = 10000 " " "
2004 = 23000 " " "

And away we grow.

Chris

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Chris can not wait : ) This was the 1st year that everywhere you looked in my garden there was color..Even when the temps where in the high 90's,humidity 100% and rain that would not stop. I'm pleased with all,the Scadoxus(Haemanthus) took me by surprize,in 6 + years I've tried the one that you can get at HD and year after year they would sprout not bloom then croak.. yours not only bloomed but is now about 2 foot tall and sending out offshoots!

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

The zephs have me a little nervous due to the minimums I have to meet on each variety. Total quantity of the 4 varieties is 11,000 bulbs. They hold well though, so I'll have 9 months or more to sell them.

I think that Scadoxus is going to be year round for us in Florida. I'm curious to see what happens after the 1st cold snap. They're tough though. Many of mine have been absolutely abused, and still look incredible. I have one pot that I've let go bone dry for nearly a month now, and it's still going strong. Very slight lightening of the foliage, but that's it. Might be a could plant for xeriscapes.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

BuriedTreasures,be sure to remind us as you get these items in.I WANT more curcumas.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have to agree with gone2seed, who lives down the road from me. I can never have enough curcumas.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Mine are just now starting the deep sleep...: (

Three Kings is in bud! I took a trip to one of the best garden centers around here, they had some very small grafted
Adenium ..are you ready for this ...gasp..28.00 bucs a pop!I left the center with a smile on my face that only a DG'er co-op'er could have!

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

Brugmania, are your Adeniums going to deep sleep? If so why?
I don't want mine to go to sleep! No sign of growth yet on mine other than from below the graft. I removed that.
Kris

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Kris..sorry : ) it's my curcumas going dorment....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.