The Adenium Agenda

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Boy, I'm starting to worry here. Three of my plants are showing no signs of growth. The other one has a couple of leaves. Is everything okay here and I'm worrying for no reason?

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Same here,one has a few leaves the others are stark naket

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I thought they were supposed to be stark naked in the winter. Unless you are growing them in a greenhouse, then they should make leaves right?

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

Both of mine are bald ... no leaves ... this is normal right?

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Butterflygirl, Sure is...Mine are just now sending out new leaves : )

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

Whew ... that's Great! It appears nice and green ... but just checking ... :)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks MVR. I'm bookmarking those just so I can refresh my memory once in a while. I thought it was interesting that the adenium be treated as a wetland tropical. Good reading.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

my pleasure Brugie :). here's another one http://www.floridagardener.com/pom/adenium.htm

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Got it!!

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

3 out of 4 of mine are NOT looking good. The graft is starting to wrinkle and shrivel away. If I lose the graft, should I even try to keep these? I have them in a mix of soil and perlite, well drained in my sunniest window.

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

sbarr, That sounds like one of two things, to wet , or to dry....

my guess - probably too dry - I was trying to be careful not to water them too much. Are these "goners"?

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

sbarr... Give em some water and see . Will keep my fingers crossed for you : )

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Mine are bald also. I have watered once since planting. Lots of perlite dries it fast. Since the plants are green, I assume that they will barely move during the winter, on the kitchen sill - which Chris confirmed for me earlier, in the coop thread.

Peter

Thanks, Brugmania. I'm trying not to feel like a bad parent.

peter - mine were bald and the graft was wasting away. I also had lots of perlite. My guess, is they were drying up too much. I'm probably going to put them on a light watering each week.

I'm just hoping if I do lose the grafts that the plants will still flower.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

sbarr, I haven't watered mine at all since I potted them up and the soil is still damp. I'm not sure I would water every week while they aren't growing.

Excerpts from the two sites above:

Watering: Needs little water during winter, especially when kept cool. Increase water during growing and blooming periods. The total watering needed is similar to crassula, portulacaria and other succulents, and it will lose leaves if overwatered.

This is sufficiently important to justify repetition; Water them as if they were coleus or tomato plants while they're growing in hot weather, but as if they were delicate, rot-prone cacti during winter. Adeniums are extremely susceptible to rot when watered too frequently during cool weather or if chronically waterlogged at any season. Use of a well-drained potting medium prevents most rotting problems.

Brugie - thanks. Right now the grafts of three of mine appear to be dying, so I'll watch them from yesterday's watering and see if anything happens over the next week or so.

I have a lot of perlite, so they definitely are not waterlogged.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Good luck, Sandra. I don't know the difference, but I guess I did not let them stay dry quite as long. They are turgid and green. Yours may come back. Hope so.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Shriveling definately sounds like too little water. It's so hard to offer a one size fits all care instructions for these, as I believe these went from zone 4 to zone 11, and then toss in that some are outside, inside, regular soil, custom mixes and so on.

As long as the caudex doesn't start getting brown and mushy, you should be ok. Even if it gets a small amount of caudex rot, they've been know to heal them selves by shedding the rot. You can also cut it out, if caught early. That makes for some very interesting caudexes.

One thing you can do to check the health of the graft is to cut the tip off of one stem. If it's green and slick, everything is OK.

I think right now for most, re-establishing a healthy root system will be the major development until spring.

I may have found out a bit more about 3 Kings. These may be a flower that turns from white, then pink, then red as it matures. I'll be curious to see how they do it.

Chris

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

That would be great if 3 Kings does bloom that way. Sure wouldn't disappoint me.

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Hehehe, ROOTS! ? I'm waiting for flowers! : )

I noticed that my 3 kings had two small grafts and thought maybe this is how it got 3 colors ?? anyone else, or did I get an oddball ?

Thumbnail by Brugmania
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

It looks like the flower changes color like a brunfelsia does. Here's a link to the picture posted on the co-op thread, you can see a couple of flowers that have two colors on them. I have teeny little buds on Three Kings, too! No leaves, though. I should get bonus points, because I'm 4 zones colder than you, John, AND your plants are bigger!

http://davesgarden.com/fp.php?pid=658377

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

OH NO!!!!!

Mine had 2 leaves and they have shriveled and died.....

They're doomed.......

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I have just now given mine a tiny bit of water since planting them. The second one is getting leaves. Two have no leaves yet. I figure that if they aren't actively growing, they aren't going to need the moisture. Crossing my fingers that I can grow them long enough to see at least one bloom. LOL!!

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

my three kings has one of the grafts shriveling also but I am just leaving it alone and hoping for the best.
I hadn't even noticed it to tell the truth till i read on this post that someones graft was shriveling and I went and looked and sure enough one of my grafts was also shriveling.
I am using a cactus based soil which has some silca gel crystals added, and it is under lights.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i got one little leaf and another one one other plant. then i have my naked one. i watered today just enought o wet around the roots not even the whole pot. i have a leaf growing below the graft but am not touching it. scared to deathh if i do it will die on me.

they are in my wash room. right now they get light but shded because the sun hasnt been out from behind the clouds in weeks.

i made my own mix. miracle grow-perlite-peat moss. they seem to be doing okay.

i have the heater on for them each night as we have been getting into the 30s each night.

well this is my update so far. keeping fingers crossed. imzadi

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Brugmania - my 3 Kings has a single graft. The picture that Ronna posted by hyperlink - same one that Chris posted on the original coop thread, I think - looks to my squinty eyes like color shifting, most apparent in the white and pink flowers.........................?

Peter

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Peter,
Thanks for the info... Bet they put two grafts in if they feel it's not branched well.
I see red one's too? : )

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Brugmania - I see the red too. I just didn't see the transition from pink to red on the flowers. There seemed to be a color jump. ....? Incidentally, I have one with two grafts - can't remember if it is the pink or red.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

On one of mine, when I got it the tip of the graft was a bit shrivelled looking, only about 1/2" or so, and it hadn't changed much, but now yesterday I noticed that maybe the 1/2" to 3/4" or so below that it is turning a darker color (almost the color of the shrivelled part). No signs of leaves on any of mine. Is there anything I can do to stop the progression of this color change. Can I trim the tip of that stem without hurting anything? The graft section itself is probably 6" long, and it is just the tip that is doing this. HELP!!
Deb

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Deb,

Cut it back below the shriveled part. If there's brown in the center of the cut, tip it back a bit more until you see a healthy green.

Chris

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Chris

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

All mine have buds. They are under Uv light for 14 hrs a day and have only been watered twice. What do I do now?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

gloat?

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

Nope, But I really am serious About what to do now.Do I leave them alone water more .Help.

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

i would be gloating if i were you dean. i have had my one single 3 kings under lights for most everyday, have been careful to not overwater, but am afraid i am killing it for some reason. It had 2 grafts and one is pretty much shriveled to death, the caudex hasn't completely turned to much but is soft. am i am sooo worried the thing is not going to survive. Maybe the drastic change in enviroment is the cause as i live in MI but our weather has been quite mild, hovering in the 50's this last week. No growth to speak of here on mine.I am proably watching it too much.!!!LOL
Gayle

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks but I can't gloat untill I've kept them alive for a year or so. Still a good chance I'll kill them.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

nah, you're doing great! mine aren't looking so great, but I think they will last a bit longer:) lol

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

OK I guess I'll just go on the way I have been and see what happens.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.