The Adenium Agenda

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

tiG, you are a riot. Mine look just like they did when I planted them, no growth, just sitting there.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

busybee -

I think you and I should adopt the slogan "ignorance is bliss". I don't know what I am doing! But at room temp, no light, and very heavily perlited mix, I am watering once a week, when the 6" pots are obviously bone dry on our north side kitchen window. No leaves, except a tiny sprout of red leaves below one graft, which I removed. Everybody still green and smooth and happy, in dream sleep.

Peter

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

i just want my one 3 kings to make it and survive. almost wish i would have ordered more but i live in a apartment that is already filled with plants.
keeping my fingers crossed
gayle

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm definitely no expert (never had these before to tell the truth), but it seems to me that a soft caudex and shriveling means rot if the soil is damp and drying up if the soil is dry. Kind of like an african violet. Limp leaves can mean it's too wet or too dry, the only way to know is if the soil is damp or not. If it's dry then water, if it's damp then walk away!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's a pic of mine. They are in a south facing window now. The one with the leaves has a greener caudex and I noticed that the caudex was a little soft whereas the other dormant ones were very firm. I figure it needed some water to rehydrate itself and it is getting a little better now.
It's down to two, not so great leaves now, but the other ones have swollen stem ends, so I figure it'll recover.

Thumbnail by ecobioangie
columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

i am no expert either but i have tried to water as directed through this thread. Mine had two grafts and only one shriveled, but i am afraid my plant is rotting. Not sure what i can do to save it.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

if u believe ur plant is rotting, take it off the soil immediately. allow it dry, place on towel paper below a lampshade. in the winter, u are better off not to water as they are very suceptible to root rot due to the cold. pls. read thoroughly http://www.cactus-mall.com/andre/large.html u will get lots of info there.

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

one of my plants had 2 grafts...i went and checked them in the greenhouse today and noticed one of the grafts was mushy and shriveled...i cut it off where it felt firm and the other graft(same plant)was fine...i have only watered slightly one time since i have gotten them..i tend to underwater all of my plants so i hope that will be good...lol

cindy

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I still haven't watered mine at all and they seem fine so far. I have removed a small growth on a bulb though today so I will probably water very sparingly tomorrow. I have now removed the plastic from the grafts on all of the plants.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Mine got a tiny bit of water yesterday for the first time since I potted them. Two have leaves now and the other two are sitting just like the day I got them. At least there is no softening or mush coming on any of them.

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Three Kings rotted away - the others are pretty dry, not going to give any additional water. Roots are firm on the others. Not optimistic, especially keeping them indoors with not as much sun in the windows.

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

I have mine under grow lights. It gets a bit hot in the room so I have watered about once a week. Mine are all solid and are just starting to show growth.

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

My Red and 3 Kings are on the porch where they get morning sun. I gave them a thorough watering the first day I received them but I haven't watered since. They are still green, bald, firm and no shriveling so far. I planted them in Miracle Grow for their hibernation and plan on transplanting them into a perlite, sand, vermiculite and peat mix, with pea gravel on top :)

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

I only had bought one 3 kings because of lack of space. unfortunately looks like it is not going to make it. i took it out of the soil and it is rotted most of the way through. some of the caudex at the end is still kinda firm but....
I really don't think i overwatered or underwatered. i have other succulents and such which are all doing well.
anyway it happens. LOL
gayle

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

gayle , : ( 3 Kings is the one I want to see bloom the most ..
Mine are plugin right along : )

Thumbnail by Brugmania
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a tiny sprout of a leaf on the red!!!! neither has bit the dust, so I'm playing the patient game and trying to ignore them.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Looking good John. I bought four and two have leaves now and one is starting to sent out a little shoot. The last one is just sitting there, but good and solid. Can't wait for warm weather to get them outside where they can strut their stuff.

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

Well I only bought one which was proably a mistake cause it is not going to make it. The 3 kings which i thought was the prettiest!! I will try this again though in the future cause i really like this plant. Glad to hear most everyone else has growth !

Gayle

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Mine are both alive and seem to be healthy but they don't look any different from the day I got them.
I'll be putting up grow lights this week so will see how they do under them.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

okay i have the one doing good even though the leaves are below the graft. i have a sprout on one graft so keeping fingers crossed. now i have one totally naked. like its sleeping deeply. no activity at all. still firm and all like it was sent. so not watering it .

how do i tell whats leaf and whats flower sprout thingy??? all my stuff is green so far.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

So how are we all doing?

John??? You've been awful quiet. Lets see how they look. No one will get mad when you show us your pictures of what must be now, 3 foot Adeniums with dozens of flowers.

Mine are plugging along. Still looking about the same, but one has a sprout below the graft. Yes, I'll cut it off when I see something else, but as of now, it's my only small victory, and I'm not getting rid of it.

No rot on any of mine, so that's a good sign.

How's everyone else doing?

Chris

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Lost the red one, but the 3 kings is doing fine.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Foliage or flower on the red, Tig?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

no, it's soft, I just found out today. it's a goner. I have foliage on the 3 kings, but it's below graft sprouts, so I guess I should take them off.

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

My red one has leafs, yeah!
I can see green coming on the Three Kings and the white one.
The pink one is still just sitting around looking just like the day I potted it.
All are still solid and no sign of rot or anything.
This has turned out to be some of the slowest plants I ever tried to grow.

Thumbnail by Paintedlady
Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Paintedlady, Looking good!
Chris they are pluggin right along the last cold snap caused some leaf drop but not much...
tiG , Not the red : (

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

it's okay, I really wanted the 3 kings more. If I can keep it going, I'll find a red later.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

All of mine are still the same but I am thinking that I detected some growth on the red one so I gave them a little drink.

Gilmer, TX

Pinks crooked but the red, white, and three Kings are doing great. Even have some small leaves. I finally felt sorry for mine and gave them a drink, they were really dry.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I have two with leaves, one without leaves but still solid, just no new growth, and the fourth one is only a paper shell. It just disappeared without my even knowing it. Wouldn't have even checked it if this thread had not been brought back up. I have no idea what is what. Figured I could tell them apart when they bloomed. Cat takes the tags out of my plants half the time anyway. I feel fortunate to have two of them surviving this long.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Well I got one of each and three have swollen buds or mini leaves. I've only watered 1(probably 2 cups worth) and a half times(just a tablespoon) since we got them. I have them in a south facing window and have started misting them recently every morning and night when I do the other stuff. They seem to be perking up. No rot! Woo hoo!

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

Gosh y'all!
I must have missed some of the growing instructions, I have been watering mine at least once a week. When the soil looks really dry they get a little drink. My plant room gets a bit hot with the metal halide lamp so that might be why they can handle it.

Burlington, IA(Zone 5a)

I have one that has leaves about 2" long. One with tiny leaves and the other hasn't done anything yet, but it is still firm and looks healthy. So far so good.. (knocking on wood). I used my husbands bonsai soil and have them in a south window. I give the ones with leaves a little drink about once a week and the other I will dribble a little water in every once in awhile.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

At the risk of jinxing mine I took a picture.

The pink and the white are doing real well,they have leaves the red and 3 kings are a little behind but have started to leaf out.....

I know I'm gunna kill them....

I was at HD the other day and they had some there,sitting leafless,they were pretty big.They wanted 25 bucks for them but I may wait and see if they mark them down when some ingnorant worker thinks they are dead....With my luck they'll toss them....LOL

Thumbnail by crestedchik
Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I seem to be having similar expeerience to the rest of you guys. I keep my three on the windowsill in our cool house, water the very drying mixture I made about 1/2 wk, and they are staying turgid. Had one below graft sprouot I excised 6 weeks ago. May move them to the greenhouse.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

For anyone who is interested, Cornell University has a fantastic deal right now: ten Adeniums for $15. They have about 900 yet to sell. These are 3- to 4-month-old Thai seedlings in a mix of colors. I ordered two sets of ten! Here's the info: 2352887754 Thai hybrid Adenium seedlings http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2352887754

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I don't think they are offered by Cornell,they may be a student or work there....but it still looks like a good deal....didn't know they had variegated ones....

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Yes, I'm told that it is the plant breeding department at Cornell University doing the sale and the shipping. Phil is the head of the department, and the seeds were obtained from Thailand. Soon they will put these Adeniums on a web site for direct sale until they are all gone.

Edited to correct the numbers: Cornell has 980 sets of 10 left. That's 9,800 left!

This message was edited Jan 3, 2004 10:55 PM

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

This is interesting.

I am an e-Bay ignoramus, but this connects to a site for Snowbelt Ademiums, who are selling three different kinds of Ademium seed: Somali, Thai and Arabicum - as well as the seedlings.

Does anyone know: (1) how plants from seed (not grafted) compare with the grafted ones we got from the coop? (Some of the pictures are really cool, sprouting at funny places on the bulbous plant body.); (2) what the difference is for the three types of seed? I's really like to try a hand at the seed!

Peter

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Peter,

Seed from hybrids may revert back to their original flower color, making it hit or miss on keeping the color uniform through out a crop. That's one of the reasons, if you read the auctions, it says a mix of color. they won't know what they have until it produces the flower.

So why not just do it from cuttings, essentially cloning the plant? The caudex is the primary reason. They're grown for both flower and caudex (variegation now as well), but a cutting can't produce a caudex. It'll just be a stick coming up.

That's why they graft. They produce the seedlings for the caudex, and then graft on the color they want.

Chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.