The Adenium Agenda

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

That's interesting. I never knew that they grafted Adeniums until I read this thread. Adeniums are related to Plumerias and are similar to them in that each seedling will be unique and could be very special or alternatively could be undesirable. Phil assures us that these seedlings will turn out to be beautiful and desirable colors. I think it's just fun discovering what color they will be. Often the color of the first several blooms is not the color that they will ultimately be.

The GardenWeb's Plumeria Forum is going nuts for them right now:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumeria/msg011547194127.html?44

There have been some great pictures posted too! Check out this one. It's the largest one I've ever seen:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumeria/msg120906286501.html?15

Here's a picture of one of mine:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I am really excited now as mine are starting to show growth at the tips of the graft and along the graft there are swelling areas. Since I pinched the growth from the caudex there has not been anymore growth there.

I have only watered mine twice since we got them. Once was just a tiny bit of water and the other day I gave them a pretty good drink and fertilizer too.

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

I have lost a red one. :-( The other red, the two whites, and two three kings are doing well. All have leaves.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Looks like I finally lost 1. Not sure which, because I didn't tag anything, but the graft is completely shot. I'm going to keep it going anyway, and see if the caudex does anything.

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Chris:

Good luck with the caudex. I hoped for the same thing but my entire plant was soft and withered away.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i lost one today. the graft died then today the whole thing is squishy. i havent watered it all week but still became squishy. two left

now i want to find a few more.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Chris -

Thanks for the details. It's really interesting how differently these behave, both the hybrids and cuttings, than most plants. That seed is pricey, if you can't even be sure of color; but it may still be a fun experiment. It's cheaper than the lottery, and a more appealing gamble!

I am knocking on wood. So far, my three ademiums, watered about 1 per 10 days, are still sitting there, firm and hibernating. I feel lucky. Just hanging in for summer!

P.

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

heres my update...all were doin well......today, my three kings(just the graft)is dieing....wwaahhhh.....my pink had some leaves, but they are falling off.....my red, is just sitting there.....the graft is rotting from where it was attached to the mother plant...the mother plants base and up to the graft feels nice and firm...anything i can do?..ill pray for the others....i want so bad for these to make it....cindy

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I don't believe it!

I went into Home depo to see if they had marked down the big ones they had and she had just thrown them away....I was going to go dumpster diving but it was -23 so I figure they were gonners anyhow....really ticks me off.....She also tossed the Orchids I was waiting to see if they marked down.....I just missed them.....

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have lost one, but the others still look healthy. Only one is starting to leaf, hoping for the best.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

crestedchik -

What a disappointment. I also seem to time these things wrong. Like getting the elephant ears, and the coleus from the highway department when the first frost is coming! I think that making an offer when the time is close, at least when one can buy the whole shooting match, is the way to go. I almost did that with the last 50 hostas at Lowe's this year - but I did not know what I would do with them all!

Peter

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

As Gene Wilder said in Mel Brooks "Young Frankenstein"
http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/frank/sounds/alive.wav

Thumbnail by PotEmUp
Gilmer, TX

Good for you !!!!!

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife.

We have liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife.

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Both of mine are still alive even after crushing the newly forming leaves on Three Kings against the light fixture.LOL
Three Kings is starting to form little flower buds but no signs of buds on the red.

Thumbnail by snowhermit
Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Snow ! Lookin GOOD! remember that the one putting on buds will branch , so wait to remove the buds if you want to till it is well formed .. Sometimes they just want to branch and will drop the buds without any help ...

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

Yours look great Snow!
I only have one with that many leafs, the other three only have tiny little green spots on the tops.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I started with four and have three left. Two have leaves and the last one is kinda funky looking, but solid. Hanging in there with it. Just moved it to more light and will see if that will help. Nice looking adeniums Terry.

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

Ok, my babies seem to be doing great ... probably thirsty ... haven't had a drop since I first got them. Both 3 Kings and Red have about 4 leaves each, firm and about to transplant since temperatures are in the low 50's at night. What's best type pot to be raised in. I thought about a hypertuffa or clay. Peat/sand soil with pea rocks on top. Does that sound ok?

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Sound like that should be a good mix. I do mine in clay, and most of the ones I've seen in Thailand were in clay or ceramic.

An update on mine. Kind of lost one. The graft and top quater of the caudex had some signifigant rot on this one, but instead of dumping it, I thought what the heck, I'll experiment.

I cut away all of the rot, until it was all green health material showing. Looked kind of ugly, but the re nubs in the picture is leaves now forming. Camera hates low light, and it's pretty overcast, so the quality is bad. More to follow

Thumbnail by BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

This one had a cluster of 6 buds.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

1 cluster of 3 buds, and one cluster of 4 buds on this one.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Group Photo

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

I can't get any of your pic's to show/load.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

all I'm getteing are red X's

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

hmmm. they were all working earlier. let's try it a gain

OK. We'll see how long these last. This is the group pic

This message was edited Apr 12, 2004 8:00 PM

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

the one that I cut away rot

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

the one with 6 a 6 bud cluster

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

cluster of 4 and 3

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

Chris, they look wonderful!! Maybe mine will put on buds when I get 'em outside =)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

No pictures again, but it is something Dave is working on.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I must have slleepy babies. Even in the greenhouse for a month, with temps from 55-85 or more, one has leafed out to a small cluster of 3 and the other two are still threatening to open their leaves. if I bring them hot chocolate in bed!

That is interesting, how you cut into the caudex, Chris, and it is leafing. It will be the grafting sstock and I'll be curious to compare it with the selected grafts.

Peter

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Finally opened, as if it knew my new camera was coming today.

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

A 3 Kings bud:

Thumbnail by delecie
Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

More buds:

Thumbnail by delecie
Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Flowers:

Thumbnail by delecie
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

down to one. any one know where to get more from?? i dont even know what color i have left. the whole bottom near the roots went mushy. everything else is still hard but the roots and bottom. oh well

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Delecie,

Is that last one a 3 kings too?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I still have three out of the original four. No buds yet, but nice growth on two of them and the third one is growing from below the graft. Three places no less. I just potted them into their permanent pots today.

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

I still have all four of mine and they are finally starting to take off. One has buds.
I was watering mine a little bit once a week, but I think that was not enough. One of mine had started to grow and then dropped all the leaves. I started to water more then, and all of them responded by growing better.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.