The Adenium Agenda

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Chris:

The last one is also 3 Kings. The photographs are of the same plant as it progressed from buds to flowers. :)

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

I guess that solves the mystery of the 3 different colors then. I think it's 3 kings that I have in bloom as well. With 6 buds on there in varying stages of growth, I should be able to see the contrast nicely.

Burlington, IA(Zone 5a)

I have three ( haven't lost one... yet) seemed to be doing fine but then this week one lost it's leaves. They turned a little brown at the tip and the rest of the leaf turned yellow and then off it dropped....

I think it's the water. Too much or too little. I have them planted in bonsai soil.

Anybody have any ideas ?

Lori

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

The water issue is a bit tricky, as we're all in such very different climates, and offering them a wide range of conditions.

Mine are watered daily, and have been for the last 2 months. They're in full sun with temps in the 80's though. If they're watered in the morning, the mix is completely dry by the next day from a combination of what the plant, and sun takes.

It's OK to let them dry, but once the soil is dry, it's time for some water. If the soil is staying wet for days on end, then a lighter mix might be needed. I thinks that's a problem some people may have, as they'll water it once, and then it's not absorbed fast enough, leaving the roots overly damp for days on end. May need to consider more frequent watering, but with smaller amounts.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I think my experience fits with Chris's advice. I made a really light mix - probably more than 1:3 perlite and peat. The plants stayed alive with initially 1/10 days watering on the windowsill. Now they get water, sometimes with light fertilizer, 2 - 3 x weekly in the greenhouse. They are still healthy (although I am only getting real leaves on one. Temps go from 55-high 80's.)

Peter

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

SoCal got me a red and a white; I took them to my daughters house in Orange County and gave her Donna's instructions. My daughter knows very little about gardening. She just sent me these pictures.

Her Comments:

"They are sitting in my kitchen window (faces east) and get full sun in the afternoon. I keep the temperature in the house 70 - 75 degrees. They each get one cup (I measure it) of water every two weeks.

That's it. I just followed Donna's instructions."

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Here is the red one. Should she remove that plastic wrap?

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef
Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Looking good, especially considering the low temps.

She can definately remove the grafting tape at this point.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Has anyone else purchased the Adenium seedlings from Phil at Cornell University? Mine are just starting to put on new leaves after losing them this past winter.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Gilmer, TX

Yes Clare, I did and 9 of the 10 are putting on leaves. Don't think I have as may leaves as you, but mine are starting. Do you happen to have Phil's e-mail. I accidently deleted it and wanted to let him know how well they are doing. If so, would you please send it to me. Thanks, Pam

Hi Pam! Thanks for your reply. It is good to know that yours are doing well. I lost a few to rot this past winter, but the rest are hanging in there. The picture that I posted above was taken right after I received and potted up a second bunch of ten on the right. After that, they lost most of their leaves. Here is what they look like today:

I'll send you an email with Phil's email address.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Gilmer, TX

Yep, that's what mine look like. I'll have to get a picture of them to post along with the ones I got from the co-op. Thanks for sending the address. Pam

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

Can I get the address so I can TRY to grow the seeds? My two from Chris are doing fine ... still just leaves ... *tapping foot waiting on buds* :)
~Tammy~

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Posted this in photos, but thought this was a good spot for it hereas well.

Thumbnail by BuriedTreasures
Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

Chris,
What a cute 'lil critter :) It's a skink right?

Wow, that is a totally neat picture, BuriedTreasures! Cool!

Butterflygal, Catlady and I got our Adenium seedlings at this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2352887754

He also sells seeds if you prefer seeds. There are still plenty available. Phil is a really good guy, and his seedlings are very healthy.

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks Clare!! I'm not good at seeds, but what the hay :)

Butterflygal, you can get 10 seedlings for $15 at that site if you wish. That's pretty good as prices go, but seeds are probably cheaper. The seedlings are pretty large and healthy so you can't go wrong with them. Just make sure that they have a very well-draining soil mix. Here's the mix that Phil recommended to me:

Make sure you use a porous mix - here is mine -

3 parts Metromix 560 with coir
1 part fine pumice or Aliflor
1 part extra fine pumice
1 part Turface

If you can't get these items locally, substitute but make sure when you squeeze the damp mix in your hand it crumbles when you let go (does not stick together). Otherwise the rule of thumb is to tailor your mix to your watering habits. Adeniums grow well in just pumice alone 1/8 - 1/4 inch size but would require more regular fertilizing.
--
Phil Davis
Cornell University
Plant breeding
104 Guterman labs
Caldwell Rd.
Ithaca, NY 14853
http://www.snowbeltadeniums.com/index.aspx

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

I have my two in a peat/sand mix, (looks like mostly sand) with pea gravel on top to make it look pretty :) although they haven't bloomed (not even put on buds, sniff, sniff) they are firm so must be healthy, right?

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

That's a lizard BG. The skinks look more like snakes with legs, and are shiney. I actually have a family of skinks that live in my office with me (it's in the garage). The newest babies just started showing up. Dads about 8" long.

Butterflygal, yes, if they are firm then they are healthy. My big boy Desert Rose is about to bloom. I will post pictures when it does. Don't worry, they may still bloom for you yet this summer.

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

Maybe they will like it better when they get more heat ... won't be long all the high 90's - 100's with all that humidty ~ they should bloom :)

Definitely. They do like the heat. Also, don't forget to try Bloombooster fertilizer if you get a chance.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Don't forget. As the heat increases, the water need will increase. Mine are watered daily now. A full drench, and they are dry by sundown.

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

Check to both :) Thanks!!!

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

DH got me some BloomBooster today. I will use it tomorrow since I watered them yesterday. I water them every other day unless it rains. I make sure that the soil is good and dry before I give 'em a drink :)
Please do post your pic's everyone :)

Here is one of mine, which is about to bloom.

It is Desert Rose:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Gosh, that looks great Clare. Hope to see pictures when it opens the buds.

Thanks, Shirley. I'll definitely post again when it blooms. Do you have any Adeniums?

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

Clare,
It is HUGE :) I love how the root hugs up against the bulb. I'll get a pic of mine tomorrow. Just a few leaves. Red seems to have more energy than 3 Kings ... humm ... will my bloom booster cheer 'em up :)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Clare I bought four of them from the co-op and three are still living. They have nice leaves and I'm hoping that if we ever get warm enough and I can get them outside, they will bloom for me.

I'm sure they will bloom for you this summer, Shirley. You'll have to show us the pics when they do.

Butterfulygal, thanks! I got this one at Home Depot a couple of years ago for around $10. I think it was the first one I ever bought. I bet your Bloombooster will cheer yours up for sure:0) Can't wait to see your pics!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's a pic of mine. I have them in a trough out in my 'exotic front porch' garden. lol

Thumbnail by ecobioangie
Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

closer up you can see the little bitty garden furniture and birdhouse and fake flowers I stuck in there too...

Thumbnail by ecobioangie

Ecobioangie, what a lovely garden! All your plants look great! Which Plumeria do you have?

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

Angie I love your garden and the furniture is so cute :)

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

My Desert Rose

Thumbnail by Melba_Ga
Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Dang you florida people kill me. that looks awesome!

Isn't that furniture cute? It helps make my 'stumps' not look so bad. lol

I have no idea what plumie I have. It won't bloom. :(

GagalinFl, AWESOME! That is probably the most beautiful one that I have ever seen. Is that Allamanda behind it?

Angie, do you put it in full sun in the summertime? Try Bloombooster fertilizer and full sun. It looks like it gets a lot of shade where it is. It just might need some more sun?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Gorgeous. I've got to dig out the bloom booster.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.