The Adenium Agenda

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

how do you treat your Adenium for the winter, I purchased one about two months ago, had nice growth, and leaves but loses a leaf about every day, mine is Desert Rose

Thumbnail by kareoke
Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Peter, yours will develop more branches over time.

Kareoke, losing leaves is something that happens when there is a change of conditions like getting colder. You need to bring yours in for the winter and give it a bright window and very little water.

This picture isn't mine, but I saved it because it is so magnificent. I thought you might enjoy it:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

This one belongs to my friend Beverly in Georgia:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I have mine indoors, right by an East window

North Scituate, RI(Zone 6a)

Hello, Adenium People:

I have acquired about 6 Adenium obesum since last Spring and have move them to a cold greenhouse (I ran out of room in the tropical greenhouse because I also "acquired" over 140 orchids since last November).

I noticed the posts regarding growing the plants from seed: I always heard that seed-started plants will not produce a caudex. True or not?

The cold greenhouse will have a max night time temperature of about 40-45. Days could go as high as the low 90s (with luck).

I know I should hold off on watering until Spring, but can anyone give me any other pointers? All the plants are in very small pots and are slightly pot-bound. If I repot, I won't do it until the Spring.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

- Kathleen (Zone 6 - NW Rhode Island)

Kathleen, that is not true. Plants started from both seeds and cuttings develop a swollen caudex.

My mature adenium (not a seedling) stayed outside all last winter when the nighttime temperatures were in the 40's almost every night. Temperatures in the daytime were in the 60's and 70's. Because temperatures were not very high in the daytime, my adenium did not require much water. It did get some water on occasion and did fine outside.

Since your mature plants are in small pots and potbound, they are not susceptible to overwatering and root rot. Additionally, warm daytime temperatures will cause them to require more water. When daytime temperatures are in the 90's, you should water frequently if not every day.

These plants below were started from seed:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Hi Kathleen, I just found the post that you were referring to. Are your adeniums mature, well-developed plants, or are they seedlings. Are the temperatures not getting any lower than what you said above? Do you have a thermometer in your cold greenhouse to check the temperature at night? The temp of 40 or 45 is the lowest that you want to get for a mature adenium. My mature ones do fine outside in the winter, but they are large and well-established. If your plants are young, immature, or are seedlings, then they need much warmer tempertures to survive. When I answered your question initially, I thought your plants were mature. You may want to double check the temperatures that your cold greenhouse is experiencing. It may be too cold for your adeniums. I know you said that you don't have room in your warm greenhouse, but I would make room for them at this point if you feel you might be losing them to rot, or I would put a small heater inside. I hope that helps.

Dear Claire_CA: Thanks for your reply to my post! Most of the plants are "young mature" -- some are seedlings. Most have flowered at least once. I have a small "milkcan" heater in the greenhouse to keep it at 40-45. I haven't checked the night time temperature, but it's SUPPOSEDLY not lower than 40.

If you think that the humidity is too high, or the temperatures too low, I could move the plants inside the house, but they would't get much sunliight.

- Kathleen

Hi Kathleen, humidity and warmth is great, but wet and cold is a problem. I think maybe 40 is too low for your young plants, but you'll have to judge based on how they look. If they look unhappy, then they probably need the warmer temps. Here's a good link with lots of information about care: http://www.tropicanursery.com/adenium/cultivation.htm

A wealth of information! - thank you!! I guess I'll have to bring my babies into either the house or the warmer greenhouse. It's most likely that my problem IS "cold and wet". Thanks again!

- Kathleen (Zone 6, NW Rhode Island)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.