Dichondra, Kidneyweed 'Silver Falls' (Dichondra argentea)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Common name: Dichondra, Kidneyweed 'Silver Falls'
Family: Convolvulaceae
Genus: Dichondra
Species argentea

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/56847/

Thumbnail by htop
Orland, CA(Zone 10a)

where can I get a start of this gorgeous stuff?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

The photo doesn't do it justice because it is much more attractive in person. I do not have any growing in my yard but I intend to plant some next year. I just can't bring myself to swipe some from the San Antonio Botanical Garden. Of course, if there are broken off pieces I couldn't just let them lie there and die, could I! This is not a good time of the year to start it unless you have a greenhouse. It is available at nurseries specializing in natine Texas plants in my locale. A couple of people have told me they have found it at nurseries in other states. Otherwise, I'll remember you want some in the spring.

CHARITON, IA(Zone 5a)

I love the colors of this plant. Do I detect some purple tones also? I would love a start of this plant too. Can I assume from the gray-blue color that it is a drought tolerant plant also?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

The plant is more of a silver-grey. The color is more like in the image of the plant at a distance that I posted. In the shade, the camera picked up more blues. Here is another photo with the color adjusted. It is highly drought tolerant and hardy.

Seeds can be purchased from Egmont Seeds. They have an online catalogue. A package of 15 seeds is $4.00 which is quite high in price, but of course the plants spread easily.

https://drake.safeorder.net/egmontseeds/WFShop/shop/shop8.htm

If I can obtain cuttings in the spring, I will send you some.

Thumbnail by htop
Kingston, NH

I saw this beautiful silver plant last summer while visiting Newburyport, Ma. Some
of the shop owners had the most beautiful containers outside their shops
and many of the containers had this silver falls dichondra argentea spilling over the sides(mixed with all types of annuals, grasses etc. and I had never seen anything like this. I've seen the licorice
plants in containers do similar but the silver falls is hard to find up this way
I've had to order the small plants from glasshouse works and I even bought
some seeds on line but they are not ready yet to go into the containers. This
is well worth finding and growing, I wish I had taken photos of those Newburyport containers.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, this is indeed an outstanding plant. I have it in a conatiner and love to watch it blow in the wind. Thanks for your comments.

Austin, TX

I have adopted a garden along the Town Lake Trail in Austin Texas through the Town Lake Trail Foundation. This is a picture after it was about 1 month old. I planted in August. The Silver Pony Foot is planted around the edge of the circle and took hold pretty easily. It filled in the spaces between the boulders and does a great job holding the soil in place. It is so beautiful...I always have to stop and look back before I leave my garden. It just shimmers from a distance. The artemesia that I planted almost matches the color. I will find out tonight if it survives 29 degrees. To get it established in the ground quickly, look for hanging baskets and spread the runners out on the soil. It takes hold very fast. There are a number of specialty nurseries in Austin that have done some beautiful planters with this ground cover: Big Red Sun and The Great Outdoors. If you visit Austin, take a look at the planters in front of our new City Hall. This and other ground covers are in abundance and it is gorgeous.

Thumbnail by MARYARNETT
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

MARYARNETT, what a wonderful job you have done. They are just beautiful. The silver pony foot really adds to the combination of plants. They all sure look good for only being in the ground a month especially after being planted in the August heat in Austin. Thanks for the tip about buying hanging baskets of pony foot and spreading the runners along the ground. Congratulations on a job well done! :o) I'm stil working on putting my plants in my greenhouise. The weatherperson hear stated that our low will be 26 in San Antonio. I live by Sea World at the base of the Hill Country so it'll be about 23 if the prediction is accurate. I usually have everything done earlier than this. My greenhouse needed repaired and I could not locate the repair tape until yesterday. I worked all day patching it so now I am waaay behind. Next time I am in Austin, I'll have to check the City Hall and the trail. Thanks for posting the beautiful photo.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.