John Grishom * The Painted House"

Greenbrier, AR(Zone 7a)

Just finished this book, a little different than his other books, still a good read. I am familiar with some of the land scape, and with the type of people he wrote aboute. The characters I well remember.
Give the book a read.
Lindag

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Just finished this book, it was ok, but not the best I always expect from Grisham. Started today.."Third Victim" by Lisa Gardener..A great read if you are into mystery's and murder..
Larkie

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I really enjoyed it. I agree with Lindag its different from his other books but a good change of pace. It kind of remined me of "Grapes of Wrath" in some ways.

(Zone 9a)

I quit reading Grisham after the first 5 books. I liked him at first, but then starting feeling like 'you've read one, you've read them all'. Might have to check this one out if it's different from his usual stuff.

I've read all of Grisham's books and Painted
House is my favorite. Of course I've grown up
hearing about cotton picking and my dad grew up
in an unpainted house so maybe so maybe that explains
it.

Germantown, MD(Zone 7a)

I loved "A Painted House." I didn't want it to end. I enjoyed the characters very much. My neighbors lived in the towns mentioned in the book and it was interesting to hear her speak of it as well. I am glad I stumbled onto this forum.

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

Been listening to it on NPR Radio - sounds good!

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I listened to "The Painted House" on tape and I really liked it!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, wow - NPR did it? Was it with different actors, or just one reader? I just read it a month or so ago and remembered this thread. I really liked it. The other book by Grisham I enjoyed was "The Rainmaker", though it's as different from this as night and day. I couldn't get into "The Pelican Brief" or some of the other legal thrillers he's done.

I was terrified for the boy when Hank and Cowboy were harassing him - poor kid. The characters really are memorable, you're right!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I think Grisham's best was his first, The Firm. After that I liked A Time To Kill and The Client. The last two, Painted House and Skipping Christmas were very unlike his usual Grisham style. The newest, The Summons, I haven't read yet, but DH has and said it's okay, but doesn't make his list of best.

Newport, OR(Zone 5a)

What am I missing? I thought"A Painted House", was a set up for his next book. Too many unanswered subplots. I'll bet he has a sequel to it soon. As far as it went I enjoyed the book, but the ending was a total let down.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Which subplots? The sharecropper daughter's baby? Cowboy and the girl? How the boy and his folks fare in Michigan? There were a lot of them, that's for sure. I loved that story!

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

This was a big surprise, coming from Grisham, but BOY did I love it! I, too, did not want it to end. I don't know about a sequel, though. I thought it ended well, but I just wished it could have gone on. The family moves north to the city for work, away from the "heart" of the story, and probably end up like a million, jillion other former farm families in the 40s-50s in the city. But then, I know if he did write a sequel, I'd be in line to buy the thing! LOL!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Yeah, me, too. I really wanted it to go on. Another story which had me totally immersed in it was Ann Rivers Siddon's novel Colony. Boy, she writes such memorable and strong characters! Oh, and Stephen King's It, also because of great characterization. But those are for other threads! :)

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Garenwife, I just finished a real different novel called "Fall on Your Knees" by Ann-Marie MacDonald. It was one of those "dark, gothic, dysfunctional families" sort of books, but I just could not put it down after the first couple chapters. It was one of the Oprah Books, one of the last ones, I believe. Got it at Costco. :) It even prompted me to check out a DVD documentary about silent screen star Louise Brooks. One of the sisters in the novel loved Louise Brooks movies, but I didn't know who the heck she was. Now that I have seen the documentary, it all makes perfect sense.... ;) Sort of a shocker ending too which I always enjoy.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oprah books are so depressing. But I love them! I'll have to check it out - thanks!

Oh, funny you mention Louise Brooks. I had never heard of her, but yesterday I did a Google image search for reading and books, and one of the hits was a picture of Louise Brooks sitting in a director's chair, reading. HOw odd is that? Here's where I found it:

The Louise Brooks society: http://www.pandorasbox.com/louisebrooks/bookshelf.html

This message was edited Saturday, Jun 8th 12:24 PM

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much for that link! I spent a lot of time there this morning already and I have to go to town soon, so I better quit!! I had not heard of this actress until I read that book, now I know all kinds of interesting bits about her! LOL! What a coincidence you found that page!!! Yes, Oprah's books are always about the MOST dysfunctional family in town! Always dark. But like you, I love them. Have you read "The Pilot's Wife," "While I was Gone," or "Back Roads" or "Poisonwood Bible"? I could go on. Kind of sad her book club has stopped. But someone will pick up where she left off. Someone with a lot of money to hire someone to read books for them! HA! ;)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I usually hear about a book from others, and then find out it was one of Oprah's picks. I've read Wally Lamb's I Know This Much Is True and She's Come Undone, Andre Dubus III's House of Sand and Fog. They're pretty much all going to be dysfunctional families or people who have suffered abuse of some sort, but they're also going to be really well-written.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

My two favorites from Oprah's book club were "Deep End of the Ocean", and "Tara Road" Tara Road got me onto Maeve Beachy, (not sure if I spelled that right though). I've read several other of her books since and I like them.

Penny4, when you figure out who is going to pick up the book club and have lots of money to hire someone to read books for them, let me know. That sounds like just the job I need!

Washington, DC

One of my most popular hobbies is reading, I can spend the whole day reading my favorite work. At the moment, I'm fascinated by the writer Kate Chopin and her Story of the Hour, which was first published in Vogue back in 1894. If you are interested, then go read the article https://newswatchtv.com/2020/07/28/literary-criticism-story-hour/ this is the best literary criticism. Despite the fact that the plot itself deserves special attention and the writing style, which includes personifications, irony and a lot of literary techniques, we will focus mainly on the leitmotif of the story.

This message was edited May 6, 2021 7:26 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.