Firecracker Shrub, Mexican Firebush, Scarlet Bush, Hummingbird Bush (Hamelia pat

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Common name: Firecracker Shrub, Mexican Firebush, Scarlet Bush, Hummingbird Bush
Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Hamelia
Species patens

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/1844/

Thumbnail by htop
Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow! That sure has changed since your last picture of it! Beautiful! It must be such a feast for the eyes, being so large of a bush. Thanks.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

This one is a different plant than mine. Mine is just starting to turn colors. It puts on a magnificent fall show. I'll post a photo of mine when the leaves have all turned. They all become red right after very cold weather. The colder the weather, the darker the red. This plant puts on a show from late spring/early summer right up intil it freezes back. I wish it were an evergreen because there is a huge barren spot where it grows when it goes dormant.

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh! I just assumed it was your bush. Well, looking forward to seeing the pic of your plant when it's ready. I can imagine such an empty spot for that bush during the winter! Thanks.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Hey hope you don't mind my 2 cents, I have have a large one i divided spring,,,was worried cause i had to use a saw to cut it in half but, both plants are doing fine. The root was one big ball of thick wood. Have had mine for five years. The frist winter i thought i lost it but it always comes back in the spring. It has done well here in Lafayette, La. Winters to 26 degrees.
Tom Henry

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I have never tried to divide mine. That sounds like quite a job. I am happy that both of the divisions of the plant lived. This is useful information in case someone needs to know if it can be divided. Thanks for your comments.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.