Meyer's Lemon Tree 'Meyer' (Citrus x meyeri)

Northern California, CA

Common name: Meyer's Lemon Tree 'Meyer'
Family: Rutaceae
Genus: Citrus
Species x meyeri

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/49905/

Thumbnail by Happenstance
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

That is a bumper crop! My tree is very small and in a container. It has such large lemons, I have to support the branches to keep them from breaking. Until my neighbor gave me this tree, I had no idea the length of time it takes a lemon to mature and ripen. My blooms occurred in February and the lemons just ripened last week. My container grown key lime has blooms quite frequently so I have limes at different stages of development. Thanks for the photo of your tree.

New Port Richey, FL

MY meyer lemon tree we just put in the ground and it was in a 3 gal pot can you tell me what i would need to do next ? i will need help with what to feed and when to feed and how much to water . i'm in florida and its been in the ground about a munth we water two times a day and we just picked all the lemons off we were told thats what need to be so the tree will be stronger for the first year ,, my tree is looks more like a bush right now ... thanks

This message was edited Friday, Apr 30th 10:09 PM

Northern California, CA

Some of them do end up looking more like a bush than a tree and that can be a big problem. These things are very prolific and under most circumstances will need supports to keep the fruit off the ground. The crop comes in Nov-Jan here in 9b and that's our rainy season. Sitting on wet ground can ruin the whole crop.

Depending on the structure of your plant, I would prune it severely, choosing the strongest limb to make into the eventual trunk. These are not huge trees, but can become unwieldy if left on their own to branch freely.

Mine has been in ground for about 5 years, had been pruned with a nice 20" or so trunk when I purchased it. If you look at the image above, you can see that it is lashed down to keep it from toppling over with the weight of the fruit.

I pruned it severely after removing the fruit sometime late winter. This was the fruit that we couldn't use before it started to turn. I made 12 QUARTS of pure lemon juice which freezes beautifully and tastes just as good as fresh

The tree is about 8' tall now and I take several interior branches out each year to keep the air moving freely through the other branches. I feed it twice a year with a commercial citrus granular fertilizer, once in Feb and once in September.

In some cases they just have to remain a "bush" if you are unable to prune it into the form you want. Mine is on drip irrigation, gets watered twice a day for 30 minutes along with everything else from March - October.

If nothing else, the fragrance of the blossoms is good enough reason to grow the Meyer Lemon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.