It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Passion Flower 'Incense' (Passiflora hybrid)

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Passion Flower 'Incense'
Passiflora hybrid

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Clare,

I can see what you mean about this plant being especially suitable for caterpillars.

Thanks,

Chuck

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Chuck, I actually destroyed this vine because it was showing the Cucumber Mosaic Virus, and I didn't want my other passifloras to get it. All P. "Incense" vines have the virus, because the parent plant has it. The new P. "Incense" is virus-free and is called "New Incense." If you find a P. "Incense" vine to buy, make sure it is the "New Incense" one.

Here is the leaf of my old P. "Incense" which had the virus:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Tuskegee, AL(Zone 8a)

great. just great.

I suspected the yellow spots on my Incense were mosaic virus, but this year is the first time my three-year-old vines showed this symptom.

@Clare_A: Thanks for the information. I read it and went directly outside to cut up, bag and trash my three Incense Passifloras together with their chopped up trellises and the soil from their pots. I wore disposable vinyl gloves that went with them and soaked my pruners in Consan. I sprayed my hands and arms with Consan, too. The pots are in the bathtub waiting to be soaked in a bleach solution.

I was going to sell one that was over 8'. A root section I potted last summer had three shoots coming up. The parent plant had several shoots that were pretty tall, too.

Oh well.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2012 1:41 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images