Madagascar Jasmine (Stephanotis floribunda)

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Madagascar Jasmine
Stephanotis floribunda

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
San Jose, CA

I have just bought a beautiful madagascar jasmine and i was told to leave it in the pot in came in so i have and i bought a much bigger one to put it in i thought i would transplant it next year. It has gorgeous buds on it and lots of them i thought a few would open by now they have not. Am i doing something wrong or should i just be patient. I live in san jose, ca and if it gets cold in the winter i'm planing to bring it in the house. It gets afternoon soon but its not to hot here yet. Its in the same area as my roses. should i replant it into the bigger pot now or just be patient. I can hardly wait for the buds to open there are so many. what do you all think i should do. I have been told i have a green thumb but i have never had this type of jasmine before. Please help
thankyou from retta

Hi Retta, the buds will open when they are ready; you cannot force them or do anything to rush them. I would repot into a larger container once your vine becomes rootbound. You should be able to tell when it becomes rootbound because the soil will dry out quickly and will not hold water.

Astoria, NY(Zone 7b)

(From NYC)
Uh-Oh. I just repotted my newly acquired stephanotis, which is full of buds and blooms. It's 12" tall. It was so root-bound there was 2" of root growing out of the bottom of the 4" plastic pot. So... I gave it a new home in a 6" clay pot. I hope it's a forgiving plant and doesn't drop its buds!

Thumbnail by floradora
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I've got this site bookmarked now...I just purchased a 8" vine. I think I've already blown it, I put it into an 8" pot. Please post any and all tips, hints etc. for this beauty!!

Floradora and Lilypon, your repotting sounds fine. I have mine in 10- or 12-inch pots. You both may have to repot to larger containers soon. These vines are easy to care for until winter. They don't like to be kept too wet in wintertime when they go somewhat dormant. I keep mine outside all winter, but you'll probably want to bring yours indoors. Mine are just starting to bloom also.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the info Clare...esp. the wet over winter part!! Trust me it will be coming in at the end of August...there isn't a chance in $&%% it would make it through my winter! ;)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

What month does yours go dormant in Clare and when does it wake up?

Hi Lilypon,
Well, it goes dormant only as much as it stops growing entirely from about November through February or March. I didn't pay real close attention to it this winter, and I overwatered it by accident. I was relieved when it started to grow in the spring. I was fortunate it didn't succumb to root rot.

Astoria, NY(Zone 7b)

Well, I think New York City's hot, humid summer will be perfect for rapid growth, strengthening it for the lean winter months ahead, because I have no intention of over-watering my plant and killing it!
Let it go dormant or whatever it plans on doing over the winter as long as it doesn't die on me. Geez, I paid $30.00 for my plant- not including the subway fare of $4.00!!
By the way, when I lived in Monterey I had one for 5 years in a 12" pot. It grew vigorously around a tomato support and looked real healthy-except for the fact it NEVER bloomed. I think the summers there were not warm, humid and sunny enough.

London, Canada

I just bought I jasmine and I was wondering about cuttings.. will it root in a glass of water? and what do the pods look like? (man I hope thats not as silly a question as I think it is..)
thanks for any info..

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

I have had mine in a pot for about 4 yrs..it has never bloomed [in my sunroom]..I have read several times that I could plant it outside so I have ...[ read it was a little frost tolerant too] It is spreading like crazy amongst my climbing rose and looks good, not sure ..just hoping it can take a little frost as too late now..it is already planted and entangled.. We will see what happens this winter..[ should mention I have 2 very large tropical gardenia vines growing in the same area..an arbor..along with a very aggresive passion flower...all of them have really done well, too well in fact...they are taking over the place....Oh just thinking there were loads of seed pods but not sure if my hubby left them on..can check....[seedpods from the tropical gardenia vines]

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

ps so sorry this is getting late for me I should have said Jasmine not gardenia [ did not look right just wasn't thinking] it is my bedtime....

Mummydear, Stephanotis floribunda has a common name of Madagascar jasmine, but it really is not a jasmine and is in a different family completely. You may want to start a new thread about rooting jasmines. If you can find out the scientific name of the jasmine, that will help a lot. I have several jasmines, some of them will root in water and some will not. I've never seen seedpods on any of my jasmines. Now, Pandorea jasminoides, Bower Vine, has lots of seedpods, but it is not a jasmine either.

Peterson, Stephanotis floribunda cannot withstand any frost without some overhead protection, but since you are in Zone 10, it should do fine.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images