Blue Anise Sage, Brazilian Sage 'Black and Blue' (Salvia guaranitica)

Blenheim, New Zealand

now that's a stunning Salvia

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Bootandall, thanks & glad you enjoyed it.

Stunning. Can I get some ??? Here's a wierd Samia flower.

Thumbnail by sotoscovitch
Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Sotoscovitch I'm sorry but it doesn't grow from seed, you need cuttings, and the cuttings I took this fall would not root for me. I wanted to dig up one of the plants & bring inside for the winter but was called away from home for 3 weeks & by the time I got back we had snow & everything was frozen. So I will be buying them again come spring.

That is an usual flower you posted. I have never seen one of those before.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I read someplace that if those of us in zones that are too cold for this one would dig them up and pot in a large pot, they will make lots of babies from the roots. Has anyone tried this before? This is such a pretty flower and this picture is gorgeous.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Brugie, I got an email from 'hummer_nut' telling me how to do that & like I said above, that is what I had intended to do. Had to go out of town unexpectedly & it just didn't happen. I was really disappointed. Will be ordering more plants in the spring & come fall will be potting up a few plants just to see how it works for me. Glad you enjoyed the photo.

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, that's such a beautiful Salvia. I'll bet all the hummers in the neighborhood gather around that plant. lol

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

BastetMau, thanks for your kind comments. I was amazed at the hummers. They always monopolized my Lady in Red salvia, until this one came along. This summer they spent most of their time at the Black & Blue & I didn't mind a bit.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I've been looking for sources for this plant, and I saw Plant Delights (http://www.plantdelights.com/) selling it as "Domestic Violence Anise Sage". ooookaaay...

Outer Hobart, Australia(Zone 6a)

Oh, that's a beauty. So uncommon to see a blue/black flower. The only other time, i have seen this plant, was on an e-bay auction. One plant was available, and it sold for a hefty price, over $60AU. Is this plant a species? does it not set seed? I'm sure many of us would love to get it growing. Nice photo.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

bloomoon I don't know why I didn't see this post before, I apologize. Apparently they do set seed but you have to be very fast to get them before they fall. At least that is what I have read. On the GW forum there are people that have germinated the seed they have saved from 'guaranitica'. I have ordered it again for '07, ordered it last year but didn't receive it & I sure missed it.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/salvia/msg0206435829644.html?24

Knoxville, TN

this plant does not resemble the other photos of the brazilian salvia; what is the distinction? it shore is pretty!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.