Crown of Thorns, Christ Plant, Siamese Lucky Plant (Euphorbia milii)

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Palmbob, why are these plants in such large planters? They don't need all that room for their roots, do they?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

In Thailand, plastic is expensive and concrete is dirt cheap. So they crank out millions of concrete circles and place them on concrete plates as pots. This has several functions: one it's cheap and you can make the pot as deep as you want (by stacking the circles), and two: you can move the plants easily without disturbing the roots by just lifting it off it's concrete plate and planting it you wanted to. Pretty nice set up. Requires a fork lift of course.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Thanks, Palmbob! That's very interesting.

Malabon, Philippines

Hi Palmbob!
I just saw your photo of Euphorbia. Where is your garden? Are these plants were from bangkok?

I just happen to have some few of them in pale red varieties. Could these plants be cultivated like bonsais & bloom flowers?
Hope to hear from you & you have really large mother plants.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Not my plants... just ones I saw in garden in Pattaya, south of Bangkok. Euphorbia milii cultivation is huge in Thailand (great climate for it I guess) and they have thousands of cultivars there. I don't have a garden of my own (yet).

Malabon, Philippines

thanks for your prompt reply.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

About the name:
These plants are crosses between Euphorbia lophogona and Euphorbia millii and are called Euphorbia x lomi.
You can buy them occasional around here in the North East. They are being sold at the Philadelphia Flower show in the Spring and occasionally other vendors around here have them. I bought some from glasshouseworks.com a few years ago. As long as one can provide growing conditions similar to those in Thailand, the plants do well here.
I grow mine in Summer in full sun outside and water and fertilize heavily. Right now they take up the sunniest, warmest spots in the greenhouse and they are flowering well.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

I just found this thread LOL!!
I had a real nice little collection started back in 05.
All cuttigns from a friend in So Cal
A freind told me they were winter hardy and quite sadly, I lost them all.
I am on ther hunt / trade for more and seeds too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images