Vitex, Chaste Tree, Lilac Chaste Tree, Monk's Pepper (Vitex agnus-castus)

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm wondering ... is this a fast-growing tree/shrub? Slow-growing? Somewhere in between? Beatiful - great photo, Jeff!

:o) Judith

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Some more info on this: http://www.floridata.com/ref/V/vitex_a.cfm

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Dinu!

A bee tree ... we just removed one of those. Too bad!

:o) Judith

Belton, SC

This is great information. I bought two of these at Park Seed in Greenwood, SC last year. I had some health problems shortly afterward and left them unattended in a small pot throughout the winter and until this spring. I was sure they were dead, when I discovered life on the stems. I planted the two and they are now about 3'high. I did not know anything about them except they were pretty and looked like butterfly bush flowers to me. I am happy they survived the cold winter, unattended during the late hot summer we had and are now growing beautifully for me. Does anyone know what fertilizer should be used on these.

Thanks,
mkmimi

Albuquerque, NM

I planted one of these in my back yard in Albuquerque a few years ago. It's not growing particularly quickly, and it's not as lush as some of these in the photos, but it hardly seems to need to be watered at all. It loves the heat and direct sun - in the spring it flowers and leafs considerably later than the other plants, but once things get warm enough for it, it puts out a lot of flowers over a long period. I don't think I've ever fertilized it. It's a very tough, pretty little tree and it smells great!

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I have a five foot tall one and will keep it pruned to stay shrub height. I read where you can prune the dead flowers and it will rebloom in the later part of summer. I did this and had a nice second show of flowers. The bumble bees slept on it at night and stayed busy during the daylight hours. Good thing the bumblers are pretty docile as it was covered with them and I brushed into it quite often while gardening nearby.
When I moved and updated my information I see it went back to older posts.
The Vitex tree I spoke about was in zone 7a. I am now in zone 6 and do not see any of these fine specimens. Probably too cold here.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2010 8:30 AM

albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I live in zone 7 in Albuquerque, NM & have had a beautiful Vitex/Chaste tree for several years. As a container shrub I bought I pruned it into a 10 ft. tree form as so many here in the City seem to be. For some reason this tree died back at least 1/2 this year & I had to cut back all of the old branches & let the tree sprout new growth from below the dead cuts. What a disappointment! Hope with vigorous pruning now I can again achieve the tree form with it's beautiful blue 'candle' flowers. I guess our winter temps got down to mid 20's this last year & that is what killed off 1/2 the tree?! It has survived colder winters but it is out in the open & not sheltered so should I just keep it lower as a shrub rather than a tree form?

No where do I find mention of the sticky stuff that clings to one's hands when pruning the branches/leaves... is this common or is this some disease my tree has?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images