Meyer's Lemon Tree 'Meyer' (Citrus x meyeri)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Meyer's Lemon Tree 'Meyer'
Citrus x meyeri

The white flower buds with their subtle tones of lavender and pink add interest all year long because they contrast so well with the deep green of the leaves. Shown here in February. (San Antonio, Tx.)

Thumbnail by htop
Bloomington, IL

we have had our meyer for about four months now and at first we were worried because it started to drop its leaves and turn yellow. after a period of a few weaks that tapper's off and now we have discovered to our delight that it is blooming just as this photo is. I do have a question though, how long is it before the blooms open. By the way this site is great just found it and im sure that if we have any questions this will be the place to find out some good tips!! GREAT PICTURE!!!!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I am sorry, but I can't remember how long it takes for the blooms to open. Once the fruit is formed it takes months for it to ripen. When some of the fruit starts falling off, don't worry. It is normal for the tree to drop fruit and retain only as many as it can successfully bring to maturity. Welcome to the Plants Database. Thanks for your comments.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Yeah, that's what makes a Meyers so sweet. When they're ripe they're nearer orange than yellow. And they always drop their leaves [in my experience] and they like it hot.

Bloomington, IL

Thank you for your information. To our surprise there were two blooms that popped open just today. They smell so sweet. I know that it has been said that they smell that way but i didn't realize how good they do smell. We hope this will continue. Thank again!!!!!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

BloomsWithaView, mine does drop a few leaves usually at the beginning of spring or if I move it to a different location. The fruit has a lot of juice and the peel and rind is very thin. I can make 2 large glasses of lemonade from one fruit. Thanks for your comments.

chriselou, you're welcome. It will bloom periodically all year which means you will have fruit at various stages of maturity all year long.

Antioch, TN

I bought a Meyer Lemon Tree about three weeks ago and planted it in a large pot. I am afraid to set it outside because someone may take it. I live in an apt. with a sun room on it. The tree sets in the sunroom and gets lots of light all day and direct sun in the afternoon. Do you think I need to put additional lighting on it? If so what kind do you suggest? The tree has just begun to put on new growth shoots. How long will it take it to bloom? It has two lemons on it now that are much larger than a golf ball. I do not know what to expect from it. Will it put on new green growth and then bloom or will it bloom at the same time?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I think it will probably do okay in your sunroom. Mine blooms at different times during the year. I can't predict when yours will bloom again. It will take it a while to adjust to its new environment. I hope it does well for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.