Catchweed Bedstraw, Sticky Willy, Goose Grass, Cleavers (Galium aparine)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Catchweed Bedstraw, Sticky Willy, Goose Grass, Cleavers
Galium aparine

Cleavers is actually a very pretty plant especially when it has something to help prop it up such as the chainlink fence in this photo. Its foliage is such a refreshing green and its leaf arrangement is nice. See my comments about its uses as an herbal remedy and be amazed.

Thumbnail by htop
Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

My name for this is Velcro plant...it sticks to anything! It is quite attractive, though. Thanks for posting it.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Your welcome. Two or three plants came up in my Mother's yard a few years back and we hought it was very attractive. We anxiously awaited for it to bloom. Then, it started sprouting everywhere. After a while, lots of people in various sections of town were asking me what it was. Maybe seeds blew in during a dust storm because it appeared in lots of areas where nobody had ever seen it before at the same time. After reading about its suposed medicinal value, I told my husband I may not even pull it up, I may just graze on it! I finally researched it the other day.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

It is very common here, and many folks hate it because the seeds stick on your clothes in the fall. But it is shallow-rooted and easy to pull out, so I don't mind it at all here in the yard. I will look into it's medicinal uses.

We have a lot of henbit and deadnettle that are also easy to pull out, and can be attractive in flower, but I pull and spray them to cut down on the amount of seed being dispersed. However, the seed seems to come in the wind...They are sprouting by the thousands right now in the gravel driveway and vegetable garden.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I think I must have pulled it up last year before it bloomed and of course could not seed. It should be up, but I haven't seen it. I took the photo at my brother's apartment building. I posted some of its medicinal uses on the comments for the plant. I have henbit and deadnettle too. Sometimes I let the henbit bloom and then try to exterminate it before it seeds. The deadnettle bites the dust as soon as I see it. With the field by my yard, the seeds wander over quite a bit. By the way, you should have an email from me. Thanks for your comments.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi,

Where are the medicinal benefits posted. I'm a little new here.. Thanks Nancy Lee

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Nancy, go to right above my photo and right under "Content", click on the name of the plant and it will take you to the plant description. Go down to the comments section. You can also do a Google search which will bring up lots of webpages that discuss its medicinal value. These plants are just coming up in my yard now.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks I will....

(Zone 8a)

What a lovely photo! How nice to see some of our "weeds" being appreciated :)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

We have that here to. I don't like it at all. It's sticky and it will try to choke out my other babies.
:( Donna

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

kniphofia, thanks for your comments. I have found while researching "weeds" that most of the ones I looked up have been used for medicinal purposes. Perhaps that is why they are so prolific ... so that mankind easily is able to find a plant that can cure or ease the symptoms of ailments.

Donna, it sure can cover any plants growing near it and it sure does grow fast. Thanks for your comment.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've already got small mounds of the stuff, and the little branches are just starting to vine here in west KY. I've pulled out a bunch from my beds, but there's always a few plants that survive.

I've been working with weeds and wildflowers in the PF, and sometimes, I find the term interchangeable. Weeds are certianly cheerful plants, always healthy and bursting with reproductive fervor. So many of them were used by Native Americans for food or medication. They have a purpose in the grand plan of things for sure....I respect that, but dearly wish that they would prefer the fencerows to my veggie garden,

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Luckily, I only have a few appear each year. I pull them before they can spread too far and before they can bloom.

Austin, TX

Thanks for posting the name of this weed. I have been wondering what it is. You can see by the attached photo that it takes over the yard here in Austin, TX. I spend time in the early spring pulling these out so the grass will grow.

Thumbnail by MelodyInAustin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Your welcome. It is really coming up everywhere this year. Maybe it likes this coldest winter we have had for years! :0) It is growing in all of my flowerbeds and I have not been able to pull it out yet. I have to get out there and pull those guys up as soon as I can! I am sorry your sago palm has been browned this winter. I think it will be okay. It will put out a surge of new leaves when it warms up. I have never seen so many of them hurt by the cold here in San Antonio before.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.