Have an idea, now need suggestions

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

I have an old wooden fence that seperate the sheeps field from our yard. I want to grow a vine of some kind on it that would cover it fast but it would have to be one they don't like to eat. Does anyone have any ideas? I know they don't eat all flowering plants I just don't know which ones.
Thanks,Venessa

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

There is the Russian vine (silver lace vine) which is terribly aggressive and can cover the side of a two storey house in one season but is very pretty. I would imagine that this would be extremely useful in your situation as long as the sheep leave it alone :-)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks a bunch ladies, now I have to go find one of these. I wonder if it is to late to start one. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. :)

Venessa

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

If you find a vine sheep won't eat. Please let me know.. I have 2 pet goats and have not found anything they won't eat off of the chain link fence of their pen..I have tried vines, shrubs, trees and everything weedy that will cling to a fence.. Oh by the way, they love the passiflora's..Your sheep probably will also..
Larkie

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

Larkie,
there is a tremendous difference between what sheep eat and what goats eat...
In Crete it is well known that goats are a real disaster for plants - they even tear down the bark of oak, olive tree and carob tree.

Louisa, what is the russian vine?? any seeds??

As for a vine the sheep won't eat, I'll ask some sheep - owners (LOL) and come back to you. Venessa, if you don't see a follow-up within 2 days, please e-mail me. Threads are not always easy to locate and we are pretty crowded in DG now...
Dimitri

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Well Larkie aren't you the party pooper. We do have some kind of vine growing out in the field that they won't touch but someone said it maybe poison oak or something. I also found a lantana plant out there that they haven't eaten and it is huge, I'm thinking about digging it up and putting it in the front yard. But I am determined to find something pretty to grow on that fence.lol

Venessa

Don't have goats but Uncle does and when they get out of pen..they heard straight for his roses and eats them down to nothing almost. He gets so mad. He raises those mohair goats.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi CoCo I do know mine love roses also. I love my girls but last year I could have very easily had a big bar b q when they ate every rose bush I had planted.lol

Venessa

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

The 'Russian' vine, or silver lace vine, is Polygonum aubertii. I don't know how well it roots from cuttings, but I could send you a LOT of them. I have it in full sun and in nearly full shade, and it grows well either place, tho slower in the shade. I might be able to find some runners that haven't grabbed the fence yet, if you can tempt me with a goodie!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Judith see the thread titled dpmichael - he is looking for a source of seeds of this vine. Thanks.

I can't thank you enough Louisa for looking after me. What a place! As if I know you all from my childhood years !!

Judith, if there are seeds available, please let me have some - I will tempt you with the seeds I am going to collect right now (here it is nearly 4 o'clock in the afternoon) Nigella doerflieri (like damascena but smaller, pale whitish flowers, endemic to Crete) >> YES? NO?
even a DEFINITE MAYBE would do!!
Dimitri

This message was edited Thursday, Jun 7th 9:26 AM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Don't mention it Dimitri - that's what we are here for! To share and spread a little kindness :-)

Venessa, Louisa, and the others in this thread:

I asked a sheep owner (sic) and he said - without a moment's hesitation - "ampelopsis is what you need" -
and I need to add, I have several young ampelopsis plants on the fences around my land, and young shoots have been nibbled - was it sheep or goats I don't know. BUT, Venessa, here is what to do: tie a branch of ampelopsis on the fence, see how the sheep deal with it - trial and error will eventually lead you to the truth.

I 'll ask some more people I see on Sunday - so you don't need to feed all sorts of vines to your animals.

Best wishes

Dimitri

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks Dimitri, you must have read my mind because I was thinking about getting some different vines I see growing around here and seeing what they would not eat. I only have 3 but they sure can do some damage.

Venessa

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

Sorry, folks, I've never seen any seed on the Silver Lace Vine. Surely it makes them---that's what flowers are FOR---but I have no idea how to or when to harvest them. I'll keep an eye on the vines and report later if I can see anything developing.

Ridgeland, SC(Zone 8a)

Judith,I also have my out for seeds for dpmichael. My vine is in bloom now, so I'm trying to watch it closely. I know cuttings can be taken from spring through summer, the vine grows so fast, that it seems too soft to try to root. I'll wait a while. If I don't see seeds, I'll try to figure out where to take the cuttings from. Any advice?
Mom

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

How about layering?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images