Blueberries - The Miracle Berry

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Blueberries - The Miracle Berry

Stop aging, live longer and keep your mind sharp with blueberries. If you ad one food to your diet this season, make it blueberries. Calorie for calorie, luscious blueberries recently emerged as the single most ferocious food in the supermarket at halting the forces that age you. Even the scientists who study blueberries are excited!

Radical Resistance
Every second of your life, your cells are bombarded by dangerous particles called free radicals. In a split second, they can alter your DNA in ways that cause cancer. Or they can change low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) so it sticks to artery walls. Or damage collagen and make skin wrinkle prone. Over time, changes such as these accelerate your aging.

To fight this process, you want to load your diet with antioxidants, which naturally zap free radicals in your body. Get the process going by loading up on (you probably guessed it) fruits and vegetables. Enter the blueberry: This amazing little fruit has emerged as nature's number one source of antioxidants among fresh fruits and vegetables.

In tests at the USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University in Boston, blueberries beat out 39 other common fruits and vegetables - even such heavyweights as kale, strawberries, spinach and broccoli in antioxidant power.

Much of the power comes from the pigment that gives blueberries their rich, deep blue color: Anthocyanins.

To get the level of antioxidants found in just one-half cup of blueberries, you need to eat more - sometimes much more - of other fruits and vegetables:

One-half cup blueberries equals:
3 /4 cup strawberries
1-1/4 cup orange sections
2-1/4 cup broccoli florets
2-1/2 cup chopped spinach
2-2/3 cup corn

The head of the USDA Phytochemical Laboratory at Tufts and the scientist who discovered the secret power of blueberries, Ronald Prior, PhD, recommends adding one-half cup of blueberries to your diet every day!

This is a far cry from the current average intake in America of 2-1/2 cup a year! With a one-half cup serving of blueberries a day, you can just about double the amount of antioxidants most Americans get in one day.

If you want to slow down the free radical aging process, blueberries are the prime choice.

Another Bonus: Urinary Tract Relief
Just like their cousin the cranberry, blueberries contain compounds that can prevent urinary tract infections (UTI's), according to recent findings at the Rutgers Blueberry Cranberry Research Center in Chatsworth, NJ. Called condensed tannins, the compounds can keep the bacteria responsible for UTI's from attaching to the wall of your bladder.

Fresh blueberries are available year-round but are least expensive from May through September, when the supply comes from the US and Canada. Look for berries that are dark blue, with a frosty bloom. Store fresh blueberries in your refrigerator for up to two week and wash them just before you use them; otherwise they will get mushy.

Loose-pack frozen blueberries are available year-round, and you can use them in any recipe that calls for fresh blueberries. Since they are pre-washed, they can be used right from the package.

Wild blueberries, grown in Maine and Eastern Canada, are beginning to be available nationwide in frozen loose-packs. Wild blueberries are smaller (about 1,600 to the pound versus 500 for the larger, cultivated blueberry) and their flavor is more intense. They also hold up better in baking.

Baking tip: When baking with frozen blueberries, for best results lightly dust unthawed blueberries with flour before stirring into batter.

Great article Darius...I've read a lot about blueberries and keep them in my diet. When I was growing up, my cousin would always go to Michigan to get blueberries. They are so good from up there. When I moved down here I was so afraid that would be the end of good fresh blueberries but boy was I wrong. A friend a couple miles away has blueberries and gave me a bunch last year and they were so plump and sweet. I might have to look into a couple bushes for the garden.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

I bet those who are lucky enough to live in Washington get similar benefits from huckleberries.

And given that I'm supposed to cut down on crucifers now, I'm pretty happy for blueberries. Good and good for you, too. (I actually would eat them all the time regardless, but it's good to know that some tasty things are healthy.)

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I love blueberries. Thus, they can't possibly be good for me. ;-)

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow! This is great! I just bought a bag of frozen blueberries today! Can't wait for breakfast!

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Since these have a relativly low GI I think they will have to be a part of my daily intake. Thank you darius, I wasn't aware these were such potent little things, knew they were tasty.

Well, I don't much like blueberries myself but will sure add them to my diet!

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Well as far as fruit goes, I normally prefer veggies. But with attributes like they have I'll adjust. They and strawberries are two fruits I do like.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Good thread here....

Blueberries are in prime season here...Might go pick some today at "Blueberry Hill", a farm up the road. Their bushes are loaded! And they're only $1 a pound! Time to fill the freezer, eh?

Wait for me!!!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Blueberry pancakes...blueberry jam....blueberry muffins...blueberries on ice cream...blueberries outta my hand...

well...never mind ♫ ... you get the picture~!

I don't even particularly like blueberries, but I've eaten a lot more of them since I saw this information.

(Have to say maybe I don't like them as much because I got sick from eating too many while picking blueberries one year!)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Heheh...that's what I call the "malted milkball syndrome"!

When I was a kid I ate and ate and ate malted milkballs to the point of ...well, till they again wanted to seek daylight! I couldn't even look at a malted milk ball for years afterwards, much less eat one!

(Now I luv em again! But within reason!)

I'm right there w/ya on the blueberry overdose, darius!

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey Shoe.....did you 'Find your Thrill, on Blueberry Hill'? LOL!! The Garden Center where I work also has farmland and greenhouses. We have pick-your-own red raspberries coming up in August!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hehehe....No Comment! :>)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Hello all, I thought I would add my 2 cents and throw in 'Saskatoon Berries' They are said to be right up there with the blueberry nutritionally speaking. They are very popular on the Canadian Praries, and were a staple for the First Nations people for centuries. They taste great alone,or in a pie, jam,jelly,syrup,fruit smoothie...

Wonderful! Too bad they are not available here.

Want to go to your Preferences page and add your location and zone? Might help us.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Another good way to eat them is in a fruit salad mixture with other fresh fruits. Good for breakfast or as dessert!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

We eat fresh blueberries every day on our oatmeal - delish!

Dublin, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, darius.

I was fortunate enough to be able to pick wild blueberries last year in Maine. Wait till you try the wild ones. Nothing but sweetness. I haven't been able to find fresh wild blueberries in Ohio. I did find the frozen one at local Kroger. I pop those sweet iced berries in my mouth all day long. I have blue-thumb now :-p

drop, somewhere, maybe the FoodTV special on the Maine wild blueberry festival, I saw where you could buy fresh wild blueberries on the internet. Have you done a Google search?

I've been buying local blueberries which I'm sure are NOT wild, and freezing them on a cookie sheet so they are loose in a bag in the freezer. They are less than half the grocery store price right now and probably a LOT less in winter.... when I shall have LOTS of blueberries!

Would LOVE to try the wild ones!

Dublin, OH(Zone 5a)

Yes. I could buy the canned one or WB jam or preserved. Both are good.

My friend and I crouched around blueberry bushes and just stuffed our face. Ah, nothing like good friend and freshly picked berries.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

For those of you who do not actually like blueberries - they are great in smoothies. I have them most mornings in smoothies with other fruits and some fruit concetrates, such as resvinatrol and "Miracle Fuits of the World". I add yoghurt and soy milk along with whatever fresh fruit I have on hand...apple, orange, banana. If I am short a fruit, I have some frozen peaches to add. In summer when bananas ripen too quickly, I freeze all but 2 or 3 depending on how green they are. Once they start to ripen, that is when I slice, then freeze them. Sometime I will get frozen strawberries, but I find that they are tastier fresh.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images