Is cypress vine a slow grower??

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I started cypress vine seeds indoors and planted them about 3 weeks ago but they are growing very slow. They were about 8-10" when planted and I don't think they have grown much since then. I also direct seeded and they are just now popping up. I planted them to attract hummers but at this rate the hummers will be gone by the time they're big enough to bloom. Any advice? Thanks

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Zinnia
I did the same thing and talked to a friend and she said they are slow to start, but when it warms up they grow faster.
Mine were started in the greenhouse a couple of months ago and are about a foot high. They have been in the garden a couple of weeks and I don't think they have grown more than a few inches.

Fulton, MS(Zone 7a)

Zinnia
They are slow to start,but boy when they do they grow like crazy. LOL planted mine the day i join DG. Now them seem to grow like crazy can't judge how much they are twisting onto fence. But they will start.
laylarose

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Removed by member request

Ridgeland, SC(Zone 8a)

Zinnia, I have had a little better luck with cypress vine if I soak them at least overnight. They are still a little slow, but it seemed that they broke ground a little faster that way. I agree, once the warm weather hits, they take off.

Shreveport, LA(Zone 8a)

I bought my first cypress vine from a nursery - it was about 2 feet tall. I transplanted it to a container and placed the container next to a 6 foot trellis. That was 3 weeks ago. Now I've had to tie a string from the eave of the house down to the trellis in order to provide additional climbing space for the little bugger! It has gotten very thick and has burst into bloom (I have the red variety). I love the look of this vine and intend to make it a permanent addition to my yearly chorus of plants.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey Bear, you don't get a choice if you let it go to seed. We bought a red one about 8 years ago. And have never replanted it. But we have the nicest mound of about 15 or so vines right now. And that's what we left, I'm sure we pulled up more than that. Everywhere!!!! All over the yard!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.