paint recommendation and new roller fantastic

Melbourne, FL(Zone 9a)

i also posted this in the "handyman" section of forum but thought this might be a good place for it too

i just finished painting the kitchen in my new house and used BENJAMIN MOORE EGGSHELL- IT IS AWESOME PAINT and i highly recommend it- i had searched online before buying any paint and found on many forums that BJ was highly recommended - i totally agree with them-- the coverage was amazing, NO PAINT SMELL AT ALL, very fast drying time...excellent coverage and an incredibly beautiful finish

also a friend gave us a super painting gift she got on QVC it is a roller that uses NO TRAY- the paint is poured into the roller and there are NO SPILLS, NO SPATTERS, NO DRIPS, NO MESS.. the thing is totally incredible-- this is the first paint job i have done with out getting more paint on me that the walls-- clean up was a breeze-- the roller is a little heavy if you put a quart of paint in it but with less than a quart it works aok too-

here is the info from qvc site-- its only $20.00!!!!!!!

Paint continuously without the dipping and dripping: the Paint Runner is a self-contained system that gets the job done easier by holding one quart of paint in the roller head. Use it on textured walls and ceilings, as well as interior or exterior surfaces. The cloth roller is easy to clean--simply soak and rinse.

Approximate measurements: Roller 7"L. Paint Runner 9"L.

Made in Singapore.
one Paint Runner with roller
three extra heads
one 3'L pole
one 1-1/2 qt jug

if you are doing any painting RUN to QVC and get this -- you wont be sorry -- it is the most incredible invention i have ever used---

i do not have any affliation with qvc or paint runner- i never heard of it until today when my friend brought the kit over for us as a gift--

no paint on floor, no spatters ANYWHERE
yeah i sound like a commercial but i cant help it- i just had to tell folks about this as it is so incredibly amazing- we didnt even use drop clothes or cover up any furniture or counters-- not one drop of paint came off that roller except on the walls
if ya have any other questions dont hestitate to ask

i just cant recommend these two products enough-- i was very impressed with both

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

This is wonderful news. I've been working up to painting my place for a few months and it's getting closer. The roller sounds wonderful. I had already decided on Benjamin Moore paints but am glad to hear someone else recommend them. My biggest problem is going to be prepping these funky old walls. It's a rental and there are gouges, cracks, layers of old paint and lots of chips. Any miracle product to help with that part?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

swtp15, information I will use for future painting projects. The roller sounds like it was made for me. I always use premium paint and notice lots of decorating articles id. the paint used as Benj Moore. Thank you for the testimony, it is the best "advertisement".

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

There are spackles which have an elastic quality to them, handy for cracks which might again prove troublesome. I'm not sure what the products we saw were -- it was on the tail end of some home improvements segment we saw on TV.

That's really good to know about Benjamin Moore paints and that roller thingie. We still have our kitchen yet to do. What's held us (read: me) up is wanting to be sure we do the metal cabinets right. It seems like it's such an involved job if you want them to turn out well...And that's intimidating.

Coppell, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much for the info on the roller! I wanna paint my bathroom ceiling and I will get that roller for the job! I can't wait!

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

I anyone gets Consumer Reports - they rated interior paints in the latest issue and the Valspar paints that Lowe's sells rated high or best buys....don't remember what BMoore paints rated. I've used the Valspar on two rooms and really like it. I've used eggshell and satin varieties and they are holding up very well - clean easily and everything. I've heard good things about BMoore paints, but have never used them. I just thought it was neat that a large chain had a good rating on a paint. Also - Behr at Home Depot rated well in the flat category. Just more info.

I'm going to do my kitchen next. Color is called Chili Pepper - but it's not bright red....it's like a dark adobe brick color. I'll post pics when I get it done......

Coppell, TX(Zone 8a)

There are a bunch of those paint roller sets, NEW, being sold on ebay right now for a fraction of the cost! Like $8! They're customer returns, unused...I am going to get one there!

Do a search on paint runner and you'll find them.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Very Cool. I'm about to paint lots and I just went to Ebay to check them out, and sure enough.. Lower price :) We have an air compresor machine my husband uses for air tools. I saw a paint attachment at Home depot that connects to it and makes painting dripless and easier... However, it's too much of an investment and better suited for a pro. This is much better.

Thanks

This message was edited May 23, 2007 9:14 AM

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, man. I just checked the benjaminmoore.com site for local retailers, and the closest is about 45 minutes away. How much is their interior latex paint per gallon? Is it worth the added expense of gas to get to the store, you think?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

gardenwife, re: paint. I KNOW from experience that good paint is the only way to go. But Ben Moore is not the only good brand. Behr, Miller, Sherwin Williams are a few.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Rock-n-roll...Thanks, Anastatia! I just found a September 2004 article on interior paints at Consumer Reports website, too. You have to be a subscriber to read it http://www.consumerreports.org/main/content/display_report.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=465191&bmUID=1097267798835

We did a 1-month subscription because we knew we'd be doing a lot of home improvement shopping. It's really paid off for us!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

swtp, I looked up that roller system -- http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%2Fasp%2FIsItemNumberRedirect.asp&search=SQ&frames=y&referrer=QVC&txtDesc=paint+roller&Submit4=Go

It looks really neat. Consumer Reports wasn't crazy about it in their 2002 article, but maybe they've worked out some of the bugs since then.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I just saw a commercial for this Dutch Boy product on TV: http://www.dutchboy.com/r2r/index_store.asp

Their paints rated pretty good on Consumer Reports, but it's that container that caught my eye! It holds 2.5 gallons and seals up when you're done rolling on paint for a while.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Picture:

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh gee wiz.. it took me a minute to figure out that the paint is sold WITH the container! Silly me! That looks good, but I've only ever used home depot paints.. But I trust consumer reports.

This message was edited May 23, 2007 9:15 AM

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

This is just an update on the paint roller- I purchased one called Paint N Roll at Lowe's last summer, made by Wagner (on sale) Just finished using it on our living room and it was great, not a drip or splatter anywhere. It works like a giant hypodermic needle, you put it on the special paint lid, suck up the paint, and then just roll to your heart's content (or until the plunger is empty). Our living room is about 16X16 and other than the cutting in I had a coat on paint on it in about 30 minutes! Can't beat that!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Btailoring, I have tried this Wagner system, and found it spatters just like the old paint roller system. This new one is supposed to be DRIP / SPATTER free. Is your job done without drop cloths?
I'm doing my bedroom tomorrow. How much nap did your roller have.
Are you a tailor? Is business good?

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

The roller cover comes with it, no drop cloths, just don't squeeze too much paint into the roller at a time, you do have to coat it good to start with.. It has a spatter shield on the roller, probably the main thing is use good paint, it's thicker.

Yes I have a tailoring business and have been pretty busy lately doing a lot of work for an interior decorator, helps out with finances when DH is laid off for the winter!:)

I tried the Paint runner, and only found it was very heavy when full, hard to get the paint started, and not near as easy as it looks on QVC. I had absolutely no spatters, even without a cover. I guess there is just no effortless method, except getting someone else to do it. LOL
I use Behr, which is very thick and very good paint.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

-- I looked at the QVC method and after all was said and done.... I have two painters doing the entire enterior of the home now :) I am usually a very frugal wife and I try to do as much as possible myself which probably is why I am stressed with two young boys, but thats another story. Anyway, I was trying to scrape off unprimed 34 year olds wallpaper from the base of the drywall with had been covered again in the early 80's and there was again, no primer. It was slooow and almost impossible. I was going at it one Sunday afternoon and my husband walked by and said "good luck" as if to say "better you than me doing that", and thats when something inside of me just threw it in and I called my guys right then on a Sunday and they ripped out the drywall starting Monday and now those walls are replaced and they are painting up a storm. I even have consulted with two interior decorators since the first wasn't as up my alley as the second. My home will become my sanctuary and I am thrilled. Thanks for letting me share!! :)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Happy day, Susan! Sometimes it is just the most wonderful thing on earth to pay someone else to do the work. Let the skilled folks do it in a quarter of the time and with minimal frustration. We're so glad we let someone else put in our kitchen cabinets and flooring; even if we had been physically up to the task, it would have tried our marriage, LOL.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

How true!! As I was showing my first decorator around the house, I mentioned that I had redone the upstairs office (where I am) and it was done in 97 and the wallpaper is now dated. I said it certainly needed to be brought up to date, to which he agreed. He told me, this is why you should do the entire home all at once because it will take you YEARS to do every room yourself and then you will just start over again. He's right. Also, I've decided to go with a white trim and just put color on the walls to make it much easier to change out wall colors in the future. Right now the trim is this sandy pinkish tone that probably was great in the 80's, but white trim is everlasting in style, and it will be the one constant color through the home. I certainly do love wall colors though and I'm glad I'm not married to a man that only wants white walls, like a friends husband.

Speaking of frugality, my second decorator and I primarily worked with picking colors from the Benjamin Moore palette. I went to the paint store with my 2 year old (distraction) and I let the sales guy talk me in to the better quality paint and he said he was going to give me the decorator discount since I had a decorator. Since I'm not in the painting business I had not been aware of gallon paint prices, when he gave me my total I almost fell out. It's expensive!! After seeing consumer reports, I see that they are very highly rated, but BEHR is too, and I'm sure I could have had it matched. Live and learn. --Or read about those who already have on Daves!! ;)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Matching the tints can be tough - Lowe's matched a color for me and it took two tries (their dollar, thank goodness) before it matched just right.

I don't ever want to wallpaper...My big nightmare would be a big tear or stain and not being able to fix it easily. No thanks! This is how radical color can be: http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/viewentry/48723/

It sounds like you've made some beautiful choices. I like white trim through out also,
Your pickleing sounds interesting, Do share pictures please.
Sidney

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

OH MY GOSH GARDENWIFE!!! THAT IS JUST B E A U T I F U L !!!! I love the red and the cabinets and the molding and all of it!! I am doing three walls in my former dinning, now library room in a red from Ralph Lauren. My decorator was right and they do have great reds. Wow, thats just great!! I bet you LOVE IT!! .. and I give on freecycle and I love it too. I gave away old fencing that was used for artists frames and felt so much better about it than paying to fill the landfill with it. About to give away a great basketball hoop and post too.

Hey sugarweed.. I'm not pickleing :), I was Picking out colors!! :) But I will certainly share when I finish. :)

Right now my painter is having a problem covering the ceiling with the white ceiling paint. We live in my husbands childhood home and his mother was a big smoker so everything was stained with the smoke. He has gone over it twice and there is a yellowish bleedthrough, so he will kilz it and if that doesn't work, I guess I will have to find a color other than white for the ceilings too. We are actually painting the ceilings colors other than white in most rooms.. Living room, kitchen, bedroom and boys rooms. So it's not a huge problem, but I did want white through the halls and library area where its already goign to be a dark red and I need light.

This message was edited May 23, 2007 9:14 AM

Thats a real problem, smoke, but the Kilz or Zingers either one will work.
Gardenwife, your redo is spectacular and I need to spend some time and read it. I just did a look at the pictues scan, so to speak.
Sidney

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you so much! It's a pure pleasure to be in that room now. The color is so warm and inviting, and food looks great, too. :)

Bullseye 1-2-3 Primer is what we used on the kitchen ceiling: http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=11 The coverage was really good and safeguarded the ceiling's finish. I used it because I still had a few greasy pinprick spots even after I'd washed that darned ceiling multiple times with ammonia and water. The previous owner had a gas stove and the grease was unbelievable above the stove.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.