English Ivy, anyone?

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I have an area of English Ivy that has been established for over 30 years. It is dark green, non variegated, grows in sun to deep shade, climbs over rocks, up fences, etc. This is the kind that you see climbing up old buildings. It is beautiful, but I want to reduce the area for more shade garden space. It grows slowly, but will spread over time. If anyone would like some for postage or trade, let me know. I have plenty to offer!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

JRush, I sure would, for postage!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'd love it, but, unfortunately, my shaded garden space is so limited now that I wouldn't have space for it. Great offer, though!!

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7a)

I would love some and would be happy to pay postage.
We are moving into a new house with stone walls and need
quite a bit of ivy to soften them.

Thanks very much!

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

JRush, can you believe I have KILLED almost all of my Ivy. I would love to have some more for postage, unless you don't want to give it to me to murder it. Ever heard of anyone killing ivy before?? I also killed a pot of it that I had growing in my house over the winter. I hope I don't kill anymore as I have an ugly fence that I'd love to cover with it!!!!

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Darius - you have mail!
Onalee - you are smart... it will spread over time!
Ivory - email me your address, along with an idea of how much area you would like to cover. Or the package size. These are vines with roots at intervals along the vines. You can place them on the ground, & they will root everywhere & spring up more leaves. You can cut the vines to fit the space. Berrygirl, send me your address. They can die when they are first planted if they dry out terribly, but this stuff is really hardy! I can't imagine what could cause them to die... maybe an animal? I can also get a larger root for you if you think it may be a problem...Most of my vines aren't even touching the ground anymore, as they have formed a mat of vines several inches thick!

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7a)

I just received a big box of beautiful, very healthy English ivy,
courtesy of JRush. Thank you so much! My postage check is in the mail this morning. I will report on it's progress in this item.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Thank you all for adopting the Ivy I shared... I know it will be well cared for, and I love sharing the plants I have. Funny, I barely made a dent in the area I wished to clear.... so don't hesitate to email me if you would like more! Again, thanks.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Any left to share with me.. for postage?

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Dear Mini,
Probably not as I just got the 500 lb. box that she sent me-LOL!!!! Just kidding- it is absolutely gorgeous and so healthy and big!!!

Dear Jrush, sent your s&h in mail today and again thanks so much for your generosity!!!!!

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Really - it is hard to know what it means when you say "a big box!" I tried to figure what it would look like all laid down together as a ground cover...hope I didn't send too much!
Mini- Email me your address, and an approximate of how much you would like, and I will get it out to you as soon as possible. I have plenty!

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Dear Jrush, I was only kidding!!! I am more than happy with the amt. you sent me!!
No complaints here!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

You wouldn't happen to have any left would you? Thanks, Jody

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Jody - I cannot seem to make a dent in the clearing I meant to do in the Ivy area... no matter how much I give away! Please email your address & about how much you would like, & I will get it out to you!

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Berrygirl - I hope it all grows well for you... I hope to prove you to be an Ivy horticulturist, not a killer! I can't say the same about indoor Ivy, I seem to lose them to bugs too easily!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Will this be hardy in z4? If so, I would love to have a start of your ivy. Please let me know!Thanks, Laura

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Everything I researched said zones 5-10 for hardiness. There may be other ivies that are more cold tolerant out there...

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Thanks for checking... Guess I'll try something else.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

JRush, when you run out of the ivy, I have a truck load that we are going to have to kill with roundup. It's very invasive down here, grows in winter too. So if anyone else wants some after JRush's supply is gone, LMK.

I also have Virginia Creeper vine available if anyone would like some.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, only to add another source when all of yours is gone.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

No kidding... I pull up Virginia Creeper as a weed! I don't know... I guess it IS kinda pretty, but I don't want it in the Ivy. I think it WOULD get out of control if it was left to grow all year round! One person's trash is another's treasure, for sure! Steal away... I hate to think of anyone killing off English Ivy... too sentimental about the stuff! Is it the same dark green non-variegated leaf?

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

The Ivy is dark green non-variegated. We just have enough for half the population of Tallahassee! The Virginia Creeper is a weed to me too, but I have noticed a couple of people in different areas that are looking for it. It's kind of pretty, I guess, if it was trained up a trellis or something, but hard to control here. We also have plenty of dollarweed and dwarf dandelions if anyone wants some!!!

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

I would be interested in getting some ivy for the entrance way of my driveway. If its not too late!

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

I had posted in the Garden Talk forum, asking for ideas for planting this curbside area.

Do you think that the ivy could be "contained" in this area without overrunning the neighborhood?

Jean

Thumbnail by LouisianaSweetPea
Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Osteole, e-mail me your address, and the next time my garden helper comes over, I'll have him dig some up for you. How much do you want? What size area do you want to cover? I'd be happy to have him clear an area in my yard whatever size you need.

Jean, you can always control English ivy anywhere, as long as you can get to it. In LA, it would probably want to become invasive. But as long as you keep an eye on it, and keep clippers close by, if you really love it, you can control it. As long as it is a small enough area, it shouldn't be a problem. E-mail me if you want some.

I'll be happy to send it to either or both of you, no cost. Just let me know how much you want, and I'll box it up.

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Judith, that is so sweet. Thank you. I will send an e-mail.

Jean

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Happy to! I have a lot more than I need!

It will be a few weeks before I can get it boxed up. Don't give up hope!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

To Kooger in Zone 4 b.......I am in the same Zone as You and I grow Boston Ivy on one of my trees and have another one to plant this week...has done good for the last 3 years even though it grows slow.
Hope this helps,
Brigitte

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

GOOD MORNING,
If you are still sharing I would like to cover a large part in my garden which is sheltered and has ferns it it ,so I think a ivy background would be just wonderful .
Think I will be ok with it because I also grow roses for Zone 5 .
Will gladly pay for postage :-))
Thank You in advance ,
Brigitte

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Judith, I have sent you an email with address. Thank you so much. Let me know what shipping costs are.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

After reading Osteole's message I send You a note and my address as well so I won't forget,
Brigitte

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Happy to send it to all three of you. No postage required. Glad to send it to new home. I just have too much. Hate to murder plants!

It will be a few weeks before my gardener helper comes back, he's busy with end of school activities, which I heartily endorse. When he does come over, I will have him dig up as much as he can, and will box it up and send it to you, in order of first request. I'm sure there's plenty for all, as it has extended into the woody areas of our back lot.

My mistake was in not knowing that, if you ignore it, in this climate (new to me), it becomes invasive in my more "natural" environment. I just need to get it under control, and have plenty to share. Just "nip it in the bud" if it begins to extend beyond the area in which you want it. It is pretty, and I still love it. Just would like space for other plantings as well! I guess that I have developed an English ivy "nursery!"

I will e-mail you when I send it out to you. Thank you for "adopting" it.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

If you find you still need a home for some, I would love to adopt some! Thanks and let me know :)

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

LMK how much you could use, and e-mail me your address. I still have plenty. It will just take a few weeks to dig and box it.

Cortlandt Manor, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh -- I would just love some too!! Please!!

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Here's another wish for ivy, if you would be so kind lol I have this hill I have been trying to cover for four years with flowers, the violets keep taking everything over and crab grass, bet that ivy would take care of that crabgrass :-) I can always move my plants, trying to keep dad from having to mow it but it is wearing me out lol Do you have any left? Please, Please, Please Would be more than glad to pay postage, or maybe you might want some of those violets for it, I have them everywhere like your ivy.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Send me e-mail with your address. I will add you to the list. No postage required.

So far, I have received e-mail with addresses from:
Louisiana Sweetpea
Osteole
Ohio Breezy

It will take a while for me to send the ivy, as I am unable to do it myself, and have to wait until my helper is available. Possibly this weekend he can begin digging the ivy. I will box and send as it becomes available, in the above order. Over time, I will be able to accommodate all of you, if there is no immediate rush.

Be sure to send e-mail address. I will post confirmation of receipt.

I am so delighted to have found other homes and plant lovers to share it with. : )

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Good Morning,
Judith I noticed that my address had not be added which I sent yesterday .Probably lost somewhere ? so I just sent You another email again,OK ? :-))Thanks in advance .
Have a good day,
Brigitte in rainy Maine

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes, I noticed that you had inquired early on, but have not at this point received your e-mail. I will let you know as soon as I receive it.

I don't know if you need the rain. I hope you do. If not, sorry the weather is not sunny for you right now.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

No big rush for me darlin, I have a small business I just started and barely have time to be on here, haven't even started working in the yard yet, oh my, my hill is crying for those weeds to be pulled and have to put my plants somewhere take your time, just appreciate the ivy, thank you so much will email you :-) Why can't we have day light all the time and not have to sleep? lol

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

LeBug, I received your e-mail. You're on the list. Good luck on your venture! (We have nighttime so that we HAVE to rest and not work all the time, even when it's fun! LOL)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.