what are these and why don't they bloom?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I thought this was just another species of daffodil. But the leaves are broader, a little more bluish and rounded at the tips. They haven't bloomed so I have no idea what they really are.......

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i have the same thing and so does my mom and they have never bloomed either. i still havent figured it out yet and why they dont. maybe you need to put this on the identification board. you may get more answerd there.

Marie

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Could they be the magic lilies? I have some that look like that. They send out foliage in the winter/early spring and then the flowers come in the summer after the foliage has died away. Maybe if you fertilize them now you'll get flowers later on. If not, off with their heads! lol

I'm not sure if I ever got any of those or not. Geesh, I can't remember what I have if I don't label them. I'll fertilize them and give them some bonemeal and pray something happens...

They might have gone 'blind' (refusing to flower), this happens when they are crowded together for some time. You could try splitting the clump and bone mealing the replant area.

Equally they might not be flowering size yet, for example some Narcissus (not saying that's what they are) can take 7 years to bloom.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

I think they are Scilla Campanulata......they will throw a flower later. Mine are up about 8 weeks and the buds are now just showing.

I thought scillas were small; these are larger than my daffodils

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

my first thought when i saw the foliage is the "van sion" which is an extremely old heirloom daff.
maybe they need to be seperated? location changed? i could be wrong. mine bloom, but not in abundance.
i gave away quite a few at the swap today so im hoping that will give the few i kept enough room to put on a show.
jen

I haven't had them long. I think 2 years. I moved them last year because they didn't bloom . I wouldn't think they would be that crowded yet . I wish I could remember if I got Magic Lillies from someone or not.........

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Look kind of like naked ladies. The leaves die down and then it flowers. Guess that is why they call them naked ladies.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

It does look like the foliage on my belladonna lilies (aka naked ladies). I've heard that if the bulb is too deep it might not flower for years ... this is my first year with them, so I don't really know ...

Cheri'

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, if the leaves die down to nothing soon and then you get a stem and bud out of the ground that looks like this, then you know you have naked ladies.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I think it's Naked Ladies aka Amaryllis belladonna. I've read they don't like to be disturbed and newly planted bulbs won't bloom the first year or two. I got some from PotEmUp last year so I guess I'll find out if they bloom the first year or not. (Cheri' did you get yours from George too?) Brenda

Thanks, all. I'll bet that's what they are. I knew i was looking for them, just don't remember if I ever got them and from whom. Hate these senior moments...

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

langbr, some of my belladonnas came from George, some I had already ordered when he offered his.

George's were HUGE! I have his planted in one spot, and the bought ones in another. They are all doing wonderfully well. I hope to get blooms this year, but won't be too disappointed if I don't.

I wasn't expecting to get a bloom from my St. Joseph Lily, that I got last year. But, even tho it's late, it's putting up a bud! woo hoo! I've read that it can take a couple of years for them to get comfortable enough to bloom ...

Cheri'

They now appear to be falling over a bit and turning brown at the tips so perhaps they are Naked Ladies.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

maybe some bone meal? while they are greening.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

My bet is Lycoris. If they are like mine, they won't bloom until they are well established. I planted very large bulbs 2 years ago and I still have not seen them bloom.

Tunnel Hill, GA(Zone 7a)

Yes I have some of those bulbs that make a beautiful lush greenery display. When mine puts forth a bloom I will let you know. I do not remember a thing blooming last year from it but I have hope for this year. Let me know if yours blooms first. In Tunnel Hill, Georgia we see iris's and the like in June.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Did these ever bloom?

They must be what's called "The Clumper", which never bloom. Opinions vary between Crinum and Hymenocallis.

I have some and I'm trying different things to see if I can find the key to get it to flower and reveal its identity. I grew it sitting in water all season last summer--nothing. But I'll do that again since perhaps the bulbs weren't old enough.

Wonder if it needs to be in a cool running stream?

R.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

I see this is an old thread, and I didn't read the whole thing, but here's my opinion...for what it's worth.
I had very simular foliage come up every year in the fall and it didn't bloom for years. Finally, this past year, one single bloom emmerged in January...a paperwhite.
Apparently I planted them years ago. But they aren't in enough light, esp. since they bloom winter/early spring. Because they don't get sufficient light, they never bloom. (At least that's my reasoning.) The foliage stays beautiful until around March.
I'm eager to see what others say. Isn't it funny when really old threads pop up again!

This message was edited Feb 6, 2008 10:29 PM

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I think I jumped way off target with my guess about the Clumper (It's a much bigger plant and the form is different.) I think you might be right on target about it really being a Narcissus that just isn't/wasn't getting what it needs.

Maybe woodspirit has moved it since he first asked about it.

Hope it wan't to the compost heap. It might be a nice heirloom variety.

R.

Richmond Hill, GA

They look like my agapanthus.
Arlene

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

how about fritilaria? I have a similar clump of non flowering foliage that I think is a fritilaria that I planted some years ago
just a thought
laura

Oak Forest, IL(Zone 5b)

This is a very old thread, and my comment probably won't help much, but I will give it a shot anyway. I have the same exact plant in my front garden. It was left there by the previous owners. It is a thick ornamental grass and does not bloom. It is invasive and I've tried to remove it but it doesn't have roots or a bulb. They grow from small strong stumps (I know, real scientific) that are white and milky. I had to use an ax and a shovel to remove as much as I could to make way for a peony. Now I have sprouts of this plant growing around my peony. I can tell by the picture here that this is the same plant I have because of the base. I have looked and looked and I have never been able to formally identify it. It has the shape of snakes tongue, but it's all light green. In the fall, when the plant starts to die back, the leaves are very sharp and I get 'paper' cuts if Im not wearing gloves.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2009 2:42 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images