Corkscrew Vine

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I want it, I need it, i GOTTA have it. Im really debating on how much i need my left arm because that seems to be the going price for it
jen

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

i want one so bad too! sooo beautiful!

Brundidge, AL(Zone 8b)

house of wesley had one really resonable if i recall but you know how those things mail order look like when theycome pitiful!!!
Try ebay some times i find stuff on there really cheap

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

thanks springsong

Flower Mound, TX(Zone 7b)

Are you referring to the "snail vine"? I think it is also called corkscrew vine...It is one Thomas Jefferson grew at Monticello. The website for that is www.monticello.org Spring Hill has it for 9.00 or 10.00. I have been looking for one too - and ordered it from them last week. I hope it is healthy when it arrives - I have heard less than favorable remarks about Spring Hill on this site....

This message was edited Apr 5, 2004 8:27 PM

This message was edited Apr 5, 2004 8:28 PM

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I just checked Ebay and the two vines that are up for auction there are called corkscrew, but the pictures are of snail vine. It has no fragrance and goes wild. I wouldn't get it if the picture is an indication of what the vine is, especially if you have your heart set on the Vigna Caracalla.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

The place shearpamela mentions in the above post is probably your best bet for this year. Earlier this year Parks was selling them by the six pack for about 15 bucks. Everyone seems to be out of them right now.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

i checked ebay and only saw the purple snail vine. Janet is trying to root one of the snailf vines for me (any hints?)
Ill just have to keep trying. Just seems to be so elusive
Jen

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I guess if I get mine growing well this summer, I should take some cuttings and see if I can get them to root. You are right, it is a bit hard to find and also a bit high priced.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I find it at Monticello for $10. I went ahead and ordered it there because they also had formosa lilies. Silly me i thought they were the bulbs, so i ordered 3...wellllllll they are seeds, so im thinking golly, i hope they dont have 50 seeds per pack, id be in deep doo-doo. i emailed them hoping they can change that, but if not...they were only $2./pack.
thanks to everyone for their help. Monticello isnt going to start shipping until 4/19 so that gives me time to figure out where to put it.
thanks again
jen

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL Shirley, did you check out that price on ebay for the snail vine???? And someone is gonna pay that! Brugie is right, for all that do not know it, that IS NOT a corkscrew vine selling on ebay right now.

**edited to clarify the selling on ebay.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2004 10:32 PM

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

thanks for the info everyone! i have been keeping up with the corkscrews on ebay, and that 35 dollar one scared me away for a while. the spring hill catalog has been flipped open to the corkscrew page and tacked to my bulletin since i found it though! i think i'll also go order one from monticello. yay and thank you!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Once you get your corkscrew vine, you can take cuttings of semi ripe new growth. As long as they aren't budded or blooming, they should root. In the fall, store the big tuber like roots as you would dahlias or pot them and keep like a mandevilla vine. They will go dormant all winter and regrow in the spring if kept above freezing.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Too cool, just got email confirmation from Monticello that they have deleted the formosa seeds. Now thats what i call service!!!!!
Jen

I love their site - plants with a historic background makes it a bonus as well...

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Just to update.
I received the Corkscrew Vine yest from Monticello. It arrived in fantastic shape.
I had no idea that it actually formed a tuber so i was a little shocked when i opened it. It was shipped bareroot, but looks healthy.
Ill keep you posted...i am so excited
Jen
p.s. they said they would start shipping on 4/19, i received it on 4/22...not bad, eh?

Just wanted to say something about FedEx, off topic. The delivery guy tried to deliver it yest afternoon and i wasnt home. about 1 hr later, he came back saying that he saw a new car in the driveway. I thought "wow, thats service!!" of course he must've thought i was an idiot when i saw it was from monticello. I'm ripping open the package like a kid at christmas and he's like ummm, can i have a signature, first, lol

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

LOL.. I have the seeds but never plant them! I keep forgetting plant them! I better plant them tomorrow!

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

I ordered the 'fragrant snail vine' from Parks back in February. I just spoke with customer service. Supposedly the grower had a crop failure. They expect shipment May 15. We'll see.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I found someone in B.C. that has the seeds....any special tips or tricks to get them going? I should be getting them in a week or two. These would be the seeds from the fragrant one. Would this vine do ok inside for the winter?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I keep mine in the basement under light, but it doesn't do much. I've heard that all you have to do is dig the tuber and hold it over as you would a dahlia rhizome.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks Brugie! :)

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Jen,

Not Fair!!!! I ordered mine in Jan. form Parks & keep getting the run-around, I've called 3 times (guess they will get another call),

Honeybee

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

oh man, bonnie!!!!
what is parks saying?
of course youre welcome to cuttings of this one provided i dont murder it. im going to ignore it, so maybe it will have a chance to grow, lol.
i got the blue sky planted and im so excited about that one too.!!!!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Someone told me not to overwater the corkscrew vine. So, once mine was well rooted in, I only hit it with water maybe once a week and it did great. I think I also read that it doesn't like a lot of fertilizer and mine never got any and bloomed fairly well. Wish someone would jump in here and tell us exactly what to do with this vine.

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Jen,
First time I call Parks told me they
should be mailing in the 2 weeks!! The last 2 times I called they said
the grower is behind because the last cold snap. I am really getting bent with Parks, I order the day the Catalog arrived!!

I was given some seeds, which I planted over a month a go, not even a hint of green yet!!

My Sky vine is at least 8 ft. up my Trellis already. I know it is growing a foot a day!!

Jen, what can we bring you from N.O. Sale, I know there is something you just have to have????

Honeybee

I got my snail/corkscrew vine from SpringHill Nursery yesterday - it took awhile and I was getting worried. I thought they would say it was sold out or backordered - but I got it. It is an elusive little vine! I bought a copper obelisk just for it, so I hope it does well :) We'll have to post photos of them when they "grow up"...

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Just hope mine is "lucky" enough to grow up, lol.
Maybe i should save its life and give it to Bonnie to grow for me, roflol.
Jen

brugie, im watching the thread too hoping to get some pointers. Monticello sent a great planting sheet with it. It says its a heavy feeder, use all purpose plant food, full sun to very light shade.

I think i saw a thingie on it that wasnt there yest..maybe im hoping to much
jen

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Jen. I'll feed mine this year and see what happens. Maybe I'll get even more blooms. They do smell great.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I ordered one from Monticello last Spring, and brought it inside, pot, trellis and all for the Winter. I only watered it a few times all winter ............. it lost all it's leaves of course, but it is now sending out some nice new foliage. Maybe I should have trimed it down, but it wasn't very big so I just left it as it was. I hope with some fertilization, it will get bigger this year.

I also ordered another one from Monticello and have just potted that one up too.

I get obsessive about some things................ I am one of you that also ordered the 6 pack from Parks. I was beginning to wonder about them ................ I was not very happy when I read that they had crop problems. I wonder why they don't notify people when things like that happen. I'm off to email them about my order and see if I can find out anything more.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Please let us know what they tell you Tree_Climber.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I wondering would it be better to grow it in the ground and leave it or dig up the tuber? If so, how do i store it?
...or should i repot it in a pot and bring it in. I do no have a greenhouse.
jen

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Celia and All,

I'll let everyone know what response I get from Parks. I imagine I won't hear anything until after the weekend.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Someone said to dig it and store like a dahlia tuber. I may try that next year. They are very deep rooted....sending down a very long tap root. I had trouble getting mine dug last year.

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Tree_Climber,

I can't wait to hear what they tell you. I am calling Park's again on Monday.
I may try ordering from Monticello, but it is probably to late.

I checked the seeds I started for Corkscrew, that were given to me. I almost FAINTED!! One has pop it's little head up!! Keep your fingers
crossed for the others!!

Jen, don't send your plant to me, I would probably kill with TLC. My plants do much better if I can just leave them alone, which I can't!!

Honeybee

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

http://shop.bright.net/fsg/Detail.bok?no=172

I ordered the snail vine from Flower Scent. It came in a reasonable time, at a reasonable cost, I thought, and although it was small, in a 4" pot, within a few days of planting in the ground, new shoots were coming off the top. I'm growing it on my bench trellis so must keep an eye on it a train it to go where I want it to.

In addition, Flower Scent is in the Watchdog with 100% positive ratings. They are very informative about care instructions right there on the sales page.

:^)
Molly

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Someone was kind enough to share a few seeds with me. Two of them germinated several weeks ago. The rest turned to mush ...........

One seedling still only has two leaves and I don't think they are true leaves, the other one has one set of true leaves .... they still look alive, but they aren't doing much.

You see ........... I tried all avenues this year .... started seeds, bought a tuber, ordered seedlings and oh yes overwintered one planted in a pot last year.

One of them has got to be sucessful ...........

Brundidge, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks for that link I ordered me one also.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I've grown the corkscrew vine for a long time. The first year, it was in a two gallon pot, it grew over a trellis, rooted itself in the ground and when it was time for frost, I tried to bring the whole plant in, but had to cut it back to about 4 ft tall and all the roots outside the pot were cut off. The leaves all fell off, but I still gave it a bit of water from time to time and kept it in the garage(which didn't freeze in winter). I thought it was dead, but in spring, it put out new growth from the big "tuber" that was in the pot.
Two or three years ago, I planted one in the jungle house and it grew roots out of it's pot and grew vines all over one side of the greenhouse. It bloomed like crazy. I give mine Peter's plant food. I managed to save a little piece of mine when we moved. It's finally starting to grow. You can root cuttings from non flowering growth(new sprouts that don't have buds or flowers).

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Calalily,

Thanks for sharing your experience with this plant.

I knew you could take cuttings, but didn't know they should be non flowering growth. I'm sure, you've prevented some failed attempts at trying to root cuttings.

Brundidge, AL(Zone 8b)

thanks somuch for the info, i can't wait to get mine. I think i will keep mine in a pot this year, do they like full sun , or sull shade? or half and half?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.