Our 19th Annual Photo Contest is now open for entries. You can submit your best images HERE

Harlequin Flower 'Mixed Colors' (Sparaxis tricolor)

Tokyo, Japan

Harlequin Flower 'Mixed Colors'
Sparaxis tricolor

This year's blooms.

Thumbnail by Lophophora
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Very pretty, I have always wanted to try these various small bulbs. Are they difficult? Do you have them in the ground or in pots?

Tokyo, Japan

Thanks again Lenjo -

Actually, the commercially available Sparaxis hybrids are among the easiest of South African winter growing bulbs - as long as they stay relatively dry during their summer rest. If Mt. Angel gets alot of summer rain, pots might be best.

Some other members have complained that they get too leggy and can't support the weight of the blooms, but that's easily remedied by planting in large compact groups, or among other stronger plants that can help support them. Or you could use wire support stakes like I do.

Seeds readily germinate, and can be grown in pots in a frost-protected frame for two years before planting out. After that they are hardy - at least here in Tokyo (Win. min. -4C)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

OUr summers are very dry, but winters very wet. So it would certainly will be something I will try. Our colder here is colder than Tokyo though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images