For DPmichael

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

The Latin for the Russian Vine is Polygonum aubertii, aka Chinese Fleece vine and Silver Lace vine. Be careful where you site it - very aggressive, but quite beautiful when it flowers. I grew it once over an old shed but it made it's way through the shed and took over. I also saw it growing up an old wall in England and it looked magnificent covered with the pendulous florets. I imagine it would do very well on a fence that didn't come into contact with anything else be it a building or tree etc. Hope this helps :-)

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

Louisa, thank you indeed.
It sounds VERY interesting to me - I wonder if the plant will suvive through the Cretan summer - it is quite hot here, and although I water them every 2 - 3 days, if they have too many leaes they do not make it.
Any idea where I could get seeds??

thanks again
Dimitri

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi DP - Know what you mean about the wonderful summers. I lived in Cyprus for three years. Right now I don't know a source for seeds and when I finish unpacking I will try and get some info on this. The vine is very well known and should be easy to locate :-)

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6a)

Hello DP,

I have the seeds... just been so busy... have not been doing any trading or posting. I would be happy to send you some for a SASE. They are easy to grow from seed. Ours self sow; and I share the pop-up vines each spring. They do well in sun or shade; and our summers have been very hot... months in the 90's.

Louisa...

I too have lived in Cyprus ... 2 years '66 to '68. Sure would love a jasmine bush I had there... the fragrance... enchanting.

E-mail me for the address... if you like. I could send them within a week or so. Always send them.. just takes me a little time with my schudule.

Betty of KY

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Betty - off thread here - I'm sure Dave won't mind. Was there in 62-65 in Famagusta. The jasmine, heavenly!! The medlars yum-yum!!

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

Thank you Betty of KY!!

I'm afraid the SASE will not be of much use to you - unless you collect Greek stamps.
I 'll send you an email later to sort something of a trade.
Do take your time, I am very busy as well.
Dimitri.

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Betty! Haven't seen you on DG in ages.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey Tim... Hope you have gotten some rain there. Have not been posting or trading much. Very busy doing radical garden changes. If there is anything your looking for would be happy to keep an eye out for you.

DP... will send on any seed... my treat.

Louisa... we are almost neighbors. Famagusta, I visited there once. I lived in Nicosia... and didn't know how to even plant a seed then... 20 year old with 2 babies. Sure would love that exact Jasmine bush... have never seen it locally. I don't think it would survive the winters here. Any suggestions for scented bushes?

Hey Dave... If you read this... just doing some catch-up posting.

Hope you all have a wonderful season...

Betty of KY

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.