Hollyhock (Alcea rosea)

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Hollyhock
Alcea rosea

This is a red single HollyHock, I bought it at a nursury last fall and it was labled as Ruby Red. It has soared to almost 12 feet and is still going.... pretty color.

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

HI WW, beautiful flowers!! ...had to chuckle tho, was that 12 feet across? or up? :)

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL......Kooger it was up not out...........LOL
Dee

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Dee, do you want to resubmit a 1/4-turned image and replace this one? (We can't rotate them once they're submitted ;o)

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I hadn't thought about it Terry since this is how it grew. It was soooo tall it was pulled over by the weight of the flowers and that is how I got such a good close up of the flowers. Since my computer crash I don't think I even have the original anymore. I will look and see and if I do and it looks better I will let you know and submit it.
8o)
Dee

Hi Dee,
I'm trying hollyhocks for the first time this year. Did you feed this one anything? Sure is gorgeous, any way you look at it!
Angele

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Angele, It just recived feeding maybe a couple of times during the year. I didn't feed it alot, but the soil I had it in is very good and I would guess that had alot to do with it growing so big. I have seed of this one if anyone is intrested. I don't think they are any better than ones you have, just the flowers are a very pretty color, shape and size.

8o)

Dee

Would love to trade some seeds with you, I bought a Chater's double scarlet and my dad (72 years old) gave me seeds of lots of colors. I have seeds left over, and hope to have seeds from the Chater's too.
I am not used to gardening in Elephant Butte. I've been in New Mexico for over 25 years but EB has very different soil. It's sand that seems to drain well but if you dig down is very wet for quite a while after rain. Seems very dense and heavy when wet too. It' s so dense I'm afraid it will starve the roots of my plants of oxygen! This will be a year of experimentation. Wish me luck! -Angele

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.