I began to plant the Trees

Herbstein, Germany(Zone 5a)

Today, I started to bring the brugs outside. The first ones to be planted were the trees.
The alley this morning:

Thumbnail by monika

I am not finished yet but hope it to be tomorrow evening.

Thumbnail by monika
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh Monika! Its looking wonderful!! Isnt it nice to have some color back in the yards?

Yes, it is Shelley! Soon, the Rhododendron and Azaleas will be flowering, the buds of Azalea pontica are not completely open yet but the fragrance of it is already noticeable in the garden.

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm SO excited for you Monika. Your yard looks lovely already. I can't imagine what it will look like when everything is in bloom.

I will also add, your yard is so neat and tidy. I'm envious.

SE Arky, United States(Zone 8a)

It was super before you started and beautiful now, I can only imagine how pretty it will be when they bloom!! I KNOW how hard you have worked, I plant all my plants, including digging the holes, removal of the dirt and the clean up. Work is a gift and working in a garden such as yours is a blessing...

Whitewater, WI

It's gorgeous, Monika....

You have such a sense of balance in your vision. I love everything about it !!!

It might be easy for some to think of just brugs when they think of you but there seems to be no limit to what you can create....

By the way, what's that blue flowering bush in the first pic???

It's beautiful. :)

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I want to go to Germany! I remember the first time I saw pictures of your gardens. I'm still in awe every time I see them.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Gosh Monika, Your place looks pretty darn good... without the brugs! I can just imagine what it will look like once they get going...

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm still trying to figure out how you people that live in cold climates have hostas this big already. I live in zone 9a and mine never start emerging until late April. What am I doing wrong? Monika, your garden is always beautiful, no matter what time of year you show it.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Mini, I think it depends on the cultivar. I have some that are all leafed out already .... and others are just poking through now.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Monika....My My!!! I'm drooling just dreaming of what this is going to look like in a few months! You've accomplished an amazing garden! Do you ever want to stay out there all night long?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Monika, you must be exhausted at the end of the day, but what satisfaction you feel when it is all done. It already looks wonderful. Wish I had your yard. Of course, I'd like the brugs to go with it. LOL!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I wish I had Monikas energy to make my yard look like that.

How is the soil there Monika? I just never paid attn to it when I was younger. Is it clay, sandy, rocky or are you a lucky one with black gold?

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Oh Monika, your place is just lovely. You have a flair for putting plants in just the right spot for the best effect. If & when I get back to Germany, I'll come calling! Linda

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Monika, just lovely now and when in bloom will be spectacular. Do you add something to your pots when you put them in place in the alley. I see the sacks of perhaps manure. Donna

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5a)

Monika, it is going to be beautiful when your brugs start blooming. Heck it looks great right now as it is.

Orange Park, FL(Zone 8b)

Spring has arrived & I know you are happy. Knew before I opened the thread things would be looking fabulous can hardly wait to see it all in bloom.

(Zone 9b)

Those plants must be ever so happy to back in the ground again. You have this down to a science!

Are you putting any new trees out there this year? How many brug trees are in your alley Monika?

Angleton, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful. You must be exhausted today from all the work you have done planting your brugs. Your garden is so full of color and I can't wait to see your brugs blooming again. What is your temperature there now?

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Looks fabulous so far Monika

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

absolutely gorgeous!! Monika, when you are finished there you can come and stay with me and help get my yard/garden beautiful as well :)

Linden, TN

It looks just fabulous.... before and after planting those brugs... I can only imagine what it is like when they bloom.... wow...

LL

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Oh Goody! Soon we'll start seeing pics of the alley! Monika, did you make any changes to it this year? It's always the highlight of the season seeing your rows of trees. I'm sure glad you got a digital.

Vancouver Island, BC(Zone 8b)

Your garden is looking as gorgeous as ever. I can't wait to see the alley trees blooming again.

Adrian, MI(Zone 5b)

I didn't know that Germany was where EDEN was!
But then, of course, Angel Trumpets would be the star of it!
Bonnie

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

OMG Monika!! It just isnt fair that your growing season is so short! Seems like only weeks ago I was drooling over this picture. How far are you from bringing in the brugs for the winter?

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

Monica,
Your garden is just gorgeous. The time that you must spend must be ever lasting....Really, beautiful. What are the blue flowers in your picture?
Blessings,Ingrid

Shelley, the seedlings are already cut back and the tops are in the jars so they can root. Tomorrow, the brugs in the backyard will be cut back and hopefully, the trees on Friday.
Ingrid, the blue flowers are Rhododendrum impeditum Azurika

Syracuse, NY

hI Monika beautiful pictures of your yard i dread the thought of fall and winter are season is also short and this summer it was wet and cool. now we might get the remnants of hurricane ivan we got both charlie and frances. I have 80 brugs now anddread the thought of bringing them inside. i have a couple that are 9 feet tall. We have been lucky our temperature has been in the high seventies for two weeks and today it will reach 90. Bob

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Gosh, I hate the thoughts of having to start cleaning up the flower beds, re-potting, taking cuttings, etc. It is such a job. I think I need artifical brugmansia trees with fragrance.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

LOL, Brugie! It just would not be the same without all the backaches, heartaches and worry. Not to mention the joys of a new bloom.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

That's true Liz. At least I do get a little break during the winter months.

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

Monica, Did you ever hear of Zimmer Linde? My mom had them in Germany? Is this hard to get where you live?
Bleesings, Ingrid

Thanks Bob! The remains of Frances went over us today with high winds but no damage. Our storm season has just started here, snow season in appr, two weeks.Ingrid, the Zimmerlinde is a common plant here.

I do not mean to imply this 'tree' is in Monika's ballgame; however, Long Tall Sally, pet name, with unknown parents, is, my foundation brug/tree, here at my little Arky garden in my barn grotto. The third week of August, I cut a seven foot 'shoot' out of my original brug, rolled it in root stimulater, planted it in a much too small pot, put it in the shade, and the few leaves I left are still there, and in oh, such a short time, new leaves were growing!! I could NOT believe it, I am just thrilled, I think Sally is wonderful and lots of the local gardners really like her too, and cannot believe that she was so easy to root, in the worst time of the summer. Next year, I plan to do the same thing the minute I find the right length, suitable shoot...Long Tall Sally wants an alley and some pals...

Thumbnail by SherryLike
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Looking good Sherry.

It looks good but you have to support the whole trunk to keep it straight.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I am a little unsure of how you get the standard (alle) trees. Do you just cut off all side shoots below the Y?

Thanks, Shirley & Monika!!! I had SO little confidence that the shoot would live, that I just put it in a pot and let it rest in the corner of the bakers rack. The minute I saw new growth, I intended to stake it properly, but my aunt has been ill - so, it grew, merrily, on it's own, for some time. I'm going to move it to a larger pot, and stake it properly, as soon as I get the rebar. This tree is the most fun ever, 'Sally' has lots of admirers and preens, as if she knows she is special...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.