Shell Ginger 'Variegata' (Alpinia zerumbet)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Shell Ginger 'Variegata'
Alpinia zerumbet

Armando's and Nellie's ginger bloom. Mine hasn't bloomed yet. Shown in May.

Thumbnail by htop
Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

That is such a nice plant. Interesting foliage and flowers. Is the name derived from the blooms' resemblance to cowry shells?
(If you get too much of this plant, let me know, I want one!)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I really don't know. I'll have to research the name. I am amazed by how fast it grows. Eventually I will have to thin out some and you will be sure to receive some starts. I covered it during freezes and it did not freeze down, but we never had any really hard freezes. Armando and Nellie have it growing in a very, very large container. Thanks for your comments.

Santa Cruz, CA

This is beautiful! Mine has been in a good spot (part sun part shade) for about 3 years, but I've neglected to "feed" it. It hasn't bloomed, and I'm thinking it's because it's lacking in nutrition....What do you think? Have you fed yours regularly to get it to bloom like this? I am SO bad about not fertilizing...

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Mine were in the ground quite some time before they bloomed. When mine would freeze to the ground and have to come back up, they did not bloom again for several years because they bloom on old growth. I do not fertilize mine at all. I believe the blooms appear when the plant has leaves that are at least 2 to 3 years old. This winter was the coldest we have had in my area for many, many years and mine froze completely to the ground when the temperature fell to 13 degrees F.. They are just now coming back up. I hope that yours bloom for you soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.