Ruby Leaf, Parrot Leaf, Calico Plant, Joy Weed 'Purple Knight' (Alternanthera de

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Terry, I think the ID on this is wrong. ;o)

It looks like Strobilanthes dyerianus (Perssian Sheild)

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/516/index.html

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

I was so taken by this the first year I saw it, I brought it into the house when it got cold. It was too large, so I had to clip it and within days it developed shoots and BLOOMED all winter long to some degree or other. It is sold as a leaf-decorative annual here in zone 7. It was never mentioned that it also blooms. I managed to get it through the summer and another winter. The following summer it died from 'neglect'. I didn't water it enough or something like that. I have seen them as rather large bushes (about 4 feet tall and wide) in the State and National parks gardens around here . Apparently they overwinter in greenhouses.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Persian Shield
Strobilanthes dyerianus

Going in a container with chartreuse Bacopa and dark ornamental sweet potato vine

Thumbnail by Terry
Dallas, TX(Zone 8b)

I saw these for the first time in a nursery in Dallas,Tx. I asked if they would come back and was assured that they would. They do and I also had it bloom for me but only on one plant. They are all coming back with a vigor. They must love lime because that is what my backyard is full of. I have them in the ground. I also have them in the shade and planted a couple in the sun, but that just bleaches out the color. So I say plant in the shade.

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

Nipajo.....I always wished this comment section could identify writers including their location. Where are you that you can leave them outside in the winter? I assume Texas, since you mentioned a Dalles nursery. They certainly do not survive here in 7a (Va/Md).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.