Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta)

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Sago Palm
Cycas revoluta

This one has remained pretty well the same size over the past 2 years, very slow growers.

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Toledo, OH

i have recieved mixed advise on sunlight requirements for sago palms. one says shade or plant will burn. another says full sun or partial shade. i would like to place my sago outside in the sun this summer with the rest of my palms. what would you suggest. thank you [email protected] user name ohiopalms

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Ohiopalms, here in the Texas heat folks have them planted everwhere. In total sun, partial shade, total shade and what ever in between. I have noticed that the ones that had a little more shade seemed to do the best and are larger than ones of the same age planted in full sun. I think the sun is more demanding on the water and nutients than the ones that have a little more shade. But the ones in total shade seem to enot do to well either but do better than the ones in full sun. SO if it was mine I would go with Morning sun about 4-5 (10 or 11 o'clock would be good enough) hours and evening shade.

I know that soil conditions play a role as well. The one planted right up next to the house was in alot of sand. It nearly died before I figured out what was wrong and moved it. It only gets a maximun of 3 hours of sun a day and I guess that is enough since it is growing and putting out new fronds....

Dee

8o)

Dee.

Toledo, OH

where can i find inexpensive planters of 25 gallon capacity or larger. i have two coconut palm trees that will need to be transplanted into larger containers

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Do you have access to plastic barrels. I use plastic barrels that the farmers get herbicides in and wash them really good and cut them in half. This works wonders for me and I can get 6 barrels for about 20 dollars. That gives me 12 large planters.

You might ask at the feed store if they know anyone that has any for sale. That is what this Tequila Sunrise brug is planted in.

dee 8o)

Thumbnail by WillowWasp

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.