California Bluebells, Desert Bluebells (Phacelia campanularia)

Colorado Springs, CO

California Bluebells, Desert Bluebells
Phacelia campanularia

wild desert bluebells

Thumbnail by lyvetteb1
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, this is sure one gorgeous blue plant. Did you grow from seed or buy your plant? I have tried some sort of phacelia from seed but no luck. Gosh, this certainly makes me want to try again. It has the same vivid blue as anagallis monelli.

Colorado Springs, CO

This plant just appeared in a pile of dead grass that I had removed from another part of the yard. It took me forever to figure out what kind of plant it was. I saved the seeds and have plans to plant it in a pot and see if I'm as successful as mother nature was. The leaves look like it could be related to some kind of african violet.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, I hope you have luck, gives me the courage to try again. I think I read somewhere about planting it in the fall.

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Such a cute little plant! Your photo sent me on a search for a California bluebell plant -- forget THAT! But I did find several sources for seeds (although I am terrible with seeds). It kills me when gardeners can produce beautiful flowers from something that was "growing on some dead grass." LOL. You did good!

Might not even grow in my area, but I'd like to give it a try. I'd love to see it growing in the garden. Nice picture!

Jean

Maresfield East SUSS, United Kingdom

I saw this plant today (among many others) at the cheslea Flower show in London in Kat Frey's "The Fetzer Sustainable Winery garden" VERY nice. the blue is heavenly. i aam going to sourse it here, althought i do not like starting from seed-We live in the South East and the climeat and soil would suit this plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.