Secret tropical/subtropical plant trade

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Yvonne, what are the odds? No question of who my secret trader is. The box arrived today from the same place I sent mine out to.

YTRN sent me:
A nite light with an underwater ocean theme
Tropical Dream body lotion
A package of Tropical popsicle makers
A soft and fuzzy fern (so unusual)
2 different nephthythis
A cordyline
A pink Anthurium
A tall lovely "unknown"
And last but certainly not least, a crinum with a root bulb that's almost as big as my head. (When I was rooting in the newspapers, I thought it was a head of lettuce lol)

I am so happy with everything you sent, Yvonne, and now I have some of your garden in mine. I am overwhelmed with your generosity and I will do my very best to take care of all of them.

Now for a recipe to make virgin pina colada popsicles for the 4th of July.

Thanks so much and thanks to Bward for hosting this trade. It's lots of fun.

:^)))
Molly

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Mailed mine today just under the deadline.
I received my package yesterday.
I got:
Cardboard palm-(I am SO happy about this one!!)
White plumbago
Clerodendrum phillipi(mexican hydrangea)
Tasmanian violet
Lemon grass(also really happy about this one)
I am not positive who sent my secret trade, but I am very happy with it. T
Thank you so much!!
Happy Gardening!!!
Janet

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Yvonne, I planted them out just now and I think I know what the plant labeled "??" is. A Cala lily. It even has a bloom on it, not quite open yet, I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks again,
:^)))))
Molly

Kingston, GA(Zone 7b)

Whooooooopeeeeee! I got a wonderful box yesterday from Calalily. Thank you Cala for sharing these great tropicals with me. I will take good care of them. May I get some info from you on growing plumerias? These will be my first to grow. I got the following in my box:

Pink Plumeria cutting
White/Yellow Plumeria rooted
Chinese Banana (is this a lasiocarpa?)
Melanga Taro bulb
India Rubber Vine (always wanted to try one of these)

I know I will enjoy seeing all these grow in my gh. Tropicals make my winters here so much more cheery and happy. :)
Thanks again Calalily for sharing these with me. And Thank You Barbara for doing this Secret Swap---it was alot of fun!
((Smiles & Hugs))

Smithton, IL(Zone 6a)

'Eyes'

I am so happy you liked my trade. That was the longest box I could find. I still had to cut back the leaves on the bird of paradise to get it to fit.

Enjoy.

Bill

Yazoo City, MS(Zone 7b)

Molly! Glad you liked your "head of lettuce"! lol That thing will bloom its head off!
I thought the unknown might be a type of cala or peace lily. I had accidentally thrown it out this spring thinking nothing was in the pot...then about a month later, I was walking by the hole I had been trying to fill up, and this plant was standing there, big and beautiful, looking almost insulted I had thrown her out! So I grabbed her back up and repotted her. The timing of this swap was great because she had started blooming.
Glad you liked things and many thanks to Barbara for hosting this!
Yvonne

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

My box arrived today (I think from JanetOS).

Wow, wow, WOW! I am absolutely delighted with my box-full of BIG, healthy, gorgeous plants! I didn't have ANY of these in my garden, and all are welcomed additions.

Alocasia wentii
Imperial Taro
Costus spicatus
Canna - City of Portland
Hedychium coccineum

I looked them all up in the PDB and was even more thrilled when I realized what I had. I've never heard-of nor seen an Imperial Taro before -- what beautifully marked leaves! (this is going to be a favorite).

You should see how big and healthy these plants are! An instant "jungle-in-a-box"! All labeled (thank you) and so securely packaged that not one leaf was damaged.

I am so pleased with this trade and with the lovely plants! (doing the happy dance here!)

Janet, thank you so much for your generousity. It is really wonderul to have a fellow-gardener's plants growing in one's garden. You think of that person every time you see the plants.

And Barbara, thank you for organizing this trade. You did a wonderful job!

(I'm just so tickled -- this made my day!)

Jean

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Did everyone get their packages out? If not and you are not going to be able to get it mailed in the next few days, please contact me at [email protected]
Barbara

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Countrybumpkin, all I know about the plumerias is don't over water and don't overfertilize. The pink one had started to callus so it shouldn't be hard to get to root. The Chinese banana is a musella lasiocarpa, I couldn't think of that when I was making the tag, lol, all I could remember was Chinese Banana. It will have yellow flowers. I'm glad you liked your box, I was trying to think of something you didn't already have.

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Jean,
I am so glad you are happy with your package!!!!!
I always like to send a box, as I would like to receive. Thanks to Barbara for doing such a great job setting this up!! She put us so close you got them in one day!!!
Impressed with the Post office, also ;o)
If you have any questions, feel free to email me anytime!!!
Happy Gardening!!
Janet

Decatur, IN(Zone 5a)

THANK YOU!!! 'eyes',
I received my package yesterday but hadn't had time to post I was busy potting up my,

*Tiger lilies- will these be ok in zone 5??
*Caladium 'White Christmas'- can't wait to see them grow up
*Caladium "Rosebud'- ditto
*Canna Red Futurity- thanks I didn't have this one
*Pink Crinium lily-I'm so excited to try, I have been wanting to

Gemila

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i sent mine but she hasent posted that she received it and i havent gotten one yet
moretz

Smithton, IL(Zone 6a)

Bward,

While I haven't received my package yet I don't have the words to tell you how much simple pleasure I have already received form this trade. I lived in the south for fourteen years and really didn't think I would miss it when I moved back home to the midwest. But I do, and this put a little 'southern magic' back in my life.

Thank you very much!

Bill

I got my package today from Shelly21
I got a beautiful pink anthurium(I've been eying those at Home Depot)
a purple passion vine and a small leafed jade that I had the perfect spot for. I was so tickled with my plants! Thank you so much Shelly.

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

My secret trade finally left this wet,slopping mud,wind,lots of frogs,Rain, more rain and finally sunshine yesterday!!! big state of Texas...LOL...

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Moodene send the sun our way, I'm tired of these rainy days too. We had 3 different storms yesterday. The sun tried to shine late yesterday evening but wasn't successful. You give me hope. Jenny

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

The rain is leaving gals..........back to the 90's!! Gemila, so happy you loved your plants. Tigers should be just fine in zone 5. Here is a pic of them.......and one below of the pink Crinium.

"eyes"

Thumbnail by eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Your Crinium.........

"eyes"

Thumbnail by eyesoftexas

You Texans that are tired of the rain, come south for the 4th, lol. No rain in our forecast!!!

Decatur, IN(Zone 5a)

THank you ''eyes'',
I really appreciate the photos. Ya know, I had seen the photos of other criniums on the web and like the flowers but hadn't actually seen a photo of the whole plant.

Well, I am even more excited. Short story; I was just in Weimar, Tx a few weeks ago. In several yards I noticed some plants just like the ones in your picture. I asked my MIL who is not a plant person and she said she sees them all the time and didn't know what their name was. She calls them common lilies because so many people have them. I tried asking another person what they were and pretty much got the same answer, "I don't know, some kind of lily". I had no idea they were criniums and am now even more excited that you were so thoughtful to send one. THANKS!!!

Gemila

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Oooh, I'm so excited about my plants. Thank you so much Charla (USMMOM)! This wonderful person gave me an Itsy Bitsy Hibiscus (red flowers that really draws hummers), Tropicana Canna (I've been wanting this one for quite awhile), Bengal Tiger Canna, a wonderful Rex Begonia (Seratipetala), a Bluebird Hibiscus, and (gasp!) a Butterfuly Brugmansia! I can't believe how wonderful all of these plants are. The only one I have is the Bengal Tiger, but who can have too many of that beautiful plant? Thank you, thank you, thank you! DG'ers are the best!

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh Pins What is a butterfly brug? I'm a newbie and that sounds very interesting. Jenny

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

WOW and double WOW! Thank you, Karen...you just THINK we have everything here and we don't!!! OMG...do you have anything left in your garden? Love Caladiums!, don't have those hibiscus nor the albutilon, nor the brugs, nor the musa, nor the dwarf hibiscus..will have to experiment with the Fushia...but a friend of mine can grow it up in Volcano where it is cooler.

Hardly weeds, Karen...beautiful and generous.

Mahalo nui loa!

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Sh1025, Brugmansia Butterfly is one of the most beautiful of all the brugs. You are indeed very lucky. It is a intense pink with long tendrils. Do a search on google - Brugmansia +Butterfly and you will see some photos.
Barbara

Biloxi, MS(Zone 8b)

Pins2006,
I am so glad that you liked your box of plants!!! This has really been so much fun and a great secret trade!
Charla

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Alohahoya
Thank goodness you liked the plants.I was sooo worried.

I've always had good luck with that fushcia,roots easy,likes shade,but can take the sun

I figured you guys all live in tropical gardens ...LOL

My son just got back from Hawaii,He was stationed there and then stayed their after he got out...
Do you think he sent me any plants....NOPE
But he was sure to tell me how wonderful they all were....

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Im glad they made it there Susie! I was worried with your heat there. I just wish I could have done more. I know they will flourish in your care!

Premont, TX(Zone 9b)

i sent mine but she hasent posted that she received it

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

I haven't received my package yet, but I have had so much fun
reading what everyone got. Thank you Barbara for doing this trade.
I have been adding to my want list as I have read and researched some of the plants some of you have received.

Patricia

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Crestedchik...everyone is happy and perky, still. Thank you so much!

Bill...I think your box went out missing an ID tag...I found it thismorning. The brug is a golden deep yellow with great growth habit and terrific scent.... I feel so inadequate after Karen's lovely package.

Smithton, IL(Zone 6a)

Alohahoya2000

I am abolutely certain that I will love your plants when they arrive. I enjoy brugs and have one just beginning to bloom now. We have had an unusally wet and moderate temp spring and early summer so all of my tropicals are a little slow this year.

Your plants are the real thing!! Tropical plants from the Tropics!!!

I can't wait.

Bill

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

I sent my surprise trade, priority mail, last Tuesday, and have yet to hear if the recepient has received it ....I'm getting worried with the holiday and all.....I'd hate to think those babies were sitting in a post office somewhere...argh! Debra~

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

Yipee! I got my secret trade box from Melissa Moretz...I got:
Bloond Banana
Dutchman pipe vine
Jungle Gold Impatience plant
Thank you , Nadine Milburn

Smithton, IL(Zone 6a)

Tropicals from the real Tropics. How cool is that? Got my secret trader box from Alohahoya 2000 yesterday.

Plumeria cv Kimo
Plumeria cv Granny Moragne
Plumeria cv Hawaiian Rainbow
Yellow Brugsmania

I have wanted to get started with plumerias and now I have a jump start. Might be making my own leis soon.

Thanks very much Carol.

Bill

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

I recieved a great package from pins2006 yesterday. Everything was is great shape. I recieved:
Peruvian dafodill
canna begal tiger
white ginger
purple loiusianna iris
white siberian iris
Thank you so much
Thank you so much Carmen for the plants and Barbara for hosting.

Dott

Smithton, IL(Zone 6a)

Yes Barbara,

Thanks very much for hosting this trade. I am a new member to DG and while I have actively traded in the past this is my first 'secret trade' and it was a blast.

Bill

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

I received a wonderful box of plants from Brinda yesterday. It included

Alocaisa 'Hillo Beauty'
colocasia 'Illustrius'
Brugmansia 'Antique Lace'
Caladium Bulbs
Tropicana Canna
and Coleus

Thank you Brinda for your geneosity. All the plants are potted up and looking good this morning.

Patricia

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Aw, darn! Missed out on this one! (Just subscribed 2 days ago!)

Sounds like fun, and I'll look forward to the next one!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

You're most welcome Patricia.....I hope they all grow well for you! And I know they will, I have zone envy!!!

emh48....I haven't posted here yet, even though I sent you a thank you via email! Your box of goodies was just wonderful. I'm so excited about the Hoya and the Christmas Cactus....those are 2 plants I've never had before. Thanks again for everything....they are all looking great!

And Barb....thanks so much for doing this. It was fun!

Decatur, IN(Zone 6a)

Wow I got my secret plant trade on friday and it is fantastic...but the return address sticker is stamped over and can not read, I believe the postage stamp says deve?, TX....here is what I got and it was in fantastic shape...and now in the ground here in Indiana...LOL
4 Taro-Illustric, Green, chinese. burgundy stemed
1 Velvet Bean Vine
1 Cana-red flower
3 Ginger-Cinnamon, Shell, Red Stemed
what a great suprise....
who ever it is from, Thank you so very much, this Indiana soil is very grateful to get its first plants from Texas...
I sent my secret plant trade out last thursday, sorry to my receipient, she should get it monday.....I put extra in it to make up for the delay....
Lynette

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.