This time I'm looking for different types of sunflower seeds (Teddy Bear, short, tall, yellow, red, etc.). They are to be sown in August, so that gives us approx. 1 1/2 months to fulfil this trade. Multiple trades would be great.
This is what I have to trade:
Botanical name, common name, colour of the flowers, amount of seeds per trade
Chilean native plants:
* Alonsoa meridionalis (Maske Flower) scarlet/orange (100 seeds) P
* Alstroemeria ligtu ssp simsii, orange (30 seeds) P
* Alstroemeria mix of low-growing species from the Andes Mts., whitish, pink & mauve shades (30 seeds) HP
* Argemone hunnemannii (Chilean Prickly Poppy) creamish white (50 seeds) P OUT. Please ask for these seeds in January.
* Calandrinia grandiflora, succulent with great magenta flowers (30+ seeds) P
* Calceolaria biflora, gold-yellow flowers on red stems (app. 100 seeds) P
* Cassia multiglandulosa (syn. Senna multiglandulosa), lovely shrub with clusters of golden-yellow flowers (30 seeds) P
* Cistanthe amarantoides, succulent groundcover for dry spots, magenta flowers (30 seeds) P
* Conanthera trimaculata, exotic indigo blue bell-shaped flower with a black eye; on three of its 6 petals (30 seeds) P
* Desfontainea spinosa, beautiful shrub from our rain-forests; looks much like Ilex but has much prettier flowers (15 seeds) P
* Eccremocarpus scaber / Chilean Glory vine (100 seeds) P
* Fortunatia biflora, star-shaped white flowers with a green stripe (30 seeds) P
* Olsynium junceum (syn. Sisyrinchium junceum), delicate white, pink or lilac flowers (20 seeds)
* Philippiamra celosioides (from the Atacama desert), succulet with magenta flowers (30 seeds)
* Phycella ignea (red) & Phycella bicolor (red & yellow) mix, pretty bulb plant with trumpet shaped flowers (30 seeds) P
* Rhodophiala rhodolirion, bulb plant with either white or pink flowers with red dots or stripes (30 seeds) Pb
* Schizanthus coccineus (Poor Man's Orchid) a VERY RARE Chilean native beauty from the Andes Mountains, red and yellow (30 seeds) A
* Schizanthus hookerii (Poor Man's Orchid), mauve (30 seeds) A
* Sisyrinchium striatum, purple veined yellow flowers (50 seeds) P
* Stachys philippiana & S. gilliesii mix, pink flowers (20 seeds) P
CHILEAN NATIVE TREES:
* Embothrium coccineum (Chilean Fire Tree), small tree, can be grown as shrub, red flowers (12 seeds)
e-mail me for a list with germinating/growing tips for the above Chilean Native seeds. This list includes pictures (links).
Annuals, perennials and shrubs:
* Aloe (probably aristata), pretty succulent (30 seeds) P
* Aptenia cordifolia / mini Ice Plant, great as ground-cover or cascading plant (50 seeds) P
* Campanula takesimana, very soft pink and white flowers (50+ seeds) P
* Campanula takesimana Elizabeth, burgundy flowers (50+ seeds) P
* Canna edulis, red flowers (smaller than C. indica) (12 seeds) P
* Cynara cardunculus (Cardoon) neon-blue flowers (30 seeds) P
* Geranium pyrenaicum Album, fast growing plant with masses of small white flowers (50 seeds) P
* Geranium pyrenaicum Bill Wallis, fast growing plant with small purple flowers for a long period (20 seeds) P
* Mirabilis jalapa / 4 O'clocks, beautiful bright broken colours (15 seeds) P
* Phacelia campanularia (California Bluebell), blue (30 seeds) A
All my seeds are fresh (remember we have the opposite season in the southern hemisphere), no left-overs from other traders nor from previous years. Open pollinated.
Other Seeds I am looking for:
* Lady Slippers (Cypripedium species), any colour or sp.
* Clematis, FRESH SEEDS ONLY, PLEASE, of all species and varieties I don't have
* Azorina vidallii (syn. Campanula vidallii)
* Zantedeschia "Green Godess" (Calla Lily)
* Anything unusual
I mail my seeds either in padded envelopes or in non-tearable envelopes generously protected with bubble-wrap. Before putting the seed in their individual baggies I wrap them in aluminum foil in order to avoid all the rattle and shuttle, thus unnecessarily calling for some authority's attention. This does not apply to 'soft' seeds such as Clematis, etc. I kindly ask my traders to do the same and make sure the mailer is as even as possible. Otherwise, seeds coming in to Chile will be confiscated and burnt. If you have to use the green customs sticker, please DO NOT mention seeds ("collectibles" will be fine). Thanks.
I take pride in sending very clean seeds. No dirt, no chaff. Please do the same for me.
NOTE: I only trade with Dave's Garden subscribers!
This message was edited Jul 31, 2004 11:25 PM
Looking for Sunflower seeds
Ursula, I have sunflowers just getting ready to bloom as I had thrown out a handful of mixed wildflower seed. I will take digital pics when they open and if they are what you want, I will try to save the seed. I would be very interested in native plants of your area, particularly small trees or orchid trees. I am too new to have much for trade so hoping the sunflowers will be something good. How long I wonder will it take for them to "set their seed", not sure about the correct terminology.
In response to our email I would like to have the maske flower and Schizanthus cocoineus.
faronell, please e-mail me so I can send you a Word document with germinating/growing tips and links for pictures of my native seeds that will make your choice easier.
Remind me in Janaruay if you want to have Bauhinia candicans (white orchid tree) seeds.
I really don't know how long it will take for your seeds to ripen, but I would not think they will make it for this year's sowing. However, since I also want to sow sunflowers next year and 'newbies' need a start, I will trade for your sunflower seeds whenever they ripen. When I first started trading (back in 1998), all I had was Asarina scandens seeds. Lucky me, many people seemed to want them and sent me extra seeds to make my start. Trading seeds is great fun!
Beautiful, Bill. Yes, yes, I want to have these seeds LOL.
E-mail me so I can send you a Word document with germinating/growing tips and links for pictures of my native seeds that will make your choice easier.
hello ursula.. let me do some seed searching and ill send a few types of sunflower seeds in the next week or so...
you can suprise me with a few pinches of seeds in return..
send me your address..
po box 3745
granada hills, ca 91344
Bill THAT WAS GORGEOUS! have any extras? How tall do they get?
Did I mention I want to trade for LOTS of different types sunflower seeds?
This message was edited Jun 29, 2004 3:20 PM
Karrie, I will have some in a couple of weeks, they just started to bloom about a week ago. They are about 4 feet right now I am not sure how tall they will get. They do have more than one flower on the plants. I tried to count them on one plant, I stopped at 40.
I have store bought packages of Fantasia, Monet's Pallette, Sungold, Mammoth Russian, and Dwarf Holiday if you are interested in any of those.
Bill, Also interested in a few of your Awesome Sunflower seed if possible. Let us know...Thanks
i do not know any your flowers but sound wonderful, i have lots different sunf. seeds monday i can send you full list or later this night , need to lug some clothes to laundromat and sure hate that.. so.... sounds like you have such beautiful colors fancy flowers to.. trying to get interested things .. blessings Twyla..my 10 yr. old gd wants things from other countries she says cool.... thanks i will let you know what i have..
I went to mail my package to you today but they wanted me to list what it contained. ???? I don't want to have the seeds confiscated or do something illegal so how do I go about this. Please let me know so I can get those off to you. They are in a padded 5x7 envelope so you can tell it's more then just a letter.
Jan, did you carefully read my request on how to mail the seeds (large paragraph third from bottom to top of the original thread) and follow the instructions?
I also should have some storebought envelopes of Sunflowers.
Would love to trade for
Eccremocarpus scaber - chilean Glory vine
Campanula takesimana Elizabeth
Could you please let me know if you are willing to trade ?
I also wrote you already twice to your email in the last month but did not get a reply so I am wondering if you received my emails?
I replied to an e-mail I received last week I think, saying I never saw the first one (could be that Yahoo classified it as spam). I will e-mail you my other e-mail address.
Yes, I read your instructions carefully so that the seeds were well protected but I missed the part about the customs declaration. I will mail that off today. Thanks for the clarification.
Ursula, I could probably send you some clematis tanguica from this season, maybe some clematis alpina(might have to wait just a bit on that) and some sunflowers. I will email you and you can send me your address again.
I must apologize with all my traders. Due to a very painful crisis of my arthrose I have not been able to mail the seeds I promised and will probably not be able to mail them out this week either. Please be patient. I will send them as soon as possible and let you know when this occurs.
Thanks for understanding,
I have looked for my 5 Sunflower Seed Packets to no avail.....found out that my husband gave them away since we are not going to "plant them anyway "......little does he know about us traders ,right ?
We just have to trade some other time :-),
so sorry to hear you are not feeling up to par but no problem with the seeds. Don't worry your little heart about it. I sent yours out yesterday. they went first class as priority was way too expensive. So they will probably take awhile to get to you. I sents several different varieties so you can decide what you want to use. Take care of yourself first.
I am new to this forum, but have some sunflower seeds that are certified organic. I don't know what to get in return, as I am in an unusual climate zone 6/7, freezes 4/20 & 10/20. I have these seeds: Russian Mammoth, Jerusalem Sunrise, Mexican. Later in the year, I will have Tiger's Eye Mix. I will look your list over again, and look forward to hearing from you when you are feeling up to it...
The Cal Bluebell and the 4 O'Clocks would suit me fine, please let me know which sunflowers you would like, or I can split up the packets and send some of all. They are new, purchased to plant for this season. Thank You :)
This message was edited Jun 29, 2004 7:30 PM
Bill, when you have some seed, I would love to trade something for some of your Gorgeous Sunflowers. Do you know what they are called?
Glad you received the seeds safe and sound. I hope they do well for you....
Thank you so much for all the seeds. your generosity is overwhelming.
I hope you get lots of sunflowers from all the seeds you have received.
I'm very pleased you like the seeds I sent you.
Seeds will be sown mid August and I'm already dreaming about a Sunflower jungle LOL.
I received my seeds today. Thank you very much. I enjoyed trading with you.
thanks for letting me know. I enjoyed trading with you as well and look forward to do it again.
Ursala, I didn't realize how [deleted] my other picture was...LOL.. Let me see if I can find another one..I also have safflowers..autumn beauties...One of my favorites. Last year I got 50 sunflowers on one plant! I also have some dwarfs..I'm the sunflower lady...So I'll just see what I can find you :-D
This message was edited Jul 31, 2004 10:56 PM
WOW, they are beautiful!
Kim, could you send me a list with the varieties you have, so we can trade for the ones I do not have yet?
Do you know if there is a perennial Sunflower?
Yes there are several perrennial sunflowers.. One off hand is...Helianthus maximilianii. Which I'm out of those seeds. But I'm sure I can find you some. I will get a list of my sunflowers and send tomorrow..I have to head to bed. Some I only have 4-5 seeds of. But I'll get you the list by morning. Thanks! Also this will give me time to look through the seeds you listed.
Ursala, I just aquired 2 types of perennial sunflower seeds..Let me know if I should put some aside for you?? :-D