(Echinocereus subinermis subsp. subinermis)

Tokyo, Japan

Echinocereus subinermis subsp. subinermis

Flower detail.

Thumbnail by Lophophora
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

This is a cactus? Blooms make one think of a poppy, but the color for a poppy would be unusual; that is the bright clear yellow.

Tokyo, Japan

Hi Lenjo -

Yes indeed, it is a cactus. Here's another pic:
http://davesgarden.com/fp.php?pid=934636

The picture above was taken towards sundown, inside, with natural light from a south window only, reflected into the bloom with a sheet of aluminum foil. The linked picture was taken in full studio setup using 100V PRS500WD (Daylight) Spots (5900K) with a 35mm Hoya W2 filter held onto my digicam lens with duct tape.

;)

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

When mine bloomed I made everyone around see it. It's extremely bright yellow flowers are a show stopper, I've had this plant now for about 8 years, and it's the first time it bloomed, 3 flowers, must love it's new location, morning shade, afternoon part sun.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Hanna, I was through Castro Valley last fall. All those big electricity generators using the wind mills was fascinating to see.
Is there any special trick to getting cacti to bloom?Beautiful photo there in your link, Lophophora.

Thanks for your compliment Lenjo, well for my cactus, I just moved it from a very hot sunny location to morning shade, some afternoon sun, they all seems to really be healthier there, and much less care. I'll have to take a photo of it to show

Tokyo, Japan

Lenjo - there is no specific trick to getting most globular cacti to bloom other than good culture, but there is a trick to *keeping* them from blooming: it's said that they hate disturbance - so turning the pot even a few degrees away from the accustomed light orientation in the early stages of flower production is enough to cause the plant to abort.
At least that's what I've read in several sources - I'm too terrified to try it myself...

;)

I'm not sure about that, since it bloomed within 2 weeks of my moving mine to a shadier spot.

Tokyo, Japan

Hehe... ok.

So much for second-hand info...

Thanks Hanna!

;)

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

I even repot some of my cacti while budding and they still bloom. Here's cutting of a Trichocereus that I rooted 6 weeks ago while the buds were only 1/2" across. Now it's in full bloom and rooted. I guess it depends on the species.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover

Wow, that's lovely, and 4 flowers to boot, just beautiful, thanks for the posting!

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Anytime, Annie. And thank you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images