Aquilegia Hybrid, Columbine, European Columbine, European Crowsfoot, Granny's Bonnets 'Mixed Hybrids' (Aquilegia vulgaris)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Aquilegia Hybrid, Columbine, European Columbine, European Crowsfoot, Granny's Bonnets 'Mixed Hybrids'
Aquilegia vulgaris

2nd Year Clematis Columbine. Seward, Alaska. Late June 2004.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, this is really different than I ever seen before. The foliage at least what I thought was its foliage on the enlargement doesn't look like columbine. And what a clear pretty pink. Did you grow this from seed, Weezie?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'm afraid the foliage you are seeing is what remains of a jonquil! LOL! The stem of this columbine is pretty long, so the foliage was not visible in the close-up. I'll post a photo that shows it in its entirity. I believe these are seeds that Psilo sent me and I planted in 2003. I much prefer these to the Barlows. They seem more graceful. Actually, they remind me of a Barlow that doesn't have double petals. They seem to have the same growth habit, as well.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

That is very interesting, I kinda like the barlows myself too.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Here is another that is similar in color, but has a picote edging of white.

Cambridge, MA

I'm so glad to find your photo of this columbine! I just found one growing in my garden, and had never seen one like it. Here is a photo of it:

Thumbnail by amymel
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

what a beauty, Amy! I love the way the clematis columbine nod from the stem.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.