Meet Kong,

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

King of Coleus! It's bold! It's HUGE! it would make Fay Ray scream even louder!! Pictures do not do this plant justice. This one is Kong Mosaic

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

and another..I think I'm in love..lol

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

this one is called Kong Scarlet, been a long time since I've been this excited about a plant..well, at least a week or so..heh,heh

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

this one is Kong Red

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow!! That last one looks fake!! I am going to use it as Wallpaper! How big is Kong?? will you give us a pic with your hand by it?? Please??

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I like the kong red!!!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Root,

as per your request, but not with my hand..(i have small ones) I put a $ bill and scanned it.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Holy Cow!!! I love the colors and that size is incredible!!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

check out this leaf!

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

this one too! both are Kong Mosaic

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Beautiful and Huge!!! I am loving my Wallpaper,your pictures are so clear!

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

So when do we trade cuttings??? LOL

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow .. that is beautiful.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

So JML, you WILL be participating in the Foliage Plant Trade, right? Right? (nod your head obediently)

Where did you get these? Seeds, plants, what??? They are even bigger than the Exhibition mix from Parks! I must have them or die!!!!

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

Lisa, this Kong is inKredible! Never heard of it before, so I did a Google and found out it is brand new. Here's what I found:
http://msucares.com/news/print/sgnews/sg04/sg040429.html
Did you find this at your garden center? I'm quite sure we don't have it yet, cause I always look at the coleus available when I shop. I would certainly have noticed Kong!

Nice find, Lisa. Start your cuttings now, and you will be the most popular trade partner.

Pen

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I am in awe! What could I do to entice you to send/trade cuttings?....like everyone else!!! We have NOthing like those overhere... Need I book a flight to get a Kong family collection.?

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

no, I need to book a flight there and hand deliver .... ;0)

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Lisa, just wanted to remind you we share a state! Hometown loyalty and all that...Just come take what you want...I lay my garden open to your trowel! Do I have to beg? OK! (groveling on berber carpet in front of computer)

Now (picking berber fibers from nose), tell us where YOU special person got these.....? Sneaking into secret labs at night, are you? I checked out the article Aloha found - is it true that they can't take sun???

Aloha - if I get some, (WHICH I WILL! SOMEHOW, SOMEWHERE! gritting teeth in determination) I will send you cuttings in gratitude for your advice on medinilla. Mine is still alive after one week in my care, and my first cutting looks, well, bad...but I can't wait to try sprouting the seeds!

Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Lisa, where did you find these?

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Yay for you Lisa !!!!
I understood that 'Kong" wasn't to be available until 2005.

Lucky You =)

Guess I should have gotten more than one Nursery's opinion =(

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Scooter, uh, in case you didn't know, Lisa is actually a secret plant agent (SPA) - lockpick in her garden clogs, trowel actually a satellite relay, all that stuff. Highly classified government position. Everyone knows Thibodaux is a hotbed of secret government activity. All that crawfishing is just a cover.

Lisa I think you may as well just start an auction and let us bid ourselves to death. Otherwise we'll be shamelessly sucking up to you till 2005.

;)

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

(justmeLisa basks in all the sucking up, no one sucks up to me anymore..LOL!)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

So....THAT's the noise I can here all the way out here!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Lisa, they are gorgeous. I bought a few new ones this year and Kyle brought me about 35 more, so I have quite a collection, but I'd sure like to add one or two of those to them. Just gorgeous.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Lisa, they are just great! I will be on the lookout for them next year!!!

(Zone 9b)

Something new to really look forward to! I just love coleus!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

psst, delphiniumdiva, pluck those fibers outta your nose, it is not very becoming...kinda looks like a moosetache ;0)

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

oh Lisa remember me. lol I would love some cuttings when you have them please........!!!!

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

Where on earth did you find a coleus so big??!! and beautiful! I love the Kong Red, but would never turn away from any of the others...ok...do tell.... where did you heist those!?? Debra~

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I had to come back and look again. I think you could easily trade cuttings of those for some great stuff. After spending some time searching, I can see they are not readily available this year. I wonder if they would come true from seed.

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

I just read that Kong likes temp 70-75 degrees. Looks like this one is a house plant. Lisa, did you plant yours outdoors? If so, please let us know how it takes the LA heat.

Pen

(Zone 9b)

Oh shoot, my temps are low esp at night when it is in the 50s.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Brugie I've surfed high and low too and can't find em either. Look like they are seriously new - which makes it all the more suspicious that Lisa in Thibodaux - not exactly the cutting edge of horticultural trends, (no offense, neither are we :)) has them...notice how she carefully avoids any mention of her source...skillfully redirecting the conversation to the berber carpet in my nose (now removed - thank you)

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

okay, okay, enough already! :-)

now that I've blown my cover of SPA by posting these pics...and have to listen the put down of "Lisa in Thibodaux - not exactly the cutting edge of horticultural trends"....huhrumpth...city folks think us simple country folks can't be up on things..... oh, by the way, I don't garden in clogs, it is hip boots...(remember the Saints Football team used to train in Thibodaux, but left because they couldn't handle the rain, 'skeets or the heat..whimps I tell you)

Now, drum roll... here is my connection....in my high tech Thibodaux lab, I carefully tore up chunks of construction paper, along with fine crepe paper...then leaves from my other Coleus..yeah, thats it..leaves from my other Coleus, put them in a blender, than added some glue....now, with careful light manipulation....

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Touche' I am struck! Stabbed to the heart - call the priest, call the lawyer! Those Thibodaux gals are not to be messed with! Guess we'll just have to wait...true about the Saints though. Just couldn't hack it down'eh in cajun'lan cher.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

hehe, you are a good sport friend!

The truth is this...my husband and I own a landscaping business. So, in sorts, we are pretty "up on the trends" I suppose.(we get all the newest horticulture news from the big companies like Ball Seed)I also have an account with Ball Seed, I can order plugs. I sell plants at the Farmers Market here in Thibodaux..can you believe I took my Kongs to the market and sold NOT A ONE! cheap price too, 3.00 for 4 inch pots.

Also, one of our wholesale dealers just introduced Kong this week. I will contact them tomorrow for you New Orleans area folks and find out what stores are carrying them. The growers will let me know.

They are shade lovers and I wish so much they weren't. There also is a new "Lava" series of Coleus out, but not as impressive as Kong.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Oh girl you are in BIG I mean BIG trouble now. You have an account with Ball??? You are at the FM in Thib??? Oh my... Thibodaux is only a bit over an hour from here you know! WHEN and WHERE is that FM exactly? I can promise you won't have any trouble selling those $3 Kongs anymore!

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

http://ballseed.com/Media/Culture/PAS/ColeusKong.pdf

Read the section on Growing On. Is it referring to soil temp or air temp? Is there usually a difference and, if so, how much? Kell, note that night temps are in 60's. You might be OK.

Pen

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

I saw this plant at the trial garden at UF... and it is every much as gorgeous as your pictures Lisa.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hey...JML...how 'bout us folks living on these volcanos in the middle of the Pacific Ocean...like...we can't just up and toddle off to Ball Nursery, now, can we? Connections? I do have a nursery license, so I spose I qualify...would they sell to me...seeds would be OK. We are having a Master Gardener Plant Sale in November and I would LOVE to introduce KONG...Coleus are big here... Pleeeeeze.?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.