Need help with color scheme for outside of house....

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I need to come up with something other than this color that the seller threw on the house to cover up damage done by trees growing against the house.

The orange-ish brick is common here for a 1950's home. My hubby is going to be putting a new, darker colored roof on this weekend. A couple years down the road we want to re-side it with (horizontal) vinyl siding so I need to come up with a color scheme that'll help me determine what color gutters to put on when he puts the roof on. We will also eventually put siding on the large planter that is losing its bricks.

Would you go with a darker color siding, or something lighter? I'd like to eventually put shutters on also for contrast. This is a work in progress, a home we purchased to put sweat equity into & rent to our daughter for now and sell later to hopefully make a few $$ to help the other daughter repay some college loans.

Any ideas appreciated. Anyone have a orange-ish brick home with contrasting siding that you could post a pic of?

Thanks!

Sandy

Thumbnail by Seedsower
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

What colors are you both partial to? What colors dominate in clothes closet? You don't want to do anything too radical since you're wanting to sell it eventually. I'm partial to pale yellow, myself.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I forgot to mention, Behr has a wonderful interactive site which lets you see what different color combinations look like. You need to be able to view Macromedia Flash content, and the player is free if you need it. Behr's interactive stuff is here: http://www.behr.com/behrx/workbook/index.jsp

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Just threw this together, to give you an idea:

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

I LOVE that Behr site.....it's so cool...

SE Arky, United States(Zone 8a)

Seedsower, sorry I'm so late, but this is a s-l-o-w forum, or am I missing something?? Whatever, I like the house, it has lots of promise. If i were you (without seeing any more than one small pic) I would spray paint the bricks the color of the siding(?) on the room with the fire place. I really like the stone and the stone fire place is a big plus. After the bricks are painted (one coat, thick, cheap latex (ONLY), it will last forever) you should select a color for the wood(?) windows, on the brick end, that will coordinate with the taupe, maybe a cottage cheese. Show me the whole house and if you have already completed the job, I'd love to see it...

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I think you should keep the siding the same brightness (not lighter or darker) but use a grayish green, with the trim and future shutters a darker (or lighter) shade of grayish green. What is really popular around here is to paint the body of the house a medium shade of cream, with light cream trim. That would probably work on your house, too. In my opinion, brick and natural stone should never, ever be painted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.