You might be a Garden Nerd if........

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Thats a good G/N indicator. Too bad the catalogs are kind of like toy catalogs, the product might not do everything it appears to.
About that shade, well that sounds like Hosta Heaven right there in Virginia.

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

So what does putting newspaper around the rose bushes do? That's a new one for me.

It's a basis for weed control. Best done when planting. and on top of any grass, or other invader you dont want. I actually said that as a complement to peterson89, who has obviously been able to raise roses for much longer than me.
The method is called lasagne, like the pasta dish. A layer of wet newspapers is the noodle. then layer on accoeding to what you want to grow.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What a fun thread! I'm relating. You're a plant nerd when you'd rather shop for plants on the net than eat dinner.

When you know the local nursery folk - and the mailorder ones too by their first name.

When you will spend your life savings on "Sluggo". Peterson, I bet you can relate. Our California Escargot are voracious!

When you order 100 Iris and 30 Dahlias in one year (blush)

When you sneak into the front yard in your pajamas without your robe to find out if that reblooming iris opened up so you can smell it.

When you get toy dogs so they run around the Mondo Grass instead of getting big dogs who might end digging it up!

And love the dirt! clay "R" us in CA.

Country Gardens - if your biggest job is weeding - who takes care of that gorgeous greenhouse?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't weed very often. I think I hit the flower bed 3X this summer.
That greenhouse picture was just things that were left towards the end of the season. Go to my member page & scan through my threads, you will find lots of pictures of our greenhouses.
Our Sam's Club discounted all their fall planted bulbs. I bought to many, they were only $6.80 a box. Box had like 80 tulips or 70 daffidols. 8 Bearded Iris to a box. Bought 2 boxes. Now I need to find place for them. The tulips & daffidols we are going to use in pots for forcing.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

And these pots are?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Acres and acres of baby plants. How lovely! Thanks CountryGardens.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hostas in the big pots, various perennials behind them.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

you know my feeble mind is not working too well right now, and yes, at one time I used to grow almost 400 roses [ adored the old antique ones tho] At one time knew every trick in the trade about growing roses, and if my memory serves me correctly as well as helping the weed problem, as the newspaper breaks down there is something in it that feeds the roses and plants and causes them to thrive..[it becomes a mulch] and it must have something to do with the wood [paper products] like ashes from wood stove being very beneficial for berries...etc., as long as you only use the black printed not color..
I do not retain much these days...its use it or lose it...I guess I'm loosing...:((

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

ps Doss I do not know what happened to all our snails...we are very dry and hot out here but I think possibly not having grass to water has made the difference...so our yard does not get watered as much [ and we use lots of mulch..]plus our trees [ ie pine and cedars] drop a lot of needles, so possibly that keeps the snails at bay..not happy campers in our yard...they 've gone searching for new pastures...:)

Oh thank you peterson, I'm glad you are here. Anymore secrets to your rose growing will be soaked up by us less experienced Garden nerds. Thanks Sidney

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi! peterson. It IS hot and dry in El Cajon. I have a tiny piece of grass but my neighbors yard is full of ivy. Actually I'd rather go with the snails than the Norweigan Roof Rats we get from there. Also I irrigate. I must admit that in this arid climate I love to grow Hostas, Dahlias, Tomatoes. Next year the watering will be a lot less because all (or most ) of the plants will have been in a year. You know - the "established plants" I do have a dry creek around the front of the house with grasses, lavender, Iris - low water tolerant plants. And the front of the house is huge. Well, maybe not huge by most standards. We have 26 feet to the sidewalk and it goes down both sides of the corner of our 1/2 acre lot. It's good though. Let's me see the neighbors. I Think though I have been diligent enough this year that things should be better next year. And I could always go back to eating them with garlic butter. Snail holders anyone?

And do snails love to hide under newspaper? I'd love to know.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Sidney, will really be putting my thinking cap on again, what comes to mind is the normal types of manure [ aged and organic if poss.] Epsom salts is great..a bonus..blood meal, bone meal, manure 'tea', alfalfa either loose or cubed...I found this year that our grandaughters bunnies [their aged "do do" ] has done wonders for our fruit trees too...got several huge bags of it...has made me almost want to buy a few bunnies myself...fish emulsion, and a good quality rose food..also plenty of water and good drainage and mulch..will mull over this again, see if I can remember some extras...:)
marion

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Doss, the newspaper has to be covered up wih the dirt, so it is not seen this is how it becomes such good mulch [ and holds the moisture too]...you are cooler than we are..I have tried your flowers [and love them] but they really do not work for me.. in San Diego, yes but down town is a lot cooler [ like 25 degrees or so]...they also do not get our hot sun, have heard tho that the people who grow the tropicals cannot grow in San Diego, so the real garden nerds like us have to move inland to grow them....this is my only consolation, because after years of trying to grow my ''English garden'' type of flowers and blooms..I finally had to give up..the heat is too much for them, and the sun fades them..my gorgeous roses which start off so lovely in the Springtime turn to parchment after less than an hour in our heat..so I enjoy them as long as I can and then just leave them to rest..all summer..usually get a few blooms in the fall or early winter...My species roses right now are filled with the brightest red rose hips..they are great for teas, and I used to make rose hip jelly most years but have not done in recent years as my health was not good..they sure look inviting tho, makes me want to get those jars out and start picking... :))

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Peterson, I know that you are in that hot hot California valley. I come from a little town next about 15 min south of LAX. My Dad was born in Brawley and the family grew dates. Now if you love climbing 120 foot date palms......

Are you at least out of the Caleche soil (if you can call it soil)? I know that the zone thing doesn't really work for me because it gets too hot for things I should be able to grow here. Like Allium?????

Here is a shade garden under redwood trees. I know I'm lucky.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is the part of the dry creek garden:

Oh and yes, I watch A Gardener's Diary every day sugarweed. wouldn't miss it. I put it on the replay TV so I don't always have to get up at the crack of dawn. 6:00 am here!

Thumbnail by doss

Doss, with that garden I will probably be seeing Erica in your garden any day now. Tthat dry creek garden is to die for.
I also like Secret Gardens on Sunday nights. These are my very favorites.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

my oh my that dry creek garden surely is pretty, even in our shade I cannot grow the ferns...I gave up this year on our clematis when in April our temps went over l00 degrees and everything shrivelled..if they come back will be on their terms, I cannot fuss over them any more takes us too much time...Am really wondering how my stephanotis will behave outside this winter ? I had read re; a description from some expert that it should do well outside, however I did get a scolding from someone [ another garden nerd] when I mentioned it on another thread..I know they are very susceptible to frost but it was getting a bit much inside [to keep it from taking over some furniture] well, if it does not make it then I will just have to start again with another one...[ its amazing what we have planted outside and how they are thriving..they don't know they are fooling mother nature or the experts] !!
[ can you give me an idea of whereabouts you live in Ca]?

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Sugarweed we don't get ''Secret Gardens'' anymore, but Erika is still on...my Saturday morning routine really fell apart as they just seemed to drop some fine gardening programmes, I still miss the Victory Garden even when Marian Morash was getting a little tired out I always enjoyed the gardens and the chit chat..also the Brit [ forget his name right now] always had such interesting gardens around the globe, fabulous Irish ones..[ to die for]..He would give the introductions to the Chelsea Flower Show which was on our agenda before my health started heading down south [ Peter Seebring ?] anyhoo something to do with the sea I think !!!! I miss those !!

Good morning Peterson, First you got my curiosity up and Yahoo told me it was 530 mi from doss's Stanford to your El Cajon. Doss lives straight up the coast from you and I on the other hand, live 2330 miles almost due east of you. On the oppisite coast.
I will have to contact HGTV to see why they are depriveing you of Secret Garden out there. I have a spell with Clemantis too. Somewhere I read they dont like warm roots, so I try to plant plants that are full between the sunshine and the Clemantis roots. I have traveled in my work almost half my lifetime and cant resist a garden shop, thrift store, estate sale, or flea market anywhere. I find things to use in the garden at all of them. I have to remember things like Lilacs and Rhodies, many bulbs and other favorites of mine don't grow here because it just wont get cold enough. Thank so much for the lessons.

(Zone 4b)

Im not a garden nerd..... Im a hort geek!!!!!!!!!
Paid a kid a bunch of money last year to back hoe a lumpy field in to a flat room so I could build a massive potager with a little fountain pond in the middle. Lined it with espaleired apple trees and hand shoveled 9 pick up truckbeds of cow poop. I am a finatic!!!
Its still under construction but allowed me to go NUTS with perrennials, etc. expansion this year. The weeding isnt like it used to be!!!!!!!

gretagreta, That's Garden Nerd Suma Cum Laude!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Peterson, How did a rose loving person like you end up in Joshua tree land?

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Doss, surprisingly many years ago we had just purhased a lot in Del Mar [ overlooking the ocean..are you familiar with it ?] but my hubby was having major health problems with walking pneumonia and bronchitis..so the doc suggested some place with more heat inland [ and drier] everytime we got to the beach was damp and cloudy..so this is how we got to live here...I used to HATE it with a passion..but now that I am growing so many tropicals and folks are moving out here, selling up and re locating into the east county, I have reconciled to it..still complain mind you..but now also we have very large trees and lots of shade so it does not feel quite as hot as before [ in fact trees are giving too much shade]..lovely for my shade lovers but not for the fruit trees which need lots of sun and heat... so that is my little sad story as we had to give up our lot and I had my mind set on Del Mar..it is such a lovely place to live..but totally out of sight now because of real estate prices, which as you know have gone beserk here....[ have to remember that I could not grow my tropicals there so it all ends well [ I think ?] smile !!!
ps you would be amazed at how much punishment roses will take tho, and even tho I miss a real pretty rose garden I just make do with the time I have with them...Had so many old antique ones..just recently my hubby was showing me a new sprout growing on top of our rock pile [loads of boulders up there] where we have a lot of our climbers..I had a favourite old garden rose which I'd had for years, grown on its own roots..and it was one of the casualties when my hubby was ''looking after' things for me in the garden, well, being water starved it died..but the roots must still have been alive, after all of this recent rain it is regrowing again, and I just felt so blessed as I am not even sure I can order it again as this was about 25 years ago, and I had to wait for it from a nursery in Canada...it has the most gorgeous perfume and is a deep red...[ climber]..

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Sugarweed, true about the clematis they do like cool roots, so have to have plenty of mulch or other plants to shade them....Like you we are not cold enough either for lilacs etc, but we can go up into the nearby mountains to see them, [wonderful at the apple festivals in Julian] I guess we all just have to be content with what we have, this was one of the reasons I eventually changed as did not like the ''desert'' look [ or Joshua tree as Dosh mentioned] ..oh no !! but I do like some cactus and succulents mixed in along with the aloes etc., makes it so interesting and lots to chose from...even my cooking has now changed a lot [ and I love to cook] not as much as I used to but I still do as much as I can...it is just not exactly the way we planned to spend retirement as we had so much travelling planned..however my garden would not be as far along as it is..so I really do count my blessings, have exchanged one for the other in a way...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

gretagreta you are over the top. What are you planning to do with all those apples? I planted a "Liberty" last year and I love it espalliered. Things tend to get a little mildew on them because our weather changes so much from night to day, so I just take my little sprayer out and spritz them with non-toxic fungicide. I can reach them all. I'm going to put the fourth tier this year and then that's it I think. We'll see how it goes.

And Sugarweed, just so you know. El Cajon might as well be on the other side of the world from Stanford in terms of gardening. Unfortunately zones only go by temperature. 10b is not 10b is not 10b. First, El Cajon is quite close to the Mexican border. You have to think of it that way. Then in California we have coastal regions, mountainous regions, desert regions. Death Valley is right next to the tallest Sierras. In fact just in the San Francisco area we have 50 different microclimates. Erika tends to do programs in the south - well she just had one in Colorado that was very nice. Warm and wet is not too helpful in a hot arid area. But what she does is sure beautiful where ever it is. It would be nice if everybody had access to her lovely show.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry, (blush) forgot this was a joke forum. I did want to share with Clematis though. I have about 5 that have made it through this year. I've just added 5 new ones (5 to grow with roses and one to climb up the Magnolia 'Galaxy'. I am getting really addicted. Few people grow them here and I wonder why? I have a lovely one that has small pink scented flowers in the spring (can't remember it's name) winding underneath the edge of the porch roof. Put plant hooks into the beams and then I put those green metal plant stakes on them and the plants have taken off.

So no jokes today. Usually I'm pretty witty. Must be that root canal I have to have checked tomorrow. There's the joke. I'm about as funny as a root canal tonight.

Yes it would be nice if Erica reached all. I am amazed that people in WA state have the same Zone as N,Fla. I just try to put my plants where they are happy and will give a little nudge to some if I can.
Erica does shows all over, and she may be in a DG garden one of these days.

This message was edited Nov 11, 2004 10:41 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

sounds like fun, do you think it will come with the music?

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh am I supposed to be funny? everytime I have tried to pull someones leg I get told off in a sortoff good natured way [ I think?]
Must admit my humor is a little off the wall at times being a Brit...so I try to behave..well, as much as I can...I usually do see the funny side of things quite a lot....
Went thru jaw surgery [cavitation] recently so really sympathise with anyone going thru
root canals, had mine both taken out as they were infected..got to know a dentist who can do them properly..otherwise watch out !!!!!

Funny is only half of the forum and definately optional. I have learned alot on this thread, and laughed alot too.
Thanks to everybody who has participated. Siiiiidney

Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

Gee *innocent look* doesn't EVERYBODY do all of this?

Some of my personal favorites:

You might be a Garden Nerd if:

you are invited to a garden party and you are the only one wearing garden gloves and knee pads (well the invite did say it was a garden party!)

when in someone else's yard you just subconciously start pulling their weeds while chatting with them on the patio (this one drives my DIL nuts)

you explain the new bed your just prepped to the DH (or DW) as that much less grass he/she will have to mow.

Now for a little story. When we first bought this house (May 1997) I was between jobs (was doing contract work in those days). So, I spent the first summer redoing the back yard. When we bought it, it only had a very small cement slab patio. Put in some drainage (french drains), regraded a slope, expanded the patio to 4 times it's original size. By the time I had done all that, it just didn't seem as though the little bit of turf that was left was even worth hauling the lawnmower through the gate in the privacy fence so....you guessed it....I took out ALL of the grass and made raised beds all over the back yard. Now mind you I was doing all of this between June and September in Texas....110 in the shade....and I didn't even have a tiller. The tool that seemed to grow itself to my palms of my hands that summer was an old rusty pitchfork. And the tines kept bending in the hard clay and rocks. Having just bought the house, and with me temporairly out of work, we really couldn't affor a tiller. One day, (and it wasn't even a birthday or anniversary or anything) DH came home from work with a present for me. He had bought me this brand new shiny pitch fork that had this huge red ribbon tied to it. It was the most romantic thing....no way a box of chocolates or a dozen roses from the florist or jewelry from tiffanys could even come close to having the meaning that gift had for me. In fact he has never brought me flowers from the florist, but he often will often go out to the garden and cut our own roses or other cutting flowers in bloom, arrange them, and put them at my place at the dining room table. Isn't he just the most romantic guy?

I've told that story many times, but non Garden Nerds just don't get it. So my very favorite " you know you are a Garden Nerd if" is:

you find a pitchfork more romantic than a diamond ring.

btw....here is a photo of part of that back yard.

Thumbnail by PvillePlanter
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Pville... when ncgardenaddict came to help move some of my stuff last week, she came ON my birthday and brought me a bag of composted manure.

Who else but a Gardener would do that?

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww......what a great gift!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Thanks Pville, On my way to do the recheck of my root canal today - I needed a laugh, and a good excuse for spending money on the garden. "But dear, don't you see it will make your life so much easier?" (not that my DH works in the garden - but I'm in a better mood when I've been there!)

And the Pitchfork love story is one of the sweetest stories I have heard in a long time! Yes you have a darling DH. There are so really good love stories I am a big fan of hearing them.

Sweetest story
i'm looking for a man like that
NCG is a confirmed Garden Nerd.
Get good pain killer.

well ya can't have mine!.....I share....but only to a point! LOL

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Thats a lovely story Pville and who needs a diamond ring from Tiffanys [ you have one]...my hubby does his best, not exactly romantic but has learned to find a vase and put one cut rose in it [ being a fanatic about roses have to wait until he leaves to cut those below the water leaves off and pretty up the petals]..he just looks at it and tinks it happened by magic.....[smile]..
I also love the pic, just my cup of tea, I love natural and meandering..my hubby loves neat and tidy, so we do not always reach a compromise...but as I am supposed to be ''head gardener'' [ his description] I just tell him to leave it alone, and he obeys [ha]..well, sometimes..

My DH actually has quite a green thumb and has taught me a thing or dozens about gardening...expecially in Texas since he is a native. My intent for the back yard was to go for a sorta Texas version of a cottage garden. Sometimes people buy that and others it still makes a good reason for it ummmmm...looking pretty dang informal sometimes. EIther way.....that's my story and I'm stickin to it ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images