You might be a Garden Nerd if........

You're slippin sugarweed!

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Whow cannot believe all those glads, fabulous...thankyou gals, great to hear from you, and yes Bernie, what is wrong with some of these guys, my sons always are on my side and really take dad to task but makes no difference [ever] after 46 yrs [ married ] I give up !!!!!!!
[ It is all I spend the cash on anyways..] and you both have to be garden geeks to really appreciate how it takes over and obsession sets in ???? but I think it is not unhealthy to spend so much time really enjoying what makes us truly happy !!!! [ I point out I do not drink, smoke or gamble..right on Doss] nothing wrong with any of those if that is what people want to do...
However, he does not know the worst of it yet..on another thread Kelli was mentioning about the book on aloes [ Aloes of South Africa I think its called] so wouldn't you know being the garden geek or nerd or ?? that I am, I called and ordered it [ well, she did mention it as a nice Christmas gift] and they mailed it to me Sat. and it arrived today..so put that in your pipe and smoke it kiddo and a merry Christmas to me !!
what !!!!!!ps: more aloes on my list now...they are GORGEOUS...can you plant them gals ? [ I have some already but visions are in my head].....

(Zone 4b)

Whohooooooo! I traded some blackberries for an aloe from xenomorph this summer. The aloe was doing nicely til I let the frost get it!!!!! OOOps! Now its tiny and mad at me.....but alive.
Yes I want a second willow tree. !!! But am trying to be careful not to throw em near the well or septic. If I had my way there'd be even MORE willows! The one I got is only 8 ft tall but was only $17. I only have an acre and a half which seems weensy next to all those glads!!!!!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

greta, Is it a weeper or just a willow?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Bernie, your set up is fabulous. I should have known.
Country gardens, your inside plants look like they are good company.

I think that "nerd" is just showing my age. Always was a nerd. I think they are synonyms.

As far as planting on the roof. Anybody for some Japanese roof Iris? Don't have any but they are probably really fun.

(Zone 4b)

weepah as we say up heyah
I still like hort geek

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Greta, the Brits have some lovely orangeries and conservatories, but they have such miserable winters, [ and sometimes their summers aren't too hot either] this is the only way they have to grow some favourite plants, trees, flowers, fruit, etc., I have a sunroom/conservatory but really need twice as much room...when you do decide..go with the largest you can afford..really amazing how quickly they fill up...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Translation please. Mainese is just a little be beyond me. I got heyah but weepah is - well ????????????????

Quick, someone revive doss!

(Zone 4b)

weeper as in niobe weeping willow. heh heh heh
The conservatory will be many many years from now. Probably next house....... probably after raising two kids and then putting them through school. Some day! Im a good scavenger! Ill find one for FREEEEEEEE!

That's my kind of scavenger.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

willows won't grow at all well here, they just died on us [ well, got very pathetic] and roots must be very shallow..our sons willow [ weeping] fell over after a rain storm and he mentioned where he works the recent rain storms weakened those too...its not that they do not get enough water, I dont know what it it..I also had the corkscrew [ really interesting] Sir Harry Lauders walking stick, and the black one, I still love the pussies and would love to grow another but hardly seems worth it ..I wonder if it is our heat..they grow real nice in San Diego....[cooler]

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

ps I think I need reviving too..haven't a clue what you are talking about Greta, needs deciphering [smile] I will have to use some of those veddy British garden terms one of these days and keep you all guessing...:)) ? ps my son tells me that one of the large DiY stores is offering some ready to make conservatories...little mind is working as I need a greenhouse and think I can convert...any one ready to gamble with me...win or lose ?

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh ! Oh! Oh! i just got it WEEPAH is a weeping willow..right..give that girl a pat on the back....
revival time is over for a while....

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

whew!!!!!!! i can breathe again. that was a close one. you would have thought that petersons sons weepah had fallen on me.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

sorry Greta you already explained it...I am suffering from scant sleep, had very little with my kids here..Sat.night got to bed 3am, my oldest had to get to airport very early Sun morning so was up again at 5am to make his breaka, and spent the rest of the day almost passing out...I should join the nightowls as I do not sleep much, just walk around in a daze with my eyelids propped up with toothpicks...:((

(Zone 4b)

heh heh! its easy to cross post isnt it? But I dont have a real maine accent. Just like it bunches.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

fallen on both of us Doss ?

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Greta, what does ''just like it bunches mean'' ? :))

(Zone 4b)

I like it alot

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh! Oh! OH! again, do you mean like it all bunching up together ?????

(Zone 4b)

Have you ever notice that film actors are really terrible at Maine accents? Sheesh! Never seen a movie with a guy or gal who has a good yankee accent. They always sound like Irish on cat tranquilizers!

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Got it Got it [relief] need to spend some time in Texas

Sheww, sometimes you have to t y p e slow for me, but I think I got it now.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

you know we are overlapping each other and it is coming out funny...but yes, worse again is a Brit trying to speak with an American accent..they just don't have it..
[ not loose enough] but then all you need is somebody like Tony Curtis trying to speak with a Brit. accent..like an idiot with a mouth full of marshmallows...

(Zone 4b)

huh? Now Im not sure whose asking whom what....... anyways I better go to bed........ night nite.

Oh, but Cary Grant ..........................................

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Sugarweed, now we are overlapping...my crazy webtv is so darned slow takes for ever to do anything..amazing that the keys aren't worn out..or I still have my finger in place [ or its worn out too with constant jamming away at the keys].. has anyone talked about computor keyboard stress lately ha.....

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Nighty night Greta, we were having some dialogue..then sugarweed and I having some dialogue..glad I got that WEEPAH figured out tho..do they have a Texas dictionary anywhere ?? :))

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

is that [a] I like Cary Grant, or he stinks ??
me thinks I'v outlasted ya all,

It's like "Let my beating heart be still."

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

shame on me I thought he was an old cout [ is that spelling right ?]..give me Tom Selleck any day...now thats a ''he man'' [ think Cary was an old softie]

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Peterson, what do ya need a Texas dictionary for to learn to speak down east Maine?
Besides, having been in the area, tryin' to talk wit a fisherman as he stood on his dock with a tuna as big as a small whale hanging from his big ol' unloading hook. He coulda been speaking java-nese for all I could unnerstan him. His wife showed up and interpreted for us tho her accent was nearly at thick.
Now Bah Habah is a totally diff sort of accent, it's thick but is both understandable and easy to slip into if you stay around it for about a week or sso. We had friends in the Ellsworth area.

Just some observations from years of vacationing in the area. I loved Maine and became especially fond of the land fingers around the Bath area. Real friendly folk at the time. [20yrs ago now]

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

I HAVE OUTLASTED YOU ALL !!!!

Say Goodnite, it's 3:04 here hugs, Sidney

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

You missed mine just above yours. Goodnite, to.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Everyone keeps talking about Texas Blooms, and if I can remember correctly [?] I think Greta said she lived in Texas...of course I understand Maine, I watched ''Murder she wrote'' all those years didn't I and they all talked in a funny way but I understood them [ grin]...you know like the hollywoood types with a ''Maine ''accent...[like Tony Curtis pretending to be a Brit'']....same difference don't you think...now I am confused do you think I need a Maine dictionary or a Texas one ??

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Goodnite Sidney, sorry I missed you am still ''talking'' hugs back, sweet dreams, marion

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Well G2 lives in Hollis Center, Maine [hence the ME under her name]
And Sugarweed before she toddled off to bed was speaking pure Floridian. And though I live in Utah now, I hail from the backwoods and farm country areas of New York State originally.

And you're higher than SD and hotter? I'll never understand Califs weather/climate. Other than that for the most part it's either desert, or lush desert. And if somebody isn't watering it most of it isn't green. Or at least is green only seasonally. LOL ~Blooms

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Know how confusing it is...could not understand Sugarweeds zoning until she explained it to me [ we lived in Florida for 3 yrs..been in San Diego county for 40]..here is very unique..we have the ocean, the mountains the deserts, and then the foothills [ where we live which gives us a different climate] we can travel 30 mins on freeways and either end up in the mountains [east] orthe ocean [west]..go a little further then we have high desert [ where our kids live] then the desert floor, within minutes you can be back into the mountains...Mostly anyone can choose their own climate and where they want to live..I do not like the heat but had to move inland when my hubby was having health problems, prefer the beach's cooler temps..however since I changed my gardening over to the tropicals and semi tropicals, this has worked out well, as you cannot grow these in San Diego it seems, so the Rare Fruit growers are out here..[ or moving out]...I do love the hills and mountains, we are surrounded by hills, its really quite unique...and quite lovely, after our recent rains it really is a treat...hard to believe it was so parched and harder to believe this time last year those wildfires [infernos] had ravished most of the county...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images