can piping be the 3rd color?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I am in the middle of living room makeover. My 1944 cape cod living room/dining room is painted a soft yellow with white trim. White mantel and white 2" wooden blinds. My hardwood floors have been rescreened. My sofa is being reupholstered in a buttery yellow. The other colors I want in this scheme are a rasp/cranberry red, blue(sky) and of course the yellow. The sofa fabric is a chenille. I can not go that pricey w/ the other pieces so I am shopping at the Mill End Store in Portland, OR. So the selection is limited, as compared to shopping at the upholstery shop. I have a channel back chair and a chair that goes w/ the 1935 sofa to cover. I purchased a small check in sky blue & white for the channel back; 4 yrds upholstery chintz for $26. I have found a fabric for other chair that is my red w/ yellows and soft greens-florals- but no blue. I am wondering if I could pipe the red,yellow, green floral in the same blue as the chintz and pipe the blue chintz fabric in yellow or red and that way the blue would tie in or am I "forcing" the blue?

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

I think that sounds WONDERFUL - what a great idea! Post pics when you get done.....

I've actually seen this kind of thing done at shops around town and it's really cool. Pulls the fabrics together and the entire room.

Go for IT!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Go for it. Designers do it all the time and it works! Your color combination is scrumptous!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

OK I have now changed the arrangements of color. My colors are the same but the cranberry/raspberry red in a different fabric w/ yellow flowers and blue flowers will be my box pleated valances. My yellow sofa and a matching chair in soft yellow and blue and white check piped in blue and my channel back chair in a fabric that may be called a light (as in weight) brocade deep kinda shiny blue. An old fashioned chair w/ an old fashioned kind of fabric.
I am going to try for that red in a plain rug. I got all my upholstery weight fabric for my two chairs, my valances (5 windows) and kind of a tafeta plaid w/ my colors for my dining room chairs, (4)at the Mill End store $127.00. I purchased last week a piece of remnant carpet for my dining room for $68 and they bind it, all sizes, for $85. 10 x 10. You cannot beat that place. You have to be flexable and go with what they have but that is the only way I can do this project.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

It sounds like you could teach the designers on Trading Spaces a few things about designing on a budget. I hope you will post pictures of your before and after!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I make alot of Bell Toppers, with corded edge and lined. The lining shows where the bells are. I buy cording anywhere. I often cord the edge of these valances with almost anything. The cording may only be used in this one area. I always get complements on my "good taste".
I get 300+ thread count cotton satin bed sheets to line them with. This is how I plan to finance my garden after I retire. If you are unsure, do it with determination.
Your decor sounds terrific. Great minds think alike! ! lol

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

sugarweed, Bell Toppers? Please explain.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I've got to find that camera! The flat valance has a pocket at the top that gathers on a 2" curtain rod.the valence is 2-1/2 to 3 times the width of the window wide. The bottom of the valance has a slow wave in it about 8" deep. When it is gathered the high curve of the wave makes a "bell" with the lining showing around under it. Mine on a 6' window has 6 bells. I have made 4 now. The longest for a window 8' wide.
The length of my valence goes from 16" at the bell to about 24" at the bottom of the curved area between each bell. Like i say, the edge is always corded. I have yet to have anyone walk into that room that doesn't
say something nice about that valance. Even men! I got started with a Simplicity pattern. Dont know the pattern #. I made a permanent one from some nonwoven interfacing. Hope you can visualize. Sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.